Military Vehicles and Yard

• RMweb Premium

Now there's an idea, I do have a Oxford Goddess on my shelf, until now hadn't found a use for her!

The military also used 'civilian' fire vehicles such as the Bedford TK also made by Oxford. Only distinguishable from their civilian counterparts by their registrations.

• Like 1

Have just found this site and am now going to follow it with interest. As ex forces,recognised some of the vehicles straight away especially the Saracen armoured cars. once again, great site and will follow with interst. Keep up the good work,also given me a couple of ideas for another layout.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Green goddess, was only in use by the military in the period you are modeling in exceptional circumstances ie the fireman's strike of 77-78, And also in 2002.

That won't stop me putting one on my layout out of period, it just depends on how accurate you wish to be.

Oh and you're going to need some yards of chain to tie down all those vehicles.

Edited by TheQ

I'm holding off adding chains until I get some proper warwells/warflats sorted, plus I keep swapping loads at the moment. The wagons I use currently are stand-ins until I have a go at the WBF kits or Bachmann release their oft promised waflat in 2150. The Lowmacs will work if I am doing up to the 70's but ideally i'm aiming for later.

I'm holding off adding chains until I get some proper warwells/warflats sorted, plus I keep swapping loads at the moment. The wagons I use currently are stand-ins until I have a go at the WBF kits or Bachmann release their oft promised waflat in 2150. The Lowmacs will work if I am doing up to the 70's but ideally i'm aiming for later.

The Lowmacs should really be in BR Bauxite...

• 2 weeks later...

You might have problems with the Bachmann offering if you're a purist as the WW2 one they're promising was modified (new Bogies are the most obvious thing as I recall) sometine in the '60s or '70s.

Ian_B

I know but I they will be better than nothing. I had some really bad experiences trying to put together the Genesis kits, which has meant i'm reluctant to try the Shapeways WBF kits. An RTR looks like the best possibility at the moment until I can boost my modelling confidence.

Thanks for the steer re the AFV kits.  I am aware that getting hold of Cromwell stuff these days can be a challenge; rather bizzarely, it had not occurred to me to look on 'that' auction site for them - doooh!  I will have to keep an eye out - don't worry, I'm only after one or two!  Military vehicles were regular through-traffic in my locale during the period I am interested in.  I will look forward to seeing more of your progress.

Kind Regards,

Paul

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The layout has had a complete rebuild as the garage was leaking/cold/manky so I have a clean slate to start over once more. With the enticing prospects of the Hatton Warflats, and the Bachmann internal wagons it has given me the motivation to revisit this project once more.

• Like 2