PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL!

When a member receives notification of a PM in their inbox it contains the following line:

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL!

You can reply to this personal conversation by following the link below:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/blahblahblah/

So how come people reply to the email directly? It won't reach the intended recipient as it ends up in one of my junk email folders.

• RMweb Gold
So how come people reply to the email directly?

Hi Andy,

It's because many folks use only webmail and don't actually understand the difference between email and a web site. They don't realise that clicking "Reply" on a webmail page means sending an email.

I have similar wording on Templot Club notifications, and also get people replying by email.

There are several such places on RMweb where the instructions assume a greater level of computer understanding than many folks possess. Not sure what to do about it though. You can't write a computer manual in every help topic. :(

regards,

Martin.

Andy,

I suggest you add .... Replies not monitored or forwarded ..... to the first line

and insert inblock capitals in large font ..... ONLY ..... in the second line

Add colour of choice!!!

Good luck with the move.

• RMweb Gold
I suggest you add .... Replies not monitored or forwarded ..... to the first line

Hi Don,

That won't work. Folks who didn't understand before won't understand the meaning of "monitored" or "forwarded".

I suggest:

If you can see a "Reply" button above this message, DON'T click it. Your message won't go anywhere if you do.

If you want to reply to this message, click the link below.

But many folks still won't take any notice. It's easier just to give up. It's their loss. :)

regards,

Martin.

It's because many folks use only webmail and don't actually understand the difference between email and a web site. They don't realise that clicking "Reply" on a webmail page means sending an email.

... the instructions assume a greater level of computer understanding than many folks possess.

Um, why do they need to understand computers, Martin? It's plain English - how much clearer could it be than PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY in huge great capitals :)

Hi Don,

That won't work. Folks who didn't understand before won't understand the meaning of "monitored" or "forwarded".

I suggest:

If you can see a "Reply" button above this message, DON'T click it. Your message won't go anywhere if you do.

If you want to reply to this message, click the link below.

But many folks still won't take any notice. It's easier just to give up. It's their loss. :)

regards,

Martin.

The main problem with that message is that it's just a tad patronising ;)

How about: "Remember to log into RMweb.co.uk/Community to read and reply"

• RMweb Gold

Um, why do they need to understand computers, Martin? It's plain English - how much clearer could it be than PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY in huge great capitals :)

Because they don't understand what "directly" means in that context.

They can see a message on their screen and they just want to make a reply to it.

The skill in writing instructions is to forget everything that you know and put yourself in the reader's shoes instead.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
The main problem with that message is that it's just a tad patronising ;)

It's only patronising to those determined to be patronised. An intelligent reader will understand why it's there and not mind in the least.

regards,

Martin.

Perhaps it is their way of saying Thank You for the notification ;)

Best smile of the day, that one.?  :D

However there could be several classified transactions that go wayward as a result of sending replies into a black hole (both sellers and buyers).?  <_>

• RMweb Premium

Maybe the best way would be to make the reply "undeliverable" so it just bounces back to the sender who failed to read the instructions. I am sure that it is possible to set up an address so that it sends but will not allow incoming messages that get bounced.

Chris

Because they don't understand what "directly" means in that context.

They can see a message on their screen and they just want to make a reply to it.

FFS. Immediately below the capitals (yes, right below, not even double spaced), it says this:

You can reply to this personal conversation by following the link below:

The skill in writing instructions is to forget everything that you know and put yourself in the reader's shoes instead.

I'm sure it is Martin, and I too get exasperated (on here, at work) by systems that are not user friendly; but if I had to be spoonfed to that extent, they're not shoes that I'd like to be in :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold
I'm sure it is Martin, and I too get exasperated (on here, at work) by systems that are not user friendly; but if I had to be spoonfed to that extent, they're not shoes that I'd like to be in :rolleyes:

Hi Ian,

You don't have to like to be in them, just understand that others might be. Everyone has different skills. When you dial 999 and the paramedic arrives, you don't ask if he knows how to forward an email with an attachment.

regards,

Martin.

When you dial 999 and the paramedic arrives, you don't ask if he knows how to forward an email with an attachment.

No, but if there was a notice in the ambulance station that said DO NOT KILL ANY PATIENTS, I'd hope he could read and understand it :)

• RMweb Premium

I had a brilliant and original insight here, then I saw it said PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL so I was all :( because I wasn't supposed to reply.

Andy, have you noticed an increase in this happening since moving to the new software? On the previous forum the message itself wasn't included in the email so you had to click through to the site to read it at all - that surely must have helped make it more obvious?

Expanding the scope of this thread, if I might be permitted, I note that the banner that Andy has been using to update those who managed to connect to the Forum now reads

...A new server from a new host has been ordered...

Does this imply that the last waiter was cr*p, died, retired, whatever, and is being replaced, and so has the person who is giving the party;?)

Maybe the best way would be to make the reply "undeliverable" so it just bounces back to the sender who failed to read the instructions. I am sure that it is possible to set up an address so that it sends but will not allow incoming messages that get bounced.

Chris

That is my thoughts as well - bounce replies back but then I know some people who when they get a bounced e-mail - scratch their head & say " what the.... is this all about?" because the reason is not on the first line. I do not know how they manage to send an e-mail or join a forum in the first place!!

There is a saying " you can lead a horse to water but cannot make him drink" so large typed letters will not fix the problem - bounce them back!

If people are savvy enough to join a forum & post, etc, eventually they will ask on the forum, "what gives with bounced back replies?"

Archived