V-scale (virtual) Preston - Carlisle & Dumfries

jp4712

I don't know if anyone else here ever dabbles in the 'dark side' of virtual modelling, but if so the new Train Simulator route from Dumfries to Preston via Carlisle and Preston is definitely worth a look. I have explored it end-to-end in each direction, and it's very atmospheric: I even spotted Low Gill viaduct on my way north, and there are many, many details that made me think 'gosh yes, there is a house in exactly that spot'.

I especially like the class 87 that comes with the route: this is tricky to drive because it is modelled with the tap-changer control, and also - a first in computer train simulation as far as I know - there are working neutral sections in the overhead. It was quite spooky going over the neutral section hearing a 'thunk' as the electrickery cut off the blowers for a second and the line light in the can went out.

I've spotted that the Carlisle avoiding line via Caldew Junction is in, which closed after a crash in 1984: but I haven't tried a service along that line yet. Anyway, for a BR blue fan like me it's well worth a look.

Paul

[edit] just spotted that the route author put some videos on YouTube:

Okay, the way this game works is as follows: (please accept my apologies if you know all this already)

1. You buy the base game, Train Simulator 2014. This typically comes with about three routes bundled, from memory in the current version you get Hamburg - Hanover; Donner Pass in the USA; and London - Faversham via HS1. With each of these you get a small selection of appropriate rolling stock, so on London - Faversham you get a class 395 Javelin to drive.

2. You can stick with that if you wish; but most people buy 'DLC', which stands for Downloadable Content'. This can be individual items of rolling stock, or routes. The routes invariably come with some appropriate stuff to run on that route.

3. Now, finally answering your question - this particular piece of DLC, the WCML over Shap route, comes with a blue 87; a blue 47 in 'plain blue with dominos' and 'large logo' variants, so there's your Carlisle - Dumfries question; Mk2b; Mk3; and an assortment of 70s wagons such as HAA, OAA, PCA, PGA etc.

4. With a very small amount of easy tinkering, you can run any stock on any route - so ICE3 from Ebbsfleet to St. Pancras, anyone? But more seriously you can buy a Royal Mail 325 and try that on this Shap route; or an 87 in InterCity Exec livery; or a Voyager; or a pair of 37s or 20s; or a 50; or a steam special....

5. One thing we modellers have to get our heads around is that if you buy, say the particularly nice class 90 that's available, you don't get one - you get 'em all, you can set things up so that as you drive northbound you can pass about four of them coming the other way if that's how your run has been set up. It's easy to think that £20 for a loco and carriages doesn't sound like good value when it's only a load of computer pixels that you can't hold in your hand, but when you say you have as many 87s as you like it works out well.

6. You have a choice of how you choose to set up a drive, once you're in there. The simplest way is 'quick drive' - choose your starting point, choose your end point, the AI (artificial intelligence) will set the road, off you go. Personally I find that a bit unchallenging - no adverse signals, no timetable, not much in the way of AI trains coming the other way. So most people prefer to run the included 'scenarios', which are more scripted. So at the start you're put in your train and given instructions. That might be to call with an express at Lancaster, Oxenholme, Penrith and Carlisle at set times; or to take a freight to Kingmoor. Again the road is set for you by the signalman but there's much more potential for simulation such as yellows as you follow another train, or to be held with your freight train in a loop until a passenger has passed, that kind of thing. You can also dabble yourself in creating such scenarios yourself, and there are loads of free ones to download on the internet (just so long as you have the trains specified that are in that scenario!).

The other thing to get your head around is the distance - your route can be, er, '1:1 scale' so it really does take well over an hour to get from Preston to Carlisle. No fiddle yard, no foreshortening, no loop, it really is that long. It fills me with admiration for real drivers knowing the real route!

Hope that helps

Paul

Shame there is not a version for iMac

J

Parallels runs Windows on a Mac. I use it for Signalling Centre (http://www.sigcent.com) and it works a treat.

I'm a very serious very longtime Mac user and I, for one, would be very happy if the simulations ran on Mac OS . . . but realistically, while so many people still persist with the Dark Side, its fairly unlikely that we will see them running on Mac OS any time soon.

You don’t realise how much it has been hurting until you stop banging your head against Windows!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It has upperby shed, in fact it has all the sheds that were open in Carlisle in the early 1980s as best can be told. Also has the pre derailment canal bypass line, as well as Kingsmoor yard.

Re Upperby, are those lines by the side of the WCML just south of the last road bridge carriage sidings? It certainly has those in at any rate, as well as the cement sidings at upperby.. So lots of potential for some Class 08 shunting.

It has upperby shed, in fact it has all the sheds that were open in Carlisle in the early 1980s as best can be told. Also has the pre derailment canal bypass line, as well as Kingsmoor yard.

Re Upperby, are those lines by the side of the WCML just south of the last road bridge carriage sidings? It certainly has those in at any rate, as well as the cement sidings at upperby.. So lots of potential for some Class 08 shunting.

Thanks.  In the late 80s and early 90s the sidings immediately south of St Nicolas Bridge were used mainly for departmental wagons, unsure of their use before and since.

that makes sense, because I think in the Simsig recreation of Carlisle in the 1980s, they seemed to have departmental trains stabled in this area.

Ive had my own stab at doing this area on my rebuild of the default Settle and Carlisle Route, the only difference is that the shed isnt electrified as it is in the Shap route, simply because I couldnt find any evidence that it was. I think it must have mostly shut before the WCML was even electrified?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=182318147

Ive had my own stab at doing this area on my rebuild of the default Settle and Carlisle Route, the only difference is that the shed isnt electrified as it is in the Shap route, simply because I couldnt find any evidence that it was. I think it must have mostly shut before the WCML was even electrified?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=182318147

Electrification reached Carlisle around 73 (can't find my copy of "Rail Centres: Carlisle" to confirm) whereas Upperby was open into the 90s. However the main shed and associated carriage sidings were not electrified, I know that in 90 & 91 (and probably beyond) Inter City services that needed overnight stabling were assisted by an 08 shunter.

Your route (routemod?) looks interesting, I'll give it a try the next chance I get. :)

Yes, that sounds right. I noted on the photographs of a derelict upperby I found on flickr there was no evidence of any electrification, or indeed in any of the shot of steam locos there from S and C Railtours in the 1970. Indeed thats presumably why the locos went there, htey could drop the carriages off in Howe sidings, and run light engine to Upperby (and presumably latterly Carnforth) without ever going under any catenary.

Thanks for that. yes its slowly being added to. Ive got to put in the bypass line around the Citadel and perhaps put in the yard and shed at Kingsmoor, but thats for the future. A friend of mine has smoothed all the track, so as soon as ive got the signalling fixed, I shall up it. Should be ok as is at the momen though, but as I say, you need the original S and C route to make it work. Which is probably worth it for the Jubilee and the EWS Class 37 and cement wagons in my view.

Archived