Storm damage to Cambrian Coast Line

Partial reopening now confirmed on the TAC/ATW website for tomorrow.  Buses from Barmouth northwards, with a two tier service, fast bus to main stations and an all stations plodder.

Anyone fancy a bet on one of my more stupid neighbours managing to stick their car under a train tomorrow on the level crossing in Fairbourne because they were not expecting a train?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Went on a site visit to Llanaber yesterday, and came across this sight after an 800m walk on a track bed with no track: -

post-7024-0-73028100-1393356265.jpg

post-7024-0-21746100-1393356291_thumb.jpg

there are thoughts that the hole will get bigger this weekend. The main problem is that the tide at best will only allow about one hour site work when we've got there.

early start for  Atlantic tunnel then - just a thought  :senile:

or even over to Ireland... but based on the news lately with certain group being let off scot free, better delay it for another 5 years. haha

You never know what will hapen next.... lol

Jamie

Went on a site visit to Llanaber yesterday, and came across this sight after an 800m walk on a track bed with no track: -

attachicon.gifBarmouth_1.jpg

attachicon.gifBarmouth_2.jpg

there are thoughts that the hole will get bigger this weekend. The main problem is that the tide at best will only allow about one hour site work when we've got there.

Good photos!!

cheers neil..

When I was in Aber yesterday I popped in to the station to see if anything was brewing and found no fewer than three Class 97 locos on ballast trains, two of them on a rake of 14 Seacows (count them!) in the platform road and one (presumably 97 302?) just visible in the distance at the up end of more wagons. No sign of anything moving, but with the line due to reopen to Mach on Thursday there's obviously some heavy work going on up the line.

And - as a make-weight - here's also a shot of the frame of VoR No. 7, still sitting looking rather miserable on a couple of wagons and waiting for something nice to happen to it! Good detail for a modeller, though!

post-104-0-43763200-1393925845_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-04634600-1393926099_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-49499800-1393926122_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Those shots show that 'Network Rail Yellow' isn't a precise colour, something I've noticed on ballast wagons at Eastleigh, which are in two very distinct yellows.

Pete

Yellow fades.  the longest lived diesel livery in existence is, I think, the Union Pacific one which is mainly yellow plus grey and black.  The yellow, known as armour yellow, has I believe been made continuously by Dupont since the 1930's.  You often see consists of locos where all 3 or 4 of them are differring shades of yellow, particularly in the harsher climates and conditions out west.

Jamie

Those shots show that 'Network Rail Yellow' isn't a precise colour, something I've noticed on ballast wagons at Eastleigh, which are in two very distinct yellows.

Pete

Indeed - 97 303 had obviously very recently been given a coat of daffodil yellow on both ends, while the rest of the body was in two other shades of yellow.

As for the Seacows, I don't think they've ever seen paint since they day they were built!

• 3 weeks later...

It's Just been announced by Network Rail that the line will reopen between Barmouth and Harlech on May 1st - too late for the Easter traffic, but still a sterling effort by all concerned.

Beyond Harlech depends on the reconstruction of Pont Briwet, but work there on both the new road and rail bridges is said to be going well.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looking at some of the pictures on the BBC report the engineering looks to have been on a similar scale to Dawlish and in very difficult conditions.  Well done to the team that have accomplished this.  I have only travelled on that line once and was surprised at how vital a link it was with schoolchildren converging on Harlech from both directions along with shoppers and other travellers.  A school football team from Barmouth used our service to get to Harlech to play a match.   Well done to all involved.

Jamie

Archived