Mercian 0-4-0 0-4-0 Garratt, Heljan 37 & Kerr Stuart Wren

Giles

• 2 weeks later...

I've been dooing a bit more to my Heljan 37, including fitting it with Pete Harvey etched steps (which are no end of an improvement!) These were silver-soldered, rather than soft-soldered.

I also replaced a lost brake-shoe by taking a silicone pattern from it, and lost-wax casting a replacement in silver (for convenience) at home (as we have the technology to melt small quantities of silver, brass, bronze etc. in the kitchen microwave, believe it or not!)

83f68f9f93f131bd6d822a4175068881_zpsiiqj

962dd6f24e5441ef0ac3a0ff6b215c7a_zpskown

Edited by Giles
  • Like 5

Guest Isambarduk

"(as we have the technology to melt small quantities of silver, brass, bronze etc. in the kitchen microwave, believe it or not!)"

Care to elucidate, Giles? I am interested to hear about this. David

Here's an thorough video explaining the process from the chap who devised the system. Di and I did the days course ( £100 each) and found it very enjoyable.

Di and I did the course and bought the kit....

Edited by Giles

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic work on the Garrett!

I read your very informative article in NGIRM and since found your thread here.

The finish on both this and the 37 are superb!

Polishing the paint reminds me of my friend who used fine wet and dry like you on his 12" : foot Jaguar F Type as he was not happy with the the factory applied lacquer, was too dull! Now looks absolutely stunning. Of course, he won't be weathering!

• 2 weeks later...

i've been doing a bit of detailing on the 37 using some Pete Harvey etches. Here we now have the first hand brake lever ( and chain). Now the bogie side frames have to come off for the least excuse on the Heljan, and therefore you can't 'join' the body and bogie side frame together. I therefore bought some 5mm x 1mm disc magnets from ebay, glued one to the underside of the chassis, and one to the brake lever. the added benefit is that they're self-centring, (and strong) so you only have to rotate them to the position you want. Very easy!

B781176E-DC01-4A5B-867B-810975A93EAB_zps

I also fitted (the first) corner step, very fine and very small

D3BF6487-D7FC-4C61-A37E-1A261780AFA9_zps

Edited by Giles
  • Like 9

(i didn't have time to finish this post as visitors came over!)

The other detail change was the removal of the moulded on horn grilles, and replacing them with PH Horn Grilles (on the same etch as the steps). it was not a job I was looking forward to on a fully painted loco, but actually, with care, it was surprisingly easy with a sharp scalpel. the newly bare plastic was then filed smooth and then painted matt black. The etched grilles were partially chemically blackened before being glued on with a small amount of epoxy.

I'll take some decent photos when it's all tidied up.

There's still a small amount of weathering tidying to do (and the small step and brake lever haven't been touched yet.....)

910BA380-8139-4DB4-8119-4E08D596BCD7_zps

Edited by Giles
  • Like 2

(i didn't have time to finish this post as visitors came over!)

The other detail change was the removal of the moulded on horn grilles, and replacing them with PH Horn Grilles (on the same etch as the steps). it was not a job I was looking forward to on a fully painted loco, but actually, with care, it was surprisingly easy with a sharp scalpel. the newly bare plastic was then filed smooth and then painted matt black. The etched grilles were partially chemically blackened before being glued on with a small amount of epoxy.

I'll take some decent photos when it's all tidied up.

There's still a small amount of weathering tidying to do (and the small step and brake lever haven't been touched yet.....)

910BA380-8139-4DB4-8119-4E08D596BCD7_zps

Superb job Giles. Will you have a pot of Swarfega close by for cleaning up after handling the Class 37 as it looks as if it will be needed?

• Like 1

Thans Chris!

I can't abide a clean loco...... (those soluble oils do a lovely dirt layer, though!)

Of course I remember blue 37's up the Valleys - I'm sure there must have been green - any takers?

Edited by Giles

Thans Chris!

I can't abide a clean loco...... (those soluble oils do a lovely dirt layer, though!)

Of course I remember blue 37's up the Valleys - I'm sure there must have been green - any takers?

They were indeed found in The Valleys. One of my books has a cracking photo of EE Type 3 D6907 with a down goods train passing near Crumlin Low Level on the Ebbw Vale line in 1967. As a Western Region loco it sports the ex-GWR route availability blue spot. I suppose I ought to acquire one for Cwm Bach in the fulness of time.

I thought I'd try and do a bit more justice to Pete Harvey's bits and pieces. It could do with a touch from an air brush, but otherwise it's there. (and it sounds nice!)

The handbrake levers and chains make a lot of difference (I got the 2mm x 1mm chains off Ebay), and the magnets to hold them (5p each) work brilliantly, and all-in-all, the Heljan dresses up nicely considering it's a reasonably basic model in comparison to JLTRL.

IMG_3897_zpsrhioatng.jpg

IMG_3909_zps62p5j7fw.jpg

IMG_3914_zps4xoegb9r.jpg

IMG_3899_zps876qcwbq.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 8

I thought I'd try and do a bit more justice to Pete Harvey's bits and pieces. It could do with a touch from an air brush, but otherwise it's there. (and it sounds nice!)

The handbrake levers and chains make a lot of difference (I got the 2mm x 1mm chains off Ebay), and the magnets to hold them (5p each) work brilliantly, and all-in-all, the Heljan dresses up nicely considering it's a reasonably basic model in comparison to JLTRL.

IMG_3897_zpsrhioatng.jpg

IMG_3909_zps62p5j7fw.jpg

IMG_3914_zps4xoegb9r.jpg

IMG_3899_zps876qcwbq.jpg

Tis a thing of beauty, a pleasure to behold.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Giles i purchased  this kit from Jim Harris way back in 1999  . I had to give up the hoppy  of kit building due work commitments . However now retired and got lathe etc out off storage and started to build send kit I'm also ordering new kit from Mercian  so your coverage is a blessing and a big thankyou for your hard work