Kettering ironstone Manning Wardle

sir douglas

Hi

Fantastic and thanks for pointing me at that, a new one for me. Those in the know have speculated that she was laid up at this point? She appears to have received a ghastly but protective repaint when stored outside the Manor House and quite out of character. Maroon when built, green after RSH rebuild. I don't know what they rebuilt re looks, I don't think very much but her sisters change quite a bit with full cabs added.

The colour in this image seems really good, I am drawn to the wheels, looks to me like they might have all been yellow, yellow rods and cross head. So that's another line of research .. what colour was she and when.

T

I am working on an article that covers Kettering and the loco liveries and will include a high-res version of that image. I'm hoping to publish it in the New Year in one of the railway magazines.

Edited by gwernol
  • Like 1

I am working on an article that covers Kettering and the loco liveries and will include a high-res version of that image. I'm hoping to publish it in the New Year in one of the railway magazines.

The Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway modelling Review would be an appropriate place to publish it.

http://www.greystarpublications.com/ngi/

Hi. Please give me a heads up on the publication, I'd be really interested.

T

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Black5f,

I have posted a comment on your other thread, but having just read this I wondered if you would be interested in the scale drawings I have made, produced in CAD from the works drawings that I obtained many years ago from the Manchester Museum of Science and Technology who hold the MW archive. Looking at your model, it may be a bit late for them to be of great use, but I have drawings of 6 & 7 too in original (cabless) form.

Some years ago I also did some speculative drawings of the articulated Sentinel based on a few photos, and diagrams and dimensions of contemporary similarly sized engines, though never got as far as building one.

Jim

• Like 2

Hi Black5f,

I have posted a comment on your other thread, but having just read this I wondered if you would be interested in the scale drawings I have made, produced in CAD from the works drawings that I obtained many years ago from the Manchester Museum of Science and Technology who hold the MW archive. Looking at your model, it may be a bit late for them to be of great use, but I have drawings of 6 & 7 too in original (cabless) form.

Some years ago I also did some speculative drawings of the articulated Sentinel based on a few photos, and diagrams and dimensions of contemporary similarly sized engines, though never got as far as building one.

Jim

Hi Jim

Replied other thread (this thread is Sir Douglas's) and sent you a PM.

But I'm sure Sir Douglas would like any images you have on this thread as well.

Take Care

Tom

• Like 1

My models have been in storage for about ten years now, but I've dug them out with some renewed enthusiasm. Unfortunately my Kettering Furnaces No 8 didn't progress as far as I remembered, but here's a photo of the 3' gauge Wellingborough large Peckett in 7mm which I may now get finished, time permitting.  Excuse the quality of the photo and the state of the brass!  I'll give it a good clean before work continues.

Jim

post-25126-0-66513400-1420841883_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim15B
  • Like 9

Thats a fine looking model Jim! The brass will soon clear up, I use Cillit bang and a toothbrush. Can I encourage you to finish it?

I usually use Cast wheels for O and Romfords for 00. But Slaters make additional axles for their O range including scale 3ft and 16.5 which is the option I went for.

My efforts currently run OK though a Peco fine scale 3 way OO point so seems a simple trouble free answer to modelling 3ft gauge.

Take care

Tom

• 2 months later...

My article covers the narrow gauge ironstone tramways at Waltham, Kettering, Scaldwell and Wellingborough. It will be appearing in four parts in future issues of the Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My article covers the narrow gauge ironstone tramways at Waltham, Kettering, Scaldwell and Wellingborough. It will be appearing in four parts in future issues of the Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review.

I look forward to reading these.  

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I look forward to reading these.  

Cheers,

Mark

A quick update on my articles. The first part, covering the Waltham system, has just gone off to Roy Link and is scheduled to appear in issue 105 (January 2016). The Kettering article is due to follow in issue 106.

Dan

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

A quick update on my articles. The first part, covering the Waltham system, has just gone off to Roy Link and is scheduled to appear in issue 105 (January 2016). The Kettering article is due to follow in issue 106.

Dan

My article on the Kettering system is now with Roy Link and will be appearing in issue 06 of the Review which should be going out shortly after Easter.

Dan

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its been a while, any progress on this model?

There is a 3-D print available in 4mm on shapeways, which I'm currently working with. 

attachicon.gifDSC_0029 (2).JPG

Paul A. 

It has been a while. Unfortunately over whelmed with the day job and other things. But, the narrow gauge baseboards are nearly done in the spare bedroom!

Looks a nice model of No 8. Later on she had a wooden tool box thing on the right front of the footplate and has sliding cab "shutters" visible in some pictures.

Tom