HINTERLAND BBC 1 (WALES)

Stevelewis

Did anyone see Hinterland on BBC1 WALES  Monday  evening?

It was the last of the series, but will be  repeated on BBC 4 ( I think)

It was in my opinion a very good  series.  Intriguing and worth watching.

The point of this  though is  last  nights episode  featured mostly around Borth  Nr  Aberystwyth  and  the  railway station,  nr the end of the episode,  the police  found  a model railway in the  cellar   of Borth  station    with a  Bachmann??  Class 150 in Arriva trains livery  running  round,  the model  although only  briefly  featured  looked to be   quite realistic. Except  there  were no points  apparently!!

I think you can  get  the  prog on BBC I Player.

Yeah, I saw that. Layout was certainly a good size. A couple of screen grabs from iPlayer below.

I've checked the BBC's T&Cs, and there doesn't seem to be anything preventing still images being captured as long as the BBC is credited. If I've read that wrong, mods please remove the images and accept my apologies.

post-17811-0-04767700-1390899024.jpg

post-17811-0-73357900-1390899031.jpg

Thanks for this, Steve. Yes, Hinterland is scheduled to be shown on BBC4 later this year as part of the Nordic (or should that be Celtic?) Noir season

Mal

Thanks  Mal,

My  wife  reckons  Hinterland  is  like  a  sort  of  English language  ( with a  tiny bit of  Welsh)  Wallander!!??

The programme has been made in two versions, majority English dialogue with some Welsh, and entirely Welsh which was shown on S4C before Christmas. The "Borth" episode also featured DI Mathias correctly identifying a Bachmann GWR City!

In an odd twist S4C and the BBC have sold the series to Danish broadcaster DR, makers of "The Killing" and "Borgen" so the Danes will soon be seeing some Welsh Noir!

The programme has been made in two versions, majority English dialogue with some Welsh, and entirely Welsh which was shown on S4C before Christmas. The "Borth" episode also featured DI Mathias correctly identifying a Bachmann GWR City!

In an odd twist S4C and the BBC have sold the series to Danish broadcaster DR, makers of "The Killing" and "Borgen" so the Danes will soon be seeing some Welsh Noir!

Thanks  for  the  info,  the   identifucation of the  CITY  (GWR 4-4-0)  was  uncanny  I think it  points to  there  being  a  Model railway enthusiast  with some  connection to  the programme, would be interesting to find out  more  re  the  model  which  was obviously   quite  well done  detail wise  but  not  much  of  a  track plan!!  Mind  you it is only  a single  track  thro \Borth!

How is  Fairborne  these  days does the  railway still prosper?  I always  used to  eat my  sandwiches  by the   station to watch the  trains, when  my territory  covered  that  part of the  world,

There used to be a guy  who lived just outside Friog,  who  made 16mm NG locos I  bought 1 from him  years  ago,  I actually  collected it  from  the  Bala Lake Railway depot  at  Llan (cant remember the  rest!)  where he  was  a driver, he had placed it on the  foortplate of, I think it  was  Maid Marion  I think his  surname  was Hine.

sorry to digress!!

Available on iPlayer til Monday 3rd Feb 11.15pm and worth watching I think.  I believe the layout may have been lent by a friend of mine, Alan Spalding, who now works as a freelance producer for BBC in Cardiff.

• 2 months later...

Hello Folks-I'm one of the organisers of Borth Station Museum which was featured as a location in episode 4 of Hinterland. The model was produced at phenomenal expense by professional model makers. It features a single track around a highly detailed landscape of Borth station, the river Leri and surroundings, as well as some fictional tunnels etc, to allow runaround operation. At the end of filming it was all donated to the Museum, but is too large for us to display pemanently- about 5m by 4m. The bachman "158" was the only rolling stock, which is displayed in the museum along with the station section.. We displayed  and ran  it all in a tent at our 150th Station Gala day las year. We've now got it in storage in sections, and will probably give it an airing on July 5th this year for our Steam Saturday fete.Have a look at our website www.borthstationmuseum.co.uk

post-22585-0-84587800-1397339116_thumb.jpg

I think it's the same bi-lingual episodes as shown in January, this time getting a national airing.  The January episodes were just on BBC1 Wales, following the entirely Welsh language broadcasts on S4C back in November last year.  The trailers seem to show the same storylines.

I think it's the same bi-lingual episodes as shown in January, this time getting a national airing.  The January episodes were just on BBC1 Wales, following the entirely Welsh language broadcasts on S4C back in November last year.  The trailers seem to show the same storylines.

Thanks for that, worth another look just the same.

• 1 month later...

Saw all 4 episodes, including the final Borth one last night, on BBC4. Good noir, more rain than Denmark or Sweden - wish the lead would smile more - all hangdog eyes and never changing clothes for days. Good to see Wallander's return, too.

• RMweb Premium

No spotting points for RM Webbers though. Not so much a Class 158 as a Class 150/2. Although a 158 would have been more appropriate for the Cambrian. At least the 150 is in Arrive Trains Wales/Trenau Arriva Cymru livery :yes:

David

• RMweb Premium

Yes, class 158s at Borth. This was taken in October 2011 when we enjoyed a visit to the Station Museum

post-319-0-25044800-1401048681_thumb.jpg

Hi, my wife and I really enjoyed the series and spotting locations we know (her ancestors come from Borth, our eldest son is at Aberystwyth University and we've had a lot of of family holidays in the area).

Did anyone notice the museum curator character putting away a life sized cardboard cut-out ? This exists and is a photo of Will Owen who was Borth Station master until 1966. Will Owen was married to one of my wife's relatives.

post-319-0-96512200-1401048906_thumb.jpg

Our younger son contemplating the view. There's something about waiting at Borth station that makes people stare at Borth Bog! It is actually a fantastic wildlife reserve.

post-319-0-55829600-1401048920_thumb.jpg

Ralph

Lambton58

Archived