SDJR Bagnall 0-6-0T - suitable stock?

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Sorry for the long silence on this topic.  I now have two of the Bachmann Bagnalls so one will be up for renumbering; I am also contemplating a 4F to repaint into blue.

Otherwise, I have the SR wagon history book ordered.

Again, thanks for all the advice and information.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

Sorry for the long silence on this topic.  I now have two of the Bachmann Bagnalls so one will be up for renumbering; I am also contemplating a 4F to repaint into blue.

Otherwise, I have the SR wagon history book ordered.

Again, thanks for all the advice and information.

Regards,

Alex.

As Jerry says Alex, never blue. They were delivered in unlined black. Brass numbers on the cab side as well, not transfers. Not sure if S&DJR on the front buffer beam.

Also 3F in unlined black. Same as 4F.

Don't forget the Hornby 2P which was done last year, I think, in blue.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Further to the above, a photo in Robin Atthills 'A Picture History of The S&D'(page 60 )shows a close up of the front of 58, apparently just after delivery in 1925. There does not appear to be any lettering on the front buffer beam. If could however have been added later.

Don't forget Alex, you could run LM&SR liveried locos alongside S&DJR locos. Page 63 of the same volume shows LM&SR 4F 4168 (black ) double heading S&DJR 2P 41 (blue ) on a northbound passenger train in 1929. The train is possibly ex Midland Clerestory stock( Maroon). Certainly the closest coach appears so.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

As Jerry says Alex, never blue. They were delivered in unlined black. Brass numbers on the cab side as well, not transfers. Not sure if S&DJR on the front buffer beam.

Also 3F in unlined black. Same as 4F.

Don't forget the Hornby 2P which was done last year, I think, in blue.

Rob

At least one of the 3Fs made it to 1930 still in lined blue - number 73 from memory although there is a picture in Jenkinson and Essery of it in blue with the hand painted LMS lettering in 1930.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Leading on from Jerry's last post. Great picture in Hammonds 'Heart of the S&D', pages 8 and 9 has 2P 45 newly lettered LMS in 1930 but still in lined blue with 45 numberplate on the smoke box with 634 painted below.....

Great

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

In light of the information on 'mixed' liveries and legends perhaps we need a 'transition liveries' section for the grouping and nationalisation, as well as the current one for diesels.

Thanks for the warning that the 4Fs were always black; having seen both Bachmann and Hornby (c/w Fowler tender) models in lined blue I simply assumed ......  I remember passing up the chance to pick up a blue 2P in ModelZone before it closed, though I think the Hornby release may have been a couple of years ago.

Once more, thanks for the shared wisdom.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

Shameless Plug Alert!    http://www.lightmoor.co.uk/view_book.php?ref=L9877&section=CatNew  will soon be available...

Richard

Don't suppose this volume includes the coal merchant at Weston(Bath), Chas. Jobbins, Richard.

Rob

Don't suppose this volume includes the coal merchant at Weston(Bath), Chas. Jobbins, Richard.

Rob

Yes it does, but only a couple of paragraphs. I've only found records of two wagons operated by Jobbins. Was it common for MR stationmasters to moonlight as coal merchants?

• RMweb Gold

Not sure. Chas Jobbins is related to me. His daughters, who later ran the business, we're my late mother's great Aunts. I would love to find a photo of one of the wagons or find out details of the livery/lettering etc.

Strangely, I had become interested in the Midland and the S&DJR long before I knew about the family's connection to Weston (Bath). One day, I was chatting with my Mother and she went and got a load of photos. One of these showed Charles Jobbins in full stationmaster's uniform on the platform at Weston. From similar photos in one of Colin Maggs books, it was taken circa 1905. I believe he was Stationmaster there for some 28yrs and ,as you say, ran a coal business from the goods yard...well, siding.

Rob

Not sure. Chas Jobbins is related to me. His daughters, who later ran the business, we're my late mother's great Aunts. I would love to find a photo of one of the wagons or find out details of the livery/lettering etc.

Strangely, I had become interested in the Midland and the S&DJR long before I knew about the family's connection to Weston (Bath). One day, I was chatting with my Mother and she went and got a load of photos. One of these showed Charles Jobbins in full stationmaster's uniform on the platform at Weston. From similar photos in one of Colin Maggs books, it was taken circa 1905. I believe he was Stationmaster there for some 28yrs and ,as you say, ran a coal business from the goods yard...well, siding.

Rob

Hi Rob

I'd love to find a photo too! I suppose if one were to collect every known photo of Weston station, a few might show the goods siding and maybe, just maybe, one of those might have one of Mr Jobbins wagons...

In my book I do make an attempt, however feeble, to give the wagon owners some sort of identity, but there's nothing like a direct family connection. Thanks for sharing your memory. In the unlikely event that there is ever a 2nd Edition I'd love to include a photo of Charles Jobbins himself – even if we don't find his wagons.

Richard

PS: I've only got Florence as being involved in the business. Which other daughters (and there were several it seems) joined her?

Edited by wagonman

• RMweb Gold

You could be right Richard. My mother always refered to Florence but I do recall her speaking about Eva and Mabel but how involved they were I cannot tell you.

'Life on the Railway' by John Owen, has a lot of detail regarding the Jobbins family and I can do no better than refer you to this volume.

A family photo then....

Charles Jobbins is on the right with four of the girls, Gertrude, Florence, Mabel and Eva. To the left is their brother Charles.

Rob.

post-14122-0-72659800-1395315515_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You could be right Richard. My mother always refered to Florence but I do recall her speaking about Eva and Mabel but how involved they were I cannot tell you.

'Life on the Railway' by John Owen, has a lot of detail regarding the Jobbins family and I can do no better than refer you to this volume.

A family photo then....

Charles Jobbins is on the right with four of the girls, Gertrude, Florence, Mabel and Eva. To the left is their brother Charles.

Rob.

Wow. That's brilliant. It's a shame the book has gone to the printers...

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Cheers, Richard, nice find. Lots of info on S&DJR and Midland railway in Bath. Very good book and some nice photos to boot.

Enjoy!!!

Rob.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

A family photo then....

Rob.

Charles Jobbins was my great grandfather. Florence ran the coal business, Mabel was a teacher, Eva ran the house, Gertie sadly died young. My grandmother Elsie was the only daughter to marry. She  married  Arthur Lanham also a station master, at Yate, where they lived in the station house until retirement. LMS I believe.   All the daughters,my great aunts whom I remember with fond affection, remained at the house in station road until Eva died in 1976. A happy dynasty of bright and delightful people,  possibly still remembered till today !! 

• RMweb Gold

Charles Jobbins was my great grandfather. Florence ran the coal business, Mabel was a teacher, Eva ran the house, Gertie sadly died young. My grandmother Elsie was the only daughter to marry. She  married  Arthur Lanham also a station master, at Yate, where they lived in the station house until retirement. LMS I believe.   All the daughters,my great aunts whom I remember with fond affection, remained at the house in station road until Eva died in 1976. A happy dynasty of bright and delightful people,  possibly still remembered till today !!

We must be related. Pm sent, P.

Rob.