Hi everyone,

Just to let you know, for those who haven't already found it, Malcolm Mitchell has added a new page dedicated to his old friend and mentor George Iliffe Stokes on his website: www.swindonworks.co.uk  (Click on the Stokes tab).

For those of you into scenic work in general there are loads of photographs to inspire and drool over! Can't believe that this stunning work dates from the 50s!

George was one of our real pioneering scenic modellers from that era - and it's about time that his work should receive the acknowledgement it truly deserves - it will also give a chance for younger modellers a chance to see his work for the first time. Some of the images defy belief that you are actually looking at a model!

Early days yet - but captions are to be added together with transcripts from various articles that now belong to Malcolm. The original text from George's iconic book from the 1960s 'Buildings in miniature' has also surfaced with various updates and modifications added in later years. Hopefully that also will be made available soon.

post-12260-0-00364900-1389435952_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Mr Stokes,

He played a major part in my ' wanting to model Architecture' and the results he got back then were phenominal, a keen eye without question.

I remember the trouble I had trying to get his book 'Buildings in miniature' which now can fetch a tidy sum of money, I think I once saw it on Ebay for over £60.

I battled for a copy on Ebay a few years ago, was up to about £20 and got pipped to the post by I think it was Malcolm Mitchel :-) forgive me if i'm wrong but i'm sure it was.

I managed eventuall y to get a copy without the outer sleeve from a friend of which I am truly greatful, however I saw a copy for £3.50 in immaculate condition so snapped it up, chuffed at that.

cheers

Peter ~A L

• Like 6

Thanks for that. I had no idea there were so many photos of his work. Very few people can get so much soul into a model building, and his winter scenes are extraordinary.

Malcolm Mitchell's feature article on George in MRJ 13 is one of the best items ever in MRJ in my view.

I too managed to get a copy of his book on Ebay some time ago, probably paid around £25 for it. There was even one of his models up for sale once, just (!) a dilapidated lineside hut I think, but I missed out on that. I think it went to John B of this parish so at least I know it went to a good home.

• Like 1

I wonder who holds the copyright? I'm pretty sure a facsimile edition would be a success- there are a lot of far less useful books on the market. I remember that I spent hours trying to emulate his work. And those trees!!

Off topic- any more modellers living in Madrid? Just asking...

Off topic- any more modellers living in Madrid? Just asking...

Hi Jerry.

The memories I have of Madrid are far from happy ones !

I had blown the engine in an old merc campervan - third time round the clock - about 30 miles outside of the city and the tow truck unceremoniously dumped us in downtown Madrid outside 12 high walls, several snarling dogs and a polioce patrol that was in fact the Mercedes main agents in Spain !

Naturaly they weere all celebrating something - aren't they always in Spain?! - and we had to wait a whole week outside the massive gates as robbers rode up and down on scooters waiting for us to leave the camper ( this we were told by a kindly old couple who lived near by in a run down old shanty and who's stunningly beautiful daughter spoke near perfect English and warned us not to leave our camper unattended and that they would get us any shopping that we required  - and gave me a packet of lozenges for the cold that I didn't have

Well, a week and two grand in Pesetas later we were on our way to Germany with a new cylinder head and a free brake overhaul thrown in - and every five minutes or so while we were there, if a Ferrari wasn't driving into the premises, one would be driving out - full of customary Spanish dents of course !

You might know the place, it was right on top of a cement works!

But would I live there ? - You bet !

Cheers.

Allan.

Hi Allan-

I know where you mean, I think. Madrid has its ups and downs (ho ho), but I've been here for 25 years so it can't be so bad. No Pyruma or Colron here, alas, so it's scribed plaster, Wills sheets or Scalescenes "embossed" with a 9H pencil. But the railway museum is only 5 minutes from my house...

Cheers-

Jerry

(P:S: You and Mr Robinson are up there with Iliffe Stokes as inspiration!)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I agree that are re-publication of "Buildings in Miniature" with additional photos would be an excellent purchase, especially if it was published to a quality equal to Wild Swan. That may be expensive, but the subject matter definatly deserves it.

I do agree. It would be a very useful 'reprint'

Whether Paul Karau at Wild Swan would consider such a thing, is another matter!

Welcome Jerry and Kookaburra to the forum.

happy to catch this thread here !

I'm married to Georges daughter, so have to claim some interest in the topic !!

Fascinating to see so much interest in his work over 30 years after his death.

Regrattably I never met the man, but i have been trying to collect as many of his articles as I can.

Interested to gauge how much interest there might be in a republication and updating of "Buildings in miniature". Its something we have discussed with Malcolm on occasion.

In fact I had to buy a copy on Ebay as Sarah didn't have one herself.

You will be interested to know that his daughter has carried on the modelling genius, albeit in a different medium......that of sugar.

if you are interested please mosey on over to emilymadeawish.co.uk

Regards

Ken

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Interested to gauge how much interest there might be in a republication and updating of "Buildings in miniature". Its something we have discussed with Malcolm on occasion.

Welcome to the forum Ken.

I do feel that a reprint would be a successful venture judging by the increased interest in all things scenic in the hobby. Just look at the recent monthly modelling press and the success of authors such as Gordon Gravett and Tony Hill.

Methods of scenic modelling have come on in leaps and bounds since George's day with superb new materials and equipment available, but the fact remains that his work was so outstanding and ahead of its time that it would be of great value if it was to be brought to a new generation (and an old one come to that!)

P.S. Delightful work by Sarah!

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys I have got into this subject via a different route, but all the same I managed to get a copy of the book Building in Miniature from eBay for £25.00 and in fair to good condition.

I have had an email from Peco about doing a reprint and they are fine about it as long as who ever wants to do it, they run it past them first to check for copyright material they may or may not hold.

The one person who told me about George was the late Bob Barlow so I have him to thank for this.

I also believe that there was also a book on scenic work by George? Does any one have the details of that one please?

To be honest I think it would be better to combine as much of Georges work into one new volume, its not to make money but to get his work out to a whole audience what do you think?

Regards

Colin 

• Like 4

I believe that Malcolm Mitchell is working on an extended version of 'Buildings in Miniature' at the moment with Wild Swan and the Stokes family, to include a biography and a wider collection of photographs. Might be worth getting in touch with him?

Sorry if this message appears twice - I don't know if the first one got through or not!

Cheers!

• Like 3

Hello folks,

For those of you who have an interest in the work of my old friend and mentor George Iliffe Stokes and his wife Doris, I can indeed confirm that I am at present working on an updated version of 'Buildings in Miniature' in collaboration with Wild Swan Publications. Not only will this book incorporate the methods and materials he used in his later modelling days, but will also feature a detailed biography of his fascinating life and the influence that his work had on many others including myself!  

The book will be lavishly illustrated with many of his drawings and photographs (of which incidentally I hold the copyright together with the Stokes family) and will include many of his other writings and articles that appeared and encouraged over the years. We cleared the details of this project some years ago at a meeting with John Brewer and young Mr Pritchard of Peco fame.

If Colin wishes to email me with any other questions please do using the contact email address on my website ' www.swindonworks.co.uk '. If you haven't seen my site before, there is a large section illustrating George's work featured on it. 

Watch this space!

All the best to you all, 

Malcolm Mitchell.

www.swindonworks.co.uk     

Edited by Locomitch
  • Like 9

• 1 year later...

Hello folks,

For those of you who have an interest in the work of my old friend and mentor George Iliffe Stokes and his wife Doris, I can indeed confirm that I am at present working on an updated version of 'Buildings in Miniature' in collaboration with Wild Swan Publications. Not only will this book incorporate the methods and materials he used in his later modelling days, but will also feature a detailed biography of his fascinating life and the influence that his work had on many others including myself!  

The book will be lavishly illustrated with many of his drawings and photographs (of which incidentally I hold the copyright together with the Stokes family) and will include many of his other writings and articles that appeared and encouraged over the years. We cleared the details of this project some years ago at a meeting with John Brewer and young Mr Pritchard of Peco fame.

If Colin wishes to email me with any other questions please do using the contact email address on my website ' www.swindonworks.co.uk '. If you haven't seen my site before, there is a large section illustrating George's work featured on it. 

Watch this space!

All the best to you all, 

Malcolm Mitchell.

www.swindonworks.co.uk     

I came across this thread by accident, but was wondering if anything has happened re the updated "Buildings in Miniature"??
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I came across this thread by accident, but was wondering if anything has happened re the updated "Buildings in Miniature"??

No book as yet, but I met with Malcolm earlier this year to discuss the project and hope to progress it further.

It is a book that I would myself very much like to see published.

Simon

• Like 6

Thks Simon

I'm sure the book would be well received, so I'll have to be patient!

I've been on the lookout for an original copy for years..unfortunately I've not been lucky enough to find one in a second hand bookshop for a couple of quid...!!

Martyn

Now I know what to look for at my local charity shops ( and yes I do have afew of them) I will see what comes in if I can find any copies I will post it on here first of all, I do suggest that we all go to the local charity shops now and then you would be surprised what turns up.

Colin 

• 1 month later...