Breakthru' - The Miracle Express

DavidBird

OK, so over 100 views and no replies, either for or against.

I think what I'm asking is this

Is it possible to add a soundfile to a DCC chip that will take about 4 mins of sound - it needn't be CD quality stereo,

- or -

Is there another small device which can store the soundfile, take its power from a DCC 20v squarewave AC and be triggered by a DCC chip?

Any ideas?

Yes, this can be done with some bits of circuitry tacked onto a function decoder.  But what about copyright?  Both copying the sound file and then replaying it are subject to, er, regulations.

If you want to pursue the techie angles, I'll ferret out some info.  But I'm curious why you want to do this?

Yes, this can be done with some bits of circuitry tacked onto a function decoder. 

If you want to pursue the techie angles, I'll ferret out some info.

Yes please

....  But what about copyright?  Both copying the sound file and then replaying it are subject to, er, regulations.

I can copy the file from CD, to my PC, to my ipod, to another CD for the car, and play it as much as I like without restriction.  Playing it in public, at an exhibition for example, would be different and would need both a PPL and PRC license.

...  But I'm curious why you want to do this?

Why not? Modelling a real train, that actually existed, if only for a couple of days in 1989, combining my enthusiasm for railway models and the music of Queen...

And to see if I can!

Edit: Seems as if I may not be the first to try it... http://forum.beneluxspoor.net/index.php?topic=46061.0 My Dutch is not up to telling if this was with sound or not...

I was not aware that you were asking for a method to actually achieve this on your layout.

There is no sound chip that can hold 4 minutes of continuous sound.

The model will be just as you have described, a 2884 towing a decorated flat with four tiny immobile figures. Punching through a foam barrier in a tunnel mouth would be quite spectacular but might cause a derailment if either the leading pony truck or the flat wheels strike any foam. Our models don't operate at anything like scale weight so there is not the sheer inertia of the real thing.

Although I am a fan of Queen, I don't think I would want to listen to a performance at 22KHz 16 bit sound through a tiny speaker and in mono. Most of the performance would be lost.

If you were to duplicate the actual video then of course the sound would be dubbed on later anyway. If you were recording the actual video event it would be mostly wind roar with a few chuffs in the background as Queen are miming.

Bluntly, I can't see the point but it is your layout

I was not aware that you were asking for a method to actually achieve this on your layout.

There is no sound chip that can hold 4 minutes of continuous sound.

The model will be just as you have described, a 2884 towing a decorated flat with four tiny immobile figures. Punching through a foam barrier in a tunnel mouth would be quite spectacular but might cause a derailment if either the leading pony truck or the flat wheels strike any foam. Our models don't operate at anything like scale weight so there is not the sheer inertia of the real thing.

Although I am a fan of Queen, I don't think I would want to listen to a performance at 22KHz 16 bit sound through a tiny speaker and in mono. Most of the performance would be lost.

If you were to duplicate the actual video then of course the sound would be dubbed on later anyway. If you were recording the actual video event it would be mostly wind roar with a few chuffs in the background as Queen are miming.

Bluntly, I can't see the point but it is your layout

A ESU LokSound V4 chip holds 268.22 seconds of sound. 

Noch has just announced a display package at the Nuremburg show that may help - #66821 129,99 euros!

post-6688-0-61323400-1391187712.jpg

Let’s Rock!

micro-motion Rock Concert

It‘s getting loud in 2014! With this year’s

micro-motion highlight you can present your personal

favourite music on stage – and this in 1:87 scale.

Besides matching figures, the Laser-Cut model also comprises many

innovative extra features bringing life into your model landscape. Using

the included 3.5 mm jack plug you just connect any music device, such

as your MP 3 Player, smartphone or Walkman ® to the Rock Concert and

let the music play through the loudspeaker that is integrated in the

model stage.

The pre-installed LEDs flash in different colours in time to the music.

This is possible thanks to the integrated lighting console and the

corresponding microprocessor control.

The electronic components are completely pre-assembled and thus

can easily be installed in the model. Connection is made to a usual

16 V AC/DC railroad transformer. The micro-motion Rock Concert is

a limited special edition of just 1000 pieces. A numbered certificate

as well a special adhesive are included.

Expected release: November 2014

Highlights:

• Connection of any music devices with a usual 3.5 mm jack plug

• Plays music through the integrated loudspeaker

• Lighting console, microprocessor controlled

• Includes 12 LEDs

• Pre-assembled electronics

• Includes NOCH figure set »Music Band«

• Limited Edition of 1000 pieces

• Includes special adhesive

I like this project! Have to agree with dcwhite though. Wouldn't like to listen to it from a 22kz 16 bit soundchip .Would't like to listen to steamsounds through one of them either agreeing with David for once about the poor sound quality. But what 16bit soundchip would that be?

Anyway it is still a fun hobby isn't it?

Try one of these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-MP3-PLAYER-WITH-MINI-CLIP-SUPPORTS-MICRO-SD-CARD-2GB-4GB-8GB-UK/190896819016?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D286%26meid%3D4512653895378183024%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1048%2

Only a couple of quid.

Might just fit into the 28xx tender together with a bass enhanced (100 ohm?) Bass reflex (same) under the flat. Some work on the audio file will be needed. That track has a distinctive and punchy bass rif both synth and real (precision). Mp3 has to be better than a soundchip.

CC

OK, here's the info I promised last eve.

I'm building one of these for static sound use with a decent speaker - it uses an Atmel micro-controller and an SD card to play WAV files.  The whole thing draws only a few mA so it can be powered from either a small battery (as shown) or a function output from a standard or function-only DCC decoder (limited to 5V).  An SD card can hold loads of WAV files - even long Queen tracks!  Once loaded with audio, the electronic gubbins can be hidden in a wagon load, support truck, etc.

Now I appreciate not everyone is able to program a micro-controller, even if the binary code is provided.  So you could instead use one of the sound player modules available, e.g. MDFly SD Card MP3 Player, Dream Player Lite (more expensive than my £10 approach).  Or there are some cheaper 'SD player board's on a well-known auction site.

Someone did this for a model boat... some of the ensuing comments push the envelope a bit :O

Hope this is helpful - as pointed out by CC, there are different ways to tackle this.  Let us know how you get on!  :-)

Archived