Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

• 2 months later...
Guest Belgian

I see that an 'engineering sample' photograph of this model has been released.

It appears that the boiler/cab assembly is to be the usual plastic structure so this model will be quite light in weight. It seems Hornby must have at least two completely divergent production plans as the equally-new (2014 announcements) LSWR 700 class 0-6-0 has a metal cab/boiler construction to give enough heft - even though it's a bigger locomotive than the J15.

Anyone else think this is odd?

JE

• RMweb Gold

I see that an 'engineering sample' photograph of this model has been released.

It appears that the boiler/cab assembly is to be the usual plastic structure so this model will be quite light in weight. It seems Hornby must have at least two completely divergent production plans as the equally-new (2014 announcements) LSWR 700 class 0-6-0 has a metal cab/boiler construction to give enough heft - even though it's a bigger locomotive than the J15.

Anyone else think this is odd?

JE

The look of it suggests a 3D-print job and this sample may have more to do with establishing clearances with the motor/chassis than anything else.

I think it probably represents an earlier stage of development than the 700 samples we have already seen images of.

John

Very interesting!  It's obviously the loco body for 7562 (low single arc cab roof removed mid-30s) paired with the tender for 65476 (post-1892 S23 type) in the post-1926 configuration with water gauge intact and raised coal guards fitted, so a bit of a hybrid at present.

7542 and 65431 usually ran with the earlier pre-1892 S23 tenders with D-shaped lightening holes in the frames. Of course tenders were swapped, and 65476 ran with an early S23 for a few days in Feb 1952, and there are at least two photographs of it doing so, but it was short-lived and quickly got its usual one back. Anyone not in the know would be forgiven for thinking that was the norm, though.

Balance weights are over-large too, but the whole mock-up gives the impression of the J15s and is to my eye very encouraging!

• RMweb Premium

In his discussion with Hornby magazine in their February issue, Simon Kohler said that the SR Drummond 700 was a "diminutive little locomotive, and that to get any form of traction without using tyres they had to add weight and the body will be diecast. ..... The J15 is even smaller and would also have a die-cast body, sprung buffers and a reasonable amount of detail."

You can be sure it won't be plastic - Dunsignalling at post 8 above is right.

John

MREmag http://www.mremag.com/news/bulletin.asp

As above, this looks like a dimension checking print.

Unless all sentiment has died out, this will surely go a bomb when it is seen how dinky the model is. But also of course this is a universal machine for GER, LNER Southern area, and BR(ER); they got off the GE section regularly and being numerous in LNER terms could turn up anytime.  and they can be used on the lightest branch which was a reason behind their longevity, quite genuinely suitable to be the sole machine operating the Little Codswallop and Netherly Junction branch's annual intensive potato/sprouts/sugar beet/whatever harvest trains, and the once a week passenger service to some tiny market town in the Fens.

Unless all sentiment has died out, this will surely go a bomb when it is seen how dinky the model is. But also of course this is a universal machine for GER, LNER Southern area, and BR(ER); they got off the GE section regularly and being numerous in LNER terms could turn up anytime.  and they can be used on the lightest branch which was a reason behind their longevity, quite genuinely suitable to be the sole machine operating the Little Codswallop and Netherly Junction branch's annual intensive potato/sprouts/sugar beet/whatever harvest trains, and the once a week passenger service to some tiny market town in the Fens.

And not averse to taking over toplink passenger trains on the GE when other locos failed.

Stewart

That looks, to my eye, very much like it has been 3D printed. The key reasons are:

*The boiler is a multi-faced item, not a smooth cylinder

*The cab sides and tender show elements of print lines that have been smoothed out

*The dome and chimney also have that "layers of rings" look to them

Frankly, I think that this will be a very interesting model if it turns out like the EP above.

Guest Belgian

Please bear in mind this is a very early EP so any variations from spec may not be cast in stone.

That would be an interesting form of modelling! :O

JE

Edited by Belgian

Just been reading books on Norfolk and Suffolk railways { The mid-Suffolk light Peter Paye } As you say this loco turns up every were. I find it strange we have had to wait so long for a RTR loco of this class. I hope Hornby get this model done some time a long wait a head i think through. Shame I think that Bachmann did not take it up there J11 is a superb little loco Chris

• 1 month later...

Just picked up an excellent new book, 'J15s Remembered', ISBN 978-0-904062-57-1, £9.95, whilst at the North Norfolk Railway in Sherringham.  It has a plethora of photographs and useful text about the J15 including 11 pages of full colour photographs during BR days.  A 'must buy' I feel for anyone interested in these lovely little locomotives.