Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

• RMweb Premium

In their August edition Model Rail say that the first die cast bodies of the J15 have been produced. Hopefully we will see a photo or two soon. It is also clear from what Model Rail say that the J15 will be one of the last of Hornby's 2014 announcements to appear, following the SR Drummond 700 Black Motor, and LNER D16/3 and K1 which are all more advanced towards production.

John

• Like 1

Aficionados of the GE Y14/LNER J15 will be aware of the many variations between batches and periods, and me ol' mucker 'Buckjumper' has listed a number of these earlier in this thread, including a specific mention of the 'D' shaped rather than parallel-sided (mostly) slots in the tender frames.

Apart from the principal changes made by the LNER (cast chimney, Ross pop valves, raised cab roof, tender coal rails) there are several more very obvious differences within the class:

the cab side sheet cut-out is much lower on those constructed up until 1892, after that the lower edge was at the same level as the tender side cut-out - this means different moulds are required to represent earlier and later locomotives;

the last 30 had fluted coupling rods but some interchanging took place over time - the rods could be fabricated flat one side and fluted the other and readily be reversed to suit a specific locomotive;

there were differences between the material used for the driving wheels and the earlier builds had no balance weights;

only those locomotives built by Sharp Stewart had the brake rigging outside the driving wheels;

only some were 'Westo' fitted, and there were other brake variations not visible save at the buffer beam fittings (or absence of them);

those fitted for passenger working had a steam heating pipe running along the right hand valance, later in an insulating sleeve. These also had screw couplings and hence longer buffers;

some had the reversing rod sleeved in front of the cab.

Not an exhaustive list by any means (and certainly subject to errors and omissions) but an indication of the points to be aware of if wanting to renumber the Hornby models with a degree of accuracy.

It will be interesting to see over time what variations Hornby consider worth producing, or if any after-market manufacturers rise to the challenge.

• Like 1

AFAIK Hornby have not announced any date for these models so the rumour will be very hard to prove or disprove.

I seem to have in the back of my mind something about the J15 coming in after the other locos in the current programme.

Interested to see if they produce both tender fame variants.

Other wise it will be a long and or expensive exercise to get what I want.

Most of the other mods needed to produce a particular machine seem not too difficult a task to alter and various parts are available from the usual suppliers. 

Bernard

• 1 month later...

Hi All. Do you find as i do that every time i do a little research into a past local branch line or light Railway { Mid Suffolk light } there sits a J15. Of all the model steam locomotives to have in your collection this must fit in on the most. I have said it before but why have we had to wait this long for it R T R i don;t know. I think this is going to be a top selling loco and hope Hornby pull it off. Looks like Bachmann will hit a home run with there 1F loco BUT still wish they had stayed with the J15 because its looking like a long wait ahead for the Hornby J15

• 1 month later...

Hi All. Do you find as i do that every time i do a little research into a past local branch line or light Railway { Mid Suffolk light } there sits a J15. Of all the model steam locomotives to have in your collection this must fit in on the most. I have said it before but why have we had to wait this long for it R T R i don;t know. I think this is going to be a top selling loco and hope Hornby pull it off...

I cannot agree more. The small size for a main line loco should alone help win impulse purchases when seen on the display shelf. I have suggested to Hornby that they can sell it in a 'Little and Large' pack, in the guise of J15 65479 'Ever Faithful' dwarfed by A3 60075 St Frusquin on the adjacent shed road at KX 34A.

The RTR manufacturers have clearly taken the LNER's big engine policy to heart, with much the most of their prior introductions. Be good to see 'small engines' dominate the next 50 LNER group releases to somewhat redress the balance...

I think I may have support in suggesting the trio of J15, N7 and F4/5 (at a pinch F6) would go down well. Now if you wanted a quirky litle engine that travelled afar to go with the J15, then an F7 would be a good place to look...

Too much GER? Look at my handle here...

Best,

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER

I think I may have support in suggesting the trio of J15, N7 and F4/5 (at a pinch F6) would go down well. Now if you wanted a quirky litle engine that travelled afar to go with the J15, then an F7 would be a good place to look...

Too much GER? Look at my handle here...

Best,

Marcus

But that particular little gem did not even make it into the current wish list poll.

Any body got any idea of when photos of exactly what we are going to get J15 wise will be available?

Bernard

I cannot agree more. The small size for a main line loco should alone help win impulse purchases when seen on the display shelf. I have suggested to Hornby that they can sell it in a 'Little and Large' pack, in the guise of J15 65479 'Ever Faithful' dwarfed by A3 60075 St Frusquin on the adjacent shed road at KX 34A.

The RTR manufacturers have clearly taken the LNER's big engine policy to heart, with much the most of their prior introductions. Be good to see 'small engines' dominate the next 50 LNER group releases to somewhat redress the balance...

Indeed, but those big main line locomotives do have a certain 'something' that impresses me, at least. Perhaps the reasoning is that, by comparison, those lovely 'little' engines looked so scruffy and forlorn plodding away in the beet fields and taters out in the middle of nowhere at the end of their lives that our benighted marekting wizards in 'RTR Corporate' could not see that this is the whole appeal of these engines and their surroundings!

Similarly if anything is going to come crashing out of a tunnel below street level in east London, the first image is always going to be the Fenman or a Harwich boat train (OK, they got lost - I am doing this for effect). The N7 and close-coupled/articulated sets slinking alongside simply vanished in the smoke, a momentary blur the most one can recall of them and so lost on those marketing wizards once again.

Edited by EHertsGER

The GER standard 0-6-0T is a stand out for a model. Got off the GER patch to a greater extent than any other LNER class of 0-6-0T I believe. I have suggested to Bach that when the J72 comes up for renewal, the J67 - 69 is a far better bet for a small LNER 0-6-0T. Never previously available so they will do far better on new sales, same small size appeal, well distributed, and with the eye-popping GER livery available, including the BR Liverpool Street station pilot job.

Interesting factoid regarding J15. While I don't have the full information to hand at this point, I have it on good account that a solitary J15 found it's way to industrial use in Lanarkshire and was apparently plated by the BTC for local mainline use. Requires deeper investigation I think.