Card Kits & Card Modelling Using Cereal Packets

Thanks David. I'll look at making the name at the top editable. It would have to be in fairly basic text, ie. no effects on it at all as Adobe Reader can't handle photoshop layer styles etc. I'll have a look and see what I can do. If you want something specific and I can't make it editable, let me know what you'd like there and I'll edit one and send over a replacement page for the top section.

Thanks, nothing specific in mind, just thought it might be a nice idea to be able to have a different name if needed.

If that can't be done, could you just include in the layered pdf a blank "no-name" version so that way the weathering could still be included?

Thanks, nothing specific in mind, just thought it might be a nice idea to be able to have a different name if needed.

If that can't be done, could you just include in the layered pdf a blank "no-name" version so that way the weathering could still be included?

Yes that's no problem :D

Evening All,

Here's a few photos of a diorama I've just finished to showcase some of my recent kits. This one uses the 1930's factory, old industrial wall, concrete slabbed pavement, editable road signs and a road section that I've been working on.

What do you think? What could I have done better?

Cheers

Justin

post-20808-0-31973500-1395428176_thumb.jpg

post-20808-0-47348800-1395428177_thumb.jpg

post-20808-0-46792200-1395428178_thumb.jpg

post-20808-0-61795400-1395428179_thumb.jpg

Evening All,

Here's a few photos of a diorama I've just finished to showcase some of my recent kits. This one uses the 1930's factory, old industrial wall, concrete slabbed pavement, editable road signs and a road section that I've been working on.

Cheers

Justin

OK, that's not fair, substituting real photos for your models, just not cricket!! :) :)

Seriously, those ground level shots are really amazing - I may cheat and use exactly the setting you've created for a section of my layout. Do you have different era road signs? I'm modelling BR/SR 50s-60's pre end-of-steam. Honestly, even though that's when I grew up, I'm b**ug**er**ed if I can remember what the road signs and markings looked like now. Seems to me the yellow road lines are post 60s, right?? <sigh>.

EDIT: Disregard the road sign question, I simply went to your web site and see the right thing(s) now - will be geting some as needed, I did sign up for the newsletter too - all looks very nice.

OK, that's not fair, substituting real photos for your models, just not cricket!! :) :)

Seriously, those ground level shots are really amazing - I may cheat and use exactly the setting you've created for a section of my layout. Do you have different era road signs? I'm modelling BR/SR 50s-60's pre end-of-steam. Honestly, even though that's when I grew up, I'm b**ug**er**ed if I can remember what the road signs and markings looked like now. Seems to me the yellow road lines are post 60s, right?? <sigh>.

EDIT: Disregard the road sign question, I simply went to your web site and see the right thing(s) now - will be geting some as needed, I did sign up for the newsletter too - all looks very nice.

Thanks Ian! I should be quite a straightforward scene to recreate actually. I weathered everything in photoshops so it should all just look right when the kits are printed and assembled. The hardest but was joining up the road and concrete yard sections so the gaps couldn't be seen. The only bit I'm not happy with is the visible join in the pavement between the end of the straight section and the corner piece. But I' just thought of a better way to join them which I might do a tutorial on very soon once I've tried it out.

On the yellow road markings... Yes I think they we're post 60's. I did toy with the idea of using a cobbled road and factory yard but decided to mix old and new and go for modern road markings and concrete yard.

One thing I would like to try next, which I don't think anyone does is asphalt pavements. I don't think here are any slabbed pavements around here anymore. They've all be asphalted now. Wracking my brains as to how to model dropped kerbs in card!

I think that looks very realistic, the only point I would make is the road sign supports look a little undersize.

Thanks Mike. I completely agree. I only had that thickness of florists wire in my stores so had to make do as I was on a deadline! They need to be slightly thicker and another 5mm or so longer really.

Only things I would change is to use brass frets or strips of styrene to make up the windows. If the crosswise support on the signs is printed I would also use some styrene to make those.

Otherwise magnificent!

The hardest but was joining up the road and concrete yard sections so the gaps couldn't be seen. The only bit I'm not happy with is the visible join in the pavement between the end of the straight section and the corner piece. But I' just thought of a better way to join them which I might do a tutorial on very soon once I've tried it out.

There was a post on here about joining lengths of platform surfaces. Might be worth trying out.

One thing I would like to try next, which I don't think anyone does is asphalt pavements. I don't think here are any stabbed pavements around here anymore. They've all be asphalted now. Wracking my brains as to how to model dropped kerbs in card!

Hate to tell you that Scalescenes already do UK and US road & pavement kits. These include tarmac surfaces which can be used instead of the paving slabs. The tarmac is already in the station platform kits too, I've used it for various surfaces including the roof of this:

IMG_2312.JPG

IMG_2332-1.JPG

Hate to tell you that Scalescenes already do UK and US road & pavement kits. These include tarmac surfaces which can be used instead of the paving slabs. The tarmac is already in the station platform kits too, I've used it for various surfaces including the roof of this:

Yes I'm aware of his pavements & roads. There's always room for a different / better / alternative one though. The world around us isn't built with the same bricks, concrete and asphalt, so a good mix from different suppliers can only improve & add to the realism of a layout imho :D. The pavements around here so patched and random, and the roads are even worse now.

I'll have a hunt around for that post on joining platform surfaces :)

Very much the case that there's room for different suppliers, just answering the question!  I like to have a range of different items which is why I mix Scalescenes, other downloads, plastic kits and my own scratchbuilding.

I'm really impressed with your items, especially the '30s factory,  wall and gate, and the advertising boards.  It's just a question of finding where I could put them!

Very much the case that there's room for different suppliers, just answering the question!  I like to have a range of different items which is why I mix Scalescenes, other downloads, plastic kits and my own scratchbuilding.

I'm really impressed with your items, especially the '30s factory,  wall and gate, and the advertising boards.  It's just a question of finding where I could put them!

Of course :) all input is very much appreciated! A mix of media works really well I think. Just wish I could get better results with plastic kits myself. I've been working with the chaps at Tamiya Model magazine and some of the stuff they produce with plastic kits is just incredible. No matter how many plastic kits I try to assemble and paint they always look like it's the first ever kit I've attempted to build! I got the ratio lineside hut off railway modeller the other month but haven't built it yet cos I know darn well I'll look at it afterwards and think nope... Should have let my 10 year old do it!

I like the photoshop / printer combination as it comes with an undo button :)

Evening All,

Cheers

Justin

Very much enjoying your work with the Scalescenes stuff. Personally I'd give you a BIG pat on the back for this, very well done and extremely realistic.

Grahame

Very much enjoying your work with the Scalescenes stuff. Personally I'd give you a BIG pat on the back for this, very well done and extremely realistic.

Grahame

Thanks Grahame, It's all built with kits I've designed myself though (See signature) rather than other peoples kits. The diorama with the factory is built straight from the kits I've designed with no additional weathering or finishing touches. :D

latest off the production line - I edited the download to add a NR logo instead of the Salford Van Hire

attachicon.gifDSC_0481.JPG

this will set the layout firmly in the present :)

Excellent work!

Graham (who designs most of the vans for me has a prototype of an artic). Did you say you wanted Stobart livery? I think he has a P&O one at the minute.

Afternoon all.

A customer presented me with an old tube from a roll of tin foil and asked "Can you make me some sort of chimney out of this please?".... So I had a play and made some texture wraps and few extra bits to create this...

Yes it looks a bit Bachmann like... Not intentional. I used reference images from a chimney manufacturers site for the design. It was only after I'd finished making it at lunch time I realised that Bachmann has something similar.

post-20808-0-77806700-1395853519_thumb.jpg

post-20808-0-56152000-1395853520_thumb.jpg

post-20808-0-39240800-1395853521_thumb.jpg

post-20808-0-31792300-1395853522_thumb.jpg

Been a fan of another card/paper kit producer since he started; having seen your adds in Model Rail and on here figured I'd try your kits too. I picked your modern image billboards in N.

They went together nicely and fit in with the other kits very well.

post-7403-0-33751800-1395861069_thumb.jpg

post-7403-0-40782000-1395861084_thumb.jpg

post-7403-0-29640900-1395861113_thumb.jpg

Pleased with how they came out and happy to have another supplier of card/paper kits.

Stephen

Archived