SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

I notice the station building foot print is near a curved part of the platform at the eastern end.

Will this compromise the extensions to the main building at all ?  I'm asking due to the requirement (or not) of ensuring the standard / minimum platform width at this point.

• RMweb Premium

Buddleia are a protected species in the grounds of Kernow Towers, not that I have any say in the matter.

No railwayman who started his career before privatisation could possibly be a fan of the plant, that's what I say.

Rosebay willowherb.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Buddlesya is brilliant for flutterbys but it does need pruning otherwise it ends up doing the urban railway sprawl.

Phelps

we like to throw in a few stingers too, I say "throw in"... leave alone ;)

• RMweb Premium

Didn't realise they were still going. Saw them a couple of times on the Edinburgh Fringe in the 80s. Very funny and very sharp.

I first came across them, when I was sent a clip of 'Cheap Flights' and they re-emerged at the weekend when I was sent 'Dogging', but I didn't connect the two until I googled 'dogging song' the result of which I have passed on to the discerning visitors to this thread.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Buddlesya is brilliant for flutterbys but it does need pruning otherwise it ends up doing the urban railway sprawl.

Phelps

I dug the one that had planted itself in our garden after the bees and other flying things had gone to bed for the winter. It was a tad too tall for the garden waste bin so the lid stayed open. I am a real enthusiastic gardener and thought I will wait till the bin is full before putting it out. Come spring time and I wheeled the bin out to the front, the blighter was in flower in the bin.

• RMweb Premium

I notice the station building foot print is near a curved part of the platform at the eastern end.

Will this compromise the extensions to the main building at all ?  I'm asking due to the requirement (or not) of ensuring the standard / minimum platform width at this point.

Not at all dear boy. Thank you for being so observant.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Bad mood alert. Decided that, as I was feeling knackered after Tai Chi (why do I bother?) I would sit in the sunny front room and watch my two DVDs about creating Scenery and that sort of stuff. Bl##dy things won't play proper. I've tried cleaning the player with a cleaner disc and that don't work either. Now I'm annoyed but not too annoyed as my wood (for station experiments) order turned up this morning (Hobbycraft, ordered late yesterday p.m.) and my 14mm spade drill, also ordered yesterday afternoon.  

I feel better now.

Parf

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning. Mood improved! I am so impressed with delivery of stuff I've ordered in less than 12 hours. This time it was just a sheet of copper clad so as to be able to play at making some simple point switches as per Model Rail article.

May I ask a question of you experienced fellows and lasses?

In your experience would you use plasticard or wood for platform tops?

Having aquired some wood I'm not convinced as the Balsa could be too fragile and the Bass Wood looks like it may be affected by the atmosphere (bit like me really). I'm happy to use Balsa or Bass for supports etc. as it is so easy to cut.

Plasticard can also be scribed very easily and will take spray paint and other finishes.

Merci.

Philth

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning. Mood improved! I am so impressed with delivery of stuff I've ordered in less than 12 hours. This time it was just a sheet of copper clad so as to be able to play at making some simple point switches as per Model Rail article.

May I ask a question of you experienced fellows and lasses?

Having aquired some wood I'm not convinced as the Balsa could be too fragile and the Bass Wood looks like it may be affected by the atmosphere (bit like me really). I'm happy to use Balsa or Bass for supports etc. as it is so easy to cut.

Plasticard can also be scribed very easily and will take spray paint and other finishes.

Merci.

Philth

Phil, I use 60 thou styrene sheet. Make sure it is well supported.

• RMweb Premium

Phil, I use 60 thou styrene sheet. Make sure it is well supported.

Thanks, I was considering using 0.5mm Plasticard with plenty of support (probably a layer of Balsa on whatever suits foundations) and doubled up/laminated where the buildings will go so I can 'plant' them nicely in the top layer 'cut out'  if required. Stu has very thoughtfully supplied the Up building footprint so that one is OK. I must resist rushing this particular job as I have not even considered the size of the Down Building. That particular item will be a compromise as I do not have  anything more than a few not very clear pics of the Branch face and only one distant view of the Platform 2 Down face at the moment. The roof/ canopy is more straight forward.

There are plenty of other uses

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've used cardboard top on a balsa base.

Here's a picture taken in 1980:

post-6816-0-19239400-1524758213_thumb.jpg

The platforms have outlasted the track; the Pecaboo underlay died after 20 years or so, and the track in that station has been hand-rebuilt on cork base without moving the platforms. The catenary has been rebuilt since then too, but that's another story. The layout was last exhibited a fortnight ago.....

Qroke

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I was considering using 0.5mm Plasticard with plenty of support (probably a layer of Balsa on whatever suits foundations) and doubled up/laminated where the buildings will go so I can 'plant' them nicely in the top layer 'cut out'  if required. Stu has very thoughtfully supplied the Up building footprint so that one is OK. I must resist rushing this particular job as I have not even considered the size of the Down Building. That particular item will be a compromise as I do not have  anything more than a few not very clear pics of the Branch face and only one distant view of the Platform 2 Down face at the moment. The roof/ canopy is more straight forward.

There are plenty of other uses

Phil

Phil, I am pretty certain I used 40thou as it is almost a flush fit with the platform edging stones. Try it.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

It is green. Suppose it is OK for Up the Junction, and other layouts based on that railway south of the Thames.

Now you're talking - a well known town called Swindon is nearly 11 miles south of the River Thames while that well known junction of Didcot is 3 miles south of the Thames.  In fact only about 30 miles out of 80 miles at the eastern end of the GWML is north of the River Thames.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Phil, I am pretty certain I used 40thou as it is almost a flush fit with the platform edging stones. Try it.

Rob.

Merci. I shall see what plasssi I have lurking upstairs and do some offering up. Pity the Pecoboo edging isn't 'deeper' as the 'real' SJ Platform edging slabs are quite large. It would save me a lot of scribing. By the way, best not to say 'flush' otherwise Stubbers may get overexcited.

P

And guitars

E Claptout

and they do tards.

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Merci. I shall see what plasssi I have lurking upstairs and do some offering up. Pity the Pecoboo edging isn't 'deeper' as the 'real' SJ Platform edging slabs are quite large. It would save me a lot of scribing. By the way, best not to say 'flush' otherwise Stubbers may get overexcited.

P

I've been up to check (and do some fiddling with plastics that you might see tomorrow on my return from sunny Derby) and my Basswood sheet is 1.6mm and a perfect fit for the platform 'surface' that butts up to the Pecoboo copings. If I decide to use Plasticard there is 1.5mm (60thou) available, it can come in 440 X 325mm sheets from Station Road Baseboards and that will do. I might use Basswood for the Down and Branch Platforms and Plasticard for the Up. Who knows? Who cares?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Small, far away.

attachicon.gifsmall_far_away.png

That green diseasel must be very far away?

Information announcement; the A38 and M1, in very heavy rain and festering with huge trucks all going too fast, is bl##dy horrible. Derby wasn't sunny but I did find a parking space for the Royal Hospital in Sainsburys, about 5 minutes drive away. Parking at the Hospital is almost impossible except in the middle of the night or on a Saturday afternoon.

Now to have a rest and study my pics of The Junction Station and area.

Ar$£.

P

Edited by Mallard60022