Bachmann Tornado Missing something!

iankemp

I know there has been many threads about the model of Tornado but i wonder if any of you have found that there is one detailed part missing from this model! Cos i have noticed it and now i have noticed that bit missing it is putting me off using the model!

The Speedo cable is missing from the left hand side rear drive wheel as it is on the real thing! Hornby have got them on Duchess of Sutherland City of Nottingham Oliver Cromwell Flying Scotsman Sir Lamiel and posibly on the other super detail locos.

Come on Bachmann put the mistake right!

I sent Bachmann a email last night asking about that bit and this is the rply i got.

Thank you for your enquiry. It??™s not an oversight, we no long fit cosmetic speedo cables as we had lots of 4MT and 5MT models returned as a result of owners breaking them. Unfortunately details on models have to be robust enough to stand up in the marketplace.

Regards

Richard Matthews

Service Manager

Bachmann Europe plc

Then i thought to myself if this was the case then why not have it as an option part then! I asked them to send one out to me.

• RMweb Premium

I have to say I think this is a positive step by Bachmann - so far I've broken two speedometer cables on their Std 2-6-4Ts. They are ok if they don't need to be touched, but not when you have to detach them to open up the loco to fit a DCC decoder.

The speedo on a Hornby Royal Scot was a bit of a faff as the body end is glued in place rather than push fit or screwed.

Ideally both ends would be on the chassis but its not always practical to fit a bracket to facilitate that. I can see why they left it off but I agree putting one in the bag would still be nice. Though hard to fit if they also leave the arm for it off!

I wouldn't say its a reason not to run and enjoy the model!

If it gets to you, there are white metal parts available (I can't recall which company makes them). Alternatively, I'm planning to fit a modified Heljan 33 spedo (identical Smiths type) to my model (moulding available from Howes). The only thing that will be lacking is the actual crank to the wheel.

Archived