Mallard Partwork

Apart from the motorising kit which was old separately, yes it is complete.

I may put it on ebay at some point, as I'm not depserate to sell it though, it will be when there is a free listing weekend as I don't want to face too much in the way of selling fees. I've been hit before and effectively gave books away for free that I paid over £20 for.

• 4 weeks later...

That looks lovely.

Please can you show a pic of the valvegear, it would appear to be all there, but I have never found anyone listing the radius rods, valve guides and valves.

Would you mind awfully doing a link for us?

I had it in mind to get some etched, but it's expensive for two bits, and if there are alternatives out there....

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Update:

For those wishing to produce the model without skirts, Laurie Griffin now does the required valve covers and cross heads, beautifully crafted in cast nickel silver.

The alternate valve gudes are already in his range.

post-13196-0-62063300-1505311606.jpg

post-13196-0-29904100-1505311613.jpg

I'm currently still looking into getting drawings done so as to have the radius rods and possibly the conjugated gear, etched in nickel silver. Hopefully they will follow prototype practise and be 3-d around the die-block and forked at the valve rod end.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at starting this build once I get back from france again in early November.

Can anyone comment as to whether the etchings ALL need the coating removed before they can be soldered?

• Like 1

After 2 and a half yearsI I have finally finished this build, this will definately be the last "Hatchette" build for meattachicon.gif100_1966.JPGattachicon.gif100_1969.JPG

Looks Great Peter, but just a cautionary bit of advice....... That table that you have your pride and joy sitting on looks like the same tables that are sold here in Australia - usually from Bunnings and others - They are known to have the glass explode without warning, which of course means that everything on the table does the swan dive to ground level. We have had 2 go so far - just BANG! - and glass granules everywhere! Not overly hot, one was in the shade, nobody seems to have an explanation. Just saying mate, I hesitate to put my coffee on the damn things now, and it would be a tragedy if that was to happen.

Love the opening smokebox door by the way!

Cheers,

Bushrat

Edited by bushrat

Blast!

oh well.......solvents away........

Hi Jeff,

Solvents probably wont get it off. Early in the build I tried acrylic lacquer thinners, enamel thinners, metho, and all the usual suspects.

The ONLY thing that I found that seems to remove it is paint stripper, and plenty of it!

With the Boiler and front section and skirts, the same applies, but I needed to use 2 applications with a scotchbrite pad and gloves (of course)

These are worth doing as the amount of detail hidden by the coating is quite astounding, I think that the coating on the "grey" parts may in fact be some sort of powder coating.

Once the coating was removed from the white metal and brass parts, I found that they tarnished very quickly - overnight in fact - so I got around this problem by brushing a thin mix of WD40 and sewing machine oil over the assembly at the conclusion of work - not too much or it will affect the super glued bits, so go easy on them. Then I just washed off with liquid soap and luke warm (not hot as it will destroy super glue joints) before the next session. A pain in the rear end but it saves it from tarnishing, and since we don't know if it's white metal or "mazac" it's probably worthwhile to keep it in check.

Like you, I am late starting this, I finally have all the bits and bobs apart from a motor, but I came to a grinding halt at issue 30 and have been trying without success to get started again for a year now!

Ah well, I might get it finished by the time I drop off the perch!

Cheers,

Bushrat

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Mitro-mors is a waste of time as it has been weakened recently.......

Without doubt ... the best and quickest stripper for this project is.......................................

post-17779-0-60439200-1506606140_thumb.jpg

....and at the same time you can pick up a cheapo glass dish to work with.....

....very rapid effect...  rince with water and a stiffish brush...fininsh off with   Wilko`s medium wire wool.....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there iam new to this brm forum I've been buying the odd build the mallard does any body have a list of which parts come in what issues as I don't need them all as I've some a4 parts also alot of the mallard magazine are only £4.00 from hatchee I need the cast roof desperately so if any one can tell me the issue I would be grateful thank you

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...