Bachmann E4

Graham_Muz

do you think it would be possible to keep the 6 pin socket and put the speaker in the cab?

Good to see I'm not the only one who got 3 E4s! :)

Yes you could providing you don,t mind ripping the cab apart as I have (no easy task I tell you) , drilling a hole for wires to pass through, and then reassembly it again (lots of fine handrails and pipes to pop back into place, I,m going to need to be alone for a weekend).

Personally, my recommendation is, if you are not being greedy wanting to add crew and firebox glow like I did, then hardwire the chip and fit a small sugar lump at the front. It will be a lot less hassle IMHO to rip the blanking plate out than strip down the cab (which is glued in some parts).

Since the photo were taken, I also got Birch Grove making it 4 now, but I will stop there.

Edited by JSpencer

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am trying to locate a picture of an E4 in alternative liveries, specifically BR plain black with either Bullied Sunshine British Railways lettering (and full 32xxx number as opposed to S2xxx number) or the later Gil Sans version.

I have a cheap plain black one sitting here and want to do something different with it but the usual searches come up with just lined black ones or 473.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for changing the smoke box door and ring to the alternative version?  The Bachmann model is only of the original what I call rounder smoke box door version, there was also a more dish shaped riveted ring (LSWR?) variant as well.

• Like 1

Bachmann do two smoke box door versions. The original domed LBSCR one and the flatter Ashford (SECR) one which sat inside the smoke box face rivets.

The latter smoke box can be found on Bachmann's early crest Plain BR black model (which I think is the one you have). Bradley's locomotives of the LBSCR part three has a photo of such an engine in early lined BR with British Railways written on the side with this flat door. I have not seen any photo with BR numbering in Bullied style though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well I have managed to find a few variations to have a go at.  32479 wore plain black with BRITISH RAILWAYS and full number in Sunshine lettering (photo in Locomotive Legends mag I came across purely by chance in WHSmiths this afternoon) which goes on my to do list.  

I am doing a smokebox door swap between a demic E4 (whose sorry remains I found in a dark corner of Ebay) and a plain black one that will become 32473 in plain black early crest but with the domed door and then I want to do a lined black BRITISH RAILWAYS lettered version, a photo of which a Google search turned up but annoyingly the number is not visible.  Anyone able to help with its identity please?

• 4 months later...
Guest Midland Mole @ Footplate

35-079 Class E4 0-6-2 32494 BR Lined Black with early crest is now in stock. :)

Alex @ Footplate

Edited by Midland Mole @ Footplate

do you think it would be possible to keep the 6 pin socket and put the speaker in the cab?

Good to see I'm not the only one who got 3 E4s! :)

I have two, the LBSC one and also Birch Grove. I think I'm going to buy the new Southern livery one as well. 

I suspect we will see the Atlantic in LBSC colours but I understand that to offer the locomotive in this livery would be 'wrong' as the cab was narrower in the pre-group period. Is that correct?

I have two, the LBSC one and also Birch Grove. I think I'm going to buy the new Southern livery one as well. 

I suspect we will see the Atlantic in LBSC colours but I understand that to offer the locomotive in this livery would be 'wrong' as the cab was narrower in the pre-group period. Is that correct?

I think it was the other way round. The LBSC loading gauge was larger than the other Southern constituents, and the SR rebuilt the cabs to a lower and more rounded profile to allow them to run on the lesser lines. The chimney and dome were also reduced in height to suit.

Guest Midland Mole

I wonder if they picked the number 2517 because it's one of the top results on Google :P (my display pic)

I would not be surprised :D

Alex

Mine came today! My little corner of East Sussex is slowly starting to look more Easterly and not so over-run with Ex-LSWR loco's :P I don't know what to do with B473, I'm either gonna get it renumbered to 2473 still in green or completely repaint it to wartime black, I checked to see how easily the numbers come off today, turns out all it took was my finger nail to pick a bit of number off so they should shift easily if im just renumbering and not repainting, but I'm very tempted to do it black, but I reckon Bachmann might release a black one next year maybe, wartime black seems to be the in-thing for model companies Southern locos at the moment... Which is useful :)

post-29051-0-21438600-1497888110_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-64829400-1497888074_thumb.jpg

Edit: also pleased it came with another bundle of route discs, I don't understand why Bachmann doesn't sell them separately, they're so useful!

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 10

Mine came today! My little corner of East Sussex is slowly starting to look more Easterly and not so over-run with Ex-LSWR loco's :P I don't know what to do with B473, I'm either gonna get it renumbered to 2473 still in green or completely repaint it to wartime black, I checked to see how easily the numbers come off today, turns out all it took was my finger nail to pick a bit of number off so they should shift easily if im just renumbering and not repainting, but I'm very tempted to do it black, but I reckon Bachmann might release a black one next year maybe, wartime black seems to be the in-thing for model companies Southern locos at the moment... Which is useful :)

Edit: also pleased it came with another bundle of route discs, I don't understand why Bachmann doesn't sell them separately, they're so useful!

I haven’t seen such a delightful pair since ... better not say. If it were me, I’d leave things alone. After all, they couldn’t have renumbered the entire stock overnight. One might think black is just black but Bachmann applies a beautiful black.

Lovely piccies; thank you.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I'm doing some due diligence before I purchase 32556, but I'm struggling to find any evidence, photographic or otherwise, of the duties that the Eastleigh based E4's would have undertaken in the mid to late 50's.

Would anyone be able to educate me if possible?     

Hi all,

I'm doing some due diligence before I purchase 32556, but I'm struggling to find any evidence, photographic or otherwise, of the duties that the Eastleigh based E4's would have undertaken in the mid to late 50's.

Per Bradley Eastleigh received 32491/92, 32557/58/59/62/63/79 in 1948/49 for local shunting duties, carriage piloting and short distance goods working. 32510 also went to Eastleigh after its abortive trial on the IoW.

32510/59/79 stayed at Elh until they were withdrawn in 1962, 1960 and 1959 respectively.  The others all moved on between 1954 and 1958 but 32563 which left Elh in 1956 returned in Dec 1960 for the last few months of its life (withdrawn 7/1961). 

Chris Knowles-Thomas

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just came across this on Ebay. "32556 (class E) at Eastleigh in store 18/11/53".

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hants-Hampshire-railway-EASTLEIGH-tank-locomotive-32556-PHOTO-1953-127x75mm/161481403402?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41415%26meid%3Dba67c7b7f2ce42e280828f6e00a8e4b9%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D152127643133

Edited by 90rob

Thank you both very much.

I had found a photo or two of that particular engine on shed at Eastleigh in 1957, but by this time it had received a fresh coat of paint and lining (though still with the early emblem).

It's quite hard to find photos of Eastleigh E4's out and about and I wonder how far they ventured into Hampshire/how far west they got in general. 

Nevertheless, I think even if the short goods workings weren't that adventurous, Rule One is always a reliable fall back!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Seeking a little help, please; recently received No 32494 (35-079) and am struggling to workout where the air, steam and vacuum pipes go (six pieces total)...  The paperwork included isn't very clear and doesn't show the back of the locomotive, hence unable to differentiate between sizes.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Edited by jafcreasey

• RMweb Premium

A few made it to Eastleigh so from there it is not beyond the realms of impossibility to have seen them travelling to Southampton and maybe even as far as Bournemouth.  Rule 1 can be applied of course!