Peak 45015

Mikeym

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree 298.

One only has to look at some of the rusting hulks that were rescued from Barry Island to see that in some cases, chucking money at a project can have its benefits. Also, you suggest that "Just because something can't do what it used to do, doesn't mean it shouldn't be preserved" cannot relate to some and not all loco's and using that logic, one assumes you'd be happy to see this loco cosmetically restored, (perhaps with it's original nose?).

Cheers.

Sean.

I'd agree if something had been done to this loco when it was first preserved such as making it weathertight and a proper repaint, but based on the facts to date such as the lack of work done on the loco, the "quality" of the repaint, and the simple truth that the established Peak preservationists didn't want it in the first place speaks for itself.

Having it stuffed and mounted somewhere might seem viable as opposed to outright scrapping, but don't forget any proposers of such a plan must really want this loco to make it happen, as the transport costs for a Peak are considerably more than other more complete locos that might be considered for such a project.

I think therein lies the problem 298, nobody really wants the loco especially considering the state she is in now.....

I understand, (although I don't know the facts), that there was a legal dispute between the purchaser from BR, (or EWS at the time), and the Battlefield Line which led to the loco getting into an even worse state than when she was first purchased.

Such a shame really.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Are these the same steam locos that were fundamentally made by melting metal or hitting things with a hammer...? That wreck did feature some quite precise but unreliable contemporary engineering from 50 years ago, which would require a different approach to restoration than a steam loco.

The point I was trying to make is 'where there's a will......'

I'm sure people at the time thought that (privately) restoring steam loco wrecks was unattainable.

Whilst on the subject - who's saving windows laptops with RS232 serial ports for the upcoming restoration of 'modern' DMU classes eg 165-170 in particular. Using your analogy, ironically, it could be just that which would preclude preservation................

I'm sure people at the time thought that (privately) restoring steam loco wrecks was unattainable.

Good point but remember there are lots of steam engines sat at railway centers that have not and most likely never will be restored as well

• RMweb Gold

Whilst on the subject - who's saving windows laptops with RS232 serial ports for the upcoming restoration of 'modern' DMU classes eg 165-170 in particular. Using your analogy, ironically, it could be just that which would preclude preservation................

Thats called Serial rs232 emulation via USB....that's how the Hornby elite works...

Yes your right about the barry wrecks but 298 is spot on steam locomotives have primitive engineering, and in terms of build are very easy to replicate parts for.......you go to brush and ask for price for a replacement FK-Mk2 (AVR) your looking at 10s of thousands of pounds for piece of kit no bigger than a desktop PC. That's before you get to the point of sourcing an overhauling the governor sourcing a set of intercoolers (which are unique to the 12lda28b so forget about using 47 equivalents).

Anything is possible (if you've got a small countries GDP as disposable income :) )

I'm still certain I read somewhere that there was a class of loco's derived from the Peaks, (I accept there are a number of different Peak variations and I think this class may have been the same as the 44's), running around The Ukraine or Slovakia.

I know 298 et al seem dead set against it, but speaking hyperthetically or "outside the box", if one were to forget costs, has anyone else heard of this class of loco? I'm sure they were featured in one of the recent magazines, traction or the DEMU mag?

As I say, I think it extremely unlikely this loco will ever turn a wheel, but it is good to chat hyperthetics......

After all, there is still the myth that Kestrel exists somewhere in Russia and can be found and bought back to the UK.

Cheers.

Sean.

.............. but speaking hyperthetically or "outside the box", if one were to forget costs.............

As I say, I think it extremely unlikely this loco will ever turn a wheel, but it is good to chat hyperthetics......

After all, there is still the myth that Kestrel exists somewhere in Russia and can be found and bought back to the UK.

Thanks Sean - you get the - 'where there's a will' - hypothetically speaking - 'idea'   :scratchhead:

As for Kestrel, well now !

Also let's not forget the strategic reserve bricked up somewhere in a tunnel near you................

Also just seen your new post - we'll get chucked off here for heresy. :jester:

• Like 1

No 298, you're quite clearly the one who is against it as I don't see one positive post on this thread from you.

I'm merely saying it would be nice to see this "folly" as you so quaintly put it doing what she was built to do instead of rotting away in a siding.

I am however a realist, but like a good discussion as per my post above, so please stop trying to put words into my mouth or belittle my opinion.

Kind regards.

Sean.

• Like 1

Thanks Sean - you get the - 'where there's a will' - hypothetically speaking - 'idea'   :scratchhead:

As for Kestrel, well now !

Also let's not forget the strategic reserve bricked up somewhere in a tunnel near you................

Also just seen your new post - we'll get chucked off here for heresy. :jester:

Well I know of 2 LMS and 1 ex BR diesel abroad that do exist, all 3 not for sale and Kestrel is not one of them  :onthequiet:

• RMweb Gold

Kestrel does not exist anymore, shortly after the russians reverse engineered it, it was filled with concrete and used as a mobile deadweight, estimates had it finally cut in early to mid 90s

sulzer 12ldas continued production by electroputere in romania until 1993, so spares are availiable....kestrels closest living relative is the DB class 232/233 a lot of kestrels technology appeared on this locomotive.

engine isnt the issue on 015 you can fit a 47 engine and mate it to a crompton parkinson generator (no you cant use a 47 generator as class 45s are 220v machines) the issue is the electrical cubical and the auxiliary machines which were 220v (bar the blower motors) and are therefore unique to class 45s and 44s

Am i againsed 015 being restored hell no but....a lot of people have absolutly no idea how difficult it is to return something back to life....

Edited by pheaton

so apart from the fact that 45015 once had some headcode boxes (which are effectively cosmetic anyway) , is there anything actually significant about it to get excited about? Last time I looked there were several Peaks preserved and generally well looked after , so it's not as if it's the only one left (unlike the ACLG collection , or D8233 , D5705 etc).

Without wishing to open a huge can of worms , but it could be argued that there are already too many of certain classes preserved , and , if we're realistic , you can't save them all (unless you have an endless bank balance), so , some being scrapped to provide some useful spares for the remaining class members is surely better in the long run, especially considering the scarcity of certain components which may well be specific to a particular locomotive type (ie the Peak's electrical system).