Prodigy Advance not working properly

br-nse-fan

I sent this email to MRC back on Jan 1st, but as of yet, have not received a response... hoping someone on RMweb might be able to help!

A number of years ago, I purchased a Prodigy Advance system (not ‘squared’), and up until recently it has been running perfectly.  It has however, started to act erratically.

I have about 30 OO locomotives from Hornby, Heljan and Bachmann UK. These locomotives are fitted with mostly TCS and Digitrax decoders, with a small quantity of Hornby and Bachmann decoders also.

The erratic behavior can best be described as follows…

1. Power on base station
  2. Select loco 5007  (Hornby Class 50, locomotive 50 007)
  3. Lights and direction functions respond, loco does not move when forward or reverse speed is increased from 0
  4. Select loco 3588 (Hornby Class 423, 4-car multiple unit # 3588)
  5. Same as above
  6. Select loco 2435 (Bachmann Class 24, locomotive 24 035)
  7. No lights fitted, but locomotive responds when forward or reverse is increased from 0
  8. Select loco 5837 (Heljan Class 58, locomotive 58 037)
  9. Lights and movement function normally
  10. Power off base station
  11. Wait 1 minute
  12. Power on base station
  13. Select loco 5007  (Hornby Class 50, locomotive 50 007)
  14. Lights and direction functions respond, loco does not move when forward or reverse speed is increased from 0
  15. Select loco 3588 (Hornby Class 423, 4-car multiple unit # 3588)
  16. Lights and movement function normally
  17. Select loco 2435 (Bachmann Class 24, locomotive 24 035)
  18. No lights fitted, but locomotive responds when forward or reverse is increased from 0
  19. Select loco 5837 (Heljan Class 58, locomotive 58 037)
  20. Lights and direction functions respond, loco does not move when forward or reverse speed is increased from 0
  21. Power off base station
  22. Wait 1 minute
  23. Power on base station
  24. Select loco 5007  (Hornby Class 50, locomotive 50 007)
  25. Lights and movement function normally
  26. Select loco 3588 (Hornby Class 423, 4-car multiple unit # 3588)
  27. Lights and movement function normally
  28. Select loco 2435 (Bachmann Class 24, locomotive 24 035)
  29. No response from locomotive
  30. Select loco 5837 (Heljan Class 58, locomotive 58 037)
  31. Lights and direction functions respond, loco does not move when forward or reverse speed is increased from 0

In actuality, it is quite random… but the above example I believe gives an indication as to the trouble I am having.

Has anyone ever come across such behavior, and/or any suggestions as to how to resolve this issue?

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter,

I have this same controlle which I had used without any issue for many years. It might be an idea to see if there are specific decoder that this happens to

I use some Bachmann but I'm the main use Lentz or SRI.

Have seen where light go off but think its s signal issue caused but dirty track. Run a 4 wheel locomotive such as the Sentinel or W&M railcar and it struggle but without the blue Pullman it runs smoothly!

I'd check chip's and clean tracks first.

I have this same controlle which I had used without any issue for many years. It might be an idea to see if there are specific decoder that this happens to

I use some Bachmann but I'm the main use Lentz or SRI.

Have seen where light go off but think its s signal issue caused but dirty track. Run a 4 wheel locomotive such as the Sentinel or W&M railcar and it struggle but without the blue Pullman it runs smoothly!

I'd check chip's and clean tracks first.

I don't believe it is an issue with any specific chip as power cycling the base unit will give a different mix of decoders that work and don't work.

Use my example above, and simply replace what the locomotive is with a selection of different decoders.  What I listed above is simply an example... for all I know, they all have TCS T1 decoders in them :)

Track is fine, it was the first thing I checked.

Could you try resetting the controller? I have no idea if the MRC has a reset of any sort but may be worth a try if you can.

I asked that in the email to MRC... no answer...  Google has not returned anything, but then I've not had the time to search deep enough

Having problems with mine too. mainly not powering up when first switched on and at times keypad not responding (yes I have checked the connections) A while ago the transformer gave up the ghost and I had to replace it. I just feel that connections are not being made and restarting seems to sort out the problem until the next time it dies

I sent this email to MRC back on Jan 1st, but as of yet, have not received a response... hoping someone on RMweb might be able to help!

A number of years ago, I purchased a Prodigy Advance system (not ‘squared’), and up until recently it has been running perfectly.  It has however, started to act erratically.

I have about 30 OO locomotives from Hornby, Heljan and Bachmann UK. These locomotives are fitted with mostly TCS and Digitrax decoders, with a small quantity of Hornby and Bachmann decoders also.

MRC will not necessarily respond to your e-mail as the Prodigy Advance is an MRC product re-badged by Gaugemaster, so its really Gaugemaster who will need to deal with your problem

I suggest that you contact Gaugemaster directly by phone or e-mail. I have had a Prodigy2 for several years and although I have not had any actual problems, I have contacted Gaugemaster a couple of times for advice and they were extremely helpful.

• RMweb Premium

Having had a PA2 for a few years and repaired twice by Gaugemaster FOC through no fault of the unit, but because of silly things I've done, I would agree that the service they provide is truly excellent, outstanding it could be said, and they have gained over the years a reputation for this which is fully deserved.

However, in this particular case, as the OP appears to reside in Canada, and has referred to contacting MRC, I would guess that it is a original MRC badged unit that is involved, and not a UK bought Gaugemaster badged one.

Izzy

MRC will not necessarily respond to your e-mail as the Prodigy Advance is an MRC product re-badged by Gaugemaster, so its really Gaugemaster who will need to deal with your problem

I suggest that you contact Gaugemaster directly by phone or e-mail. I have had a Prodigy2 for several years and although I have not had any actual problems, I have contacted Gaugemaster a couple of times for advice and they were extremely helpful.

Oops... maybe I did not indicate... but mine is actually an MRC product (bought in Canada, eh!).  I looked at the Guagemaster one, and when I realized it was the same thing, I saved my pennies and bought the native one, not the exotic import.

<---- I'm in Canada  :)

• RMweb Premium

Thinking through your issues, I'm wondering if it might just be a fractured/ broken wire issue somewhere, either between the base station and track, or base station and handset - normal Ethernet cable and connections - and might be worth checking out.  Or possibly a faulty handset, rotary knob/push buttons failing. There have been reports on the MRC Yahoo group of these kinds of issues at odd times over the years and erratic behaviour as a result.

Izzy

I am surprised that you have not had an answer from MRC as I emailed them and had a reply within 6hrs. It may be worth asking them if they can update it to the squared, I had mine done by Gaugemaster and it cured some of the odd querks that the basic unit has, like loosing locos from the roster, and changing the direction of the loco on the track if a short happened.

I think the ribbon cable that comes with the unit could be at fault, so try a computer link cable they have the same plugs and the wires are twisted strnds, whereas I thnk the ribbon is solid wire.

regards

mike g

I am surprised that you have not had an answer from MRC as I emailed them and had a reply within 6hrs. It may be worth asking them if they can update it to the squared, I had mine done by Gaugemaster and it cured some of the odd querks that the basic unit has, like loosing locos from the roster, and changing the direction of the loco on the track if a short happened.

I had a similar problem to you a while back, as it was Gaugemaster branded version with a lifetime warrenty a quick call to the Enginshed where they told me to return it to them, resulted in a returned working unit within 10 days and upgraded as well which was bonus for free.

Hi

I have a PA and used it without issues for several years.

When you press any command button does the data LED flicker?

Things worth checking before you do much else are...

Ensure the green four way plug is securely fitting into the rear of the base station. Its removable for easy wiring and could become a loose fit.

Check the throttle to base station lead is in good order and its two plugs are connecting securely to their cable and they are of course plugged in and locked securely.  It may be worth just unplugging each end and refitting them a couple of times just so as they wipe clean their connections as they are removed and reinserted.

Check the track output leads actual two copper wires are being gripped by the green terminal plug and not the wires insulation.

Check the two track feed wires are not broken or partially broken. Run two temporary feed wires if need be to prove.

Good luck.

Archived