Westbrook

Alcanman

I've wanted to build a New England layout ever since I visited the area in 1993 and 1994.

Looking for small branch operations I came upon this video of the Pan Am/Guilford branch from Portland, ME serving the Sappi paper mill at Westbrook, ME

This provided a name and inspiration for a new layout, although I won't be modelling the actual location. The mill appears to receive only clay slurry (kaolin) cars.

The layout plan is very simple, with a couple of spurs serving a warehouse (possibly paper products) and a grain (feed) unloading facility using a new Walthers kit.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-4036

post-7898-0-74722500-1390136920_thumb.jpg

Although the a run around is not really neccessary with both spurs facing the same direction, I like to see trains 'arriving' with the engine leading.

Also the run around allows the incoming cars to be left on the front track while outbound cars are switched out. Rather than simply shoving and pulling cars Inglenook style.

The layout can, of course, be operated as an Inglenook with the front track being used a team track.

Mal

I agree with Nick - super video. I love the train comes "onto the layout" from between the trees in the video - very inspirational for a model.

Good looking plan, Mal. I like the use of the non-rail served warehouses. A refreshing break from the idea that every inch of  layout real estate has to have a spur serving an industry. Nice one!

I also agree with your philosophy of having the negine leading - it just seems right somehow!

Definitely engine leading onto the scene, as someone pointed put to me, running round is another train movement on an exhibition layout. The shot when the train is going into the distance; five cars and a GP40 running long hood first - very modellogenic.

Nick

Thanks guys.

I pleased you like my idea for presenting the layout. Having watched lots of videos like this in New England, I'm struck by the way the trees arch over the railroad tracks creating a natural scenic break,

perfect for modelling. I may try this at right hand end of the layout. This should be possible to create with Sea Moss trees (Super Trees) as they often have curved tree trunks!

Mal

Its a pity NECR changed their nice colour scheme, I stayed in the Boston area with family for 2 weeks a couple of years ago and took a trip to Maine, saw lots of track and at night could hear plenty of horns but other than the MBTA trains didnt see any others :(

Good looking plan, Mal. I like the use of the non-rail served warehouses. A refreshing break from the idea that every inch of  layout real estate has to have a spur serving an industry. Nice one!

Another use for non-served warehouses along the line is to add some realism with abandoned/cut-out spurs.  Most industries built along a railroad were built there for a reason... but that doesn't mean they still do receive rail service.    In fact, I'd go so far as to say MOST buildings alongside the track that once received service no longer do.  So you can add some realism by putting in something like this...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=28202&ll=35.27149,-80.910828&spn=0.00079,0.001032&hnear=Charlotte,+North+Carolina+28202&gl=us&t=h&z=21

See here, the mechanical workings of the switch are still there but the connecting rail has been taken out.

W8Zo7kK.png

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=28202&ll=35.268944,-80.910411&spn=0.000791,0.001032&hnear=Charlotte,+North+Carolina+28202&gl=us&t=h&z=21

The switch here is completely gone and all that remains is the spur running towards the track that's still in-service.  (The "main" here isn't really as screwy looking as it seems, it's just where two images are stitched together badly)

IlvcELw.png

http://binged.it/1eZtIgq

Another example of the switch taken out completely.

Sqhqgxi.png

http://binged.it/1jnv05H

And you could even go further.  Here's a steel place that used to get service.  The gate is still there in the fence and the track in the asphalt remains too, but the whole lead has been taken out.  You can still easily make out where it used to run, however.  The gate is circled.

tNpWZzr.png

Of course, there are plenty of places where someplace is out-of-service but the track or switch hasn't been removed.  You could simulate this too... model a tiny little orange lock to put on the switch and heavily rust the spur, cover it with weeds and saplings growing up between the ties, etc.

Nice idea. I did model a disused warehouse with rusty track on a previous layout.

post-7898-0-48131400-1390234425_thumb.jpg

However, it occurs to me I could simply lay a short length of track next to one of the warehouses and use it to store spare stock.

Mal

However, it occurs to me I could simply lay a short length of track next to one of the warehouses and use it to store spare stock.

Mal

Oh yeah, absolutely.  This is common in industrial parks and whatnot.  Examples from the same area...

Here there's a long cut of cars stored on one leg of an old wye... (The other leg is out-of-service).

YY7hktb.png

Here's a long cut of cars stored on an old runaround... (The switch on the right side of it is out-of-service.  You can also see a track just above that runs beside that long warehouse.  This was also used to store cars until the track got so bad it had to be taken out-of-service and of course the owner of the building isn't going to pay to fix track they're not using for themselves.  Later on there was a derailment around that area and the switch was removed in the clean-up.)

1utYqO4.png

Here's another example... not quite the same.  The industry at the end of this lead is still in-service... you can see 2 of their cars at the top.  They get 5 in, 5 out every night (3 are inside the building out of view).  But that doesn't mean that exactly 5 cars come into the yard every day.  Sometimes they'll get in 10, 15, 20 at one time.  So what they'll do is store extra cars on the lead towards the industry, or at least as many as they can fit to free up space in the yard.  Can't put too many in this particular place though because the hill is STEEP up towards the plant and the job that works this place usually only has 1 motor or a slug-and-mate.

WF0XzDI.png

Storing cars on spurs for out-of-service industries can also add a lot of detail to operating sessions.  Just as an example from those previous two pictures... all those tank cars are stored for a big transloading facility.  But when they're worked, they don't take just any cars.  You have to spot SPECIFIC cars.  And of course they're not going to be in order in the storage tracks!  So you'll go out there each day and have to dig out a bunch of cars from the Wye and the Runaround.  So you might have a bad day and end up with a situation where your "spot cars" are the ones circled here!

mCFl94D.jpg

qnurqyK.jpg

But it gets even better.  Not only do they want specific cars spotted, but the spot cars can't just go in ANY track.  They have to go in SPECIFIC tracks.  And of course, when you dig them out, they won't be in perfect order either!  You might have 2 cars that go to the same track separated by cars that go to other tracks... etc.  So while this is a pain in the butt for crews, it makes for lots of interesting switching in an operating session!

But wait, there's more!  If you DO have a layout with both an industry and a storage track, your train that comes in can have cars in it that are destined to be both spotted AND stored!  So not only are you digging spot cars out of the storage tracks, but putting cars from your train back in for storage too!  And of course, they're often jumbled up.  For example, it's plenty common to be in a situation like this when you get a ride across the street to your train.  Red cars are spot cars, blue cars are storage cars!

98kPE39.png

You can imagine, that'd make for a long, crazy operating session!

Thanks TL for the fascinating insight into switching operations. I really like the storage track idea, it'll give me a chance to display more stock.

When designing the plan I wanted to avoid using 1 spot industries which are often used on small layout plans but not common on the prototype. The warehouse has 3 spots which means that cars which are not fully loaded have to be returned to their spot during switching. This can add to the time taken to switch the warehouse.

Despite the simplicity of the plan, the design offers quite a variety of switching operations.

Mal

I've made good progess with the layout, mainly due to the mild winter weather which has enticed me into the garage.

Also, as a serial small layout builder, I'm aware of the amount of waste as each successive layout ends up on the council tip!

I must have bought enough Peco track and turnouts to build a layout the size of Rod Stewart's empire!

So, for this layout I'm trying to re-cycle where possible. Firstly, I re-cycled the timber framework from the previous layout and the MDF for the baseboard top didn't cost a penny as I used loyalty points at Homebase.

Total cost of benchwork - £0.00  ($0.00)  :no:

Peco turnouts were also re-cycled and the warehouse was made by joining together 2 structures from previous layouts.

Track is now laid and tested.

post-7898-0-47776600-1390393864_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-76965900-1390393888_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jacques.

After throughly testing the track and locos running smoothly at slow switching speed, I proceeded to hand paint the track with my usual mix of Humbrol enamels and then ballast with a slightly

darker grey mix of Woodland Scenics fine ballast than that which I used on my Florida layouts. My observations of ballast in New England being generally darker than Florida.

As usual, the weeds quickly grow on my layouts!

The ground cover between the tracks has had a little 'garage dirt' sprinked over the ballast. 'Garage Dirt' is simply dust collected from the concrete floor in my garage. I'm always sweeping the garage floor and thought the dust might be useful. It has to be sieved, of course, to get rid of the spiders!

post-7898-0-68143400-1391007002_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-91358500-1391007279_thumb.jpg

Mal

Mal I am going to have to stop looking at your threads - they are far too inspirational !!! ;)

I also like the idea of a siding (to give it the correct US term) on the board so the loco can arrive "properly" ... I'm planning one for my new O scale layout, but it'll be on a yet-to-be-built extension, so won't be at this year's TVNAM :D

Talking of which, Mal - I know it's a long way for you, but if you were to bring your old layouts and sell them at the show - instead of - shock horror - throwing them on the Council Tip :O - you'd easily make some money.... ;)

Thanks guys.

I'm already enjoying the simplicity of operating the layout. At 3ft 6ins the siding (run-around) is long enough to hold both the loco and 3 x 50ft cars. Visually this looks much better than the much shorter

siding on my Deerfield Beach layout. That layout had, additionally, 2 trailing spurs, which offered more operating potential but became something of a switching puzzle, timesaver style.

For now I'm liking the 'less is more' arrangement.

Mal

Archived