NGS Journal

grahame

NGS Journal 3/14 is now at the printers for production and distribution.

It is hoped that they will be posted out Wednesday/Thursday (4th/5th June) next week. On top of that there will be the usual postage delay time before they start dropping through members letterboxes.

G.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Issue 3/14 should now be with all UK based members (overseas members copies may well take a little longer and are probably still in the post). I hope everyone enjoyed it.

Work on issue 4/14 is now well advanced and it is hoped to be able to send this out at the end of July. Here is an advert with some of the content that you can look forward to listed.

G.

post-33-0-60128900-1402762685.jpg

• Like 2

4/14 hasn't been sent out - it's not due to be until the end of July at the earliest (as per message #27)

3/14 was sent out week ending 7th June (as per message #26)

HTH

G.

• 1 month later...

Both the NGS 'Journal' and 'Newsletter' are now complete for issue 4/14 (July/Aug) and print ready files have been generated. They should be with the printers this week and hopefully printed copies on their way to members at the end of July/early August.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Well done to Grahame for another excellent NGS Journal.

One small point:

On p19 in the article detailing building the new NGS KSA timer carrier kit Grahame notices that the top of the end of the wagon in the photograph accompanying the piece is missing.  This is due to damage in service, and is not "as built."  The kit covers all the end styles shown by the wagons when converted; replicating subsequent damage is something for the modeller if required!

cheers

Ben A.

Cheers for the additional info, although the comment wasn't specifically about 'as built' versions but rather that if the modeller wished to replicate the one in the picture (regardless of how it occurred) or even the wagon behind that also has a top centre piece missing, they will need to undertake a little surgery which should be fairly easy. 

• RMweb Gold

Cheers for the additional info, although the comment wasn't specifically about 'as built' versions but rather that if the modeller wished to replicate the one in the picture (regardless of how it occurred) or even the wagon behind that also has a top centre piece missing, they will need to undertake a little surgery which should be fairly easy. 

Hi Grahame

Whether just a typo or lack of information, the article didn't state that the wagon in the photograph is damaged.

It says: "the version in the article header photograph with the missing center section isn't covered..." which suggests that this is a distinct type, rather than one of the standard variants with a chunk knocked out. I felt it worthwhile clarifying this, so purchasers don't feel in some way short-changed.

Either way you're right that replicating the appearance of such a wagon is achievable with some rudimentary modelling.

cheers

Ben A.

You're right I didn't mention that it was damage, but then the word 'version' wasn't italicised in the Journal which rather changes the emphasis of the complete section as written. There was certainly no intention to short-change anyone. If anyone thinks that then I apologise.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Grahame,

Yes, the italics were mine: an attempt to draw attention to where I thought any confusion might arise, and not in the article as printed. 

Indeed, substituting the word "version" with the word "wagon" clarifies things completely!

cheers

Ben A.

A good issue in my oppinion and I look forward to giving it a more thorough read. It looks like the "new products" section has been expanded somewhat and I was interested to see additions such as the link to the Kickstarter project. A very welcome piece of information. :)

• Like 1

I'm starting to enjoy the society magazine (I joined in time for issue 2/14 and now want some milk tankers!)

It's taken me a bit of time to get used to each article having a different writing style compared with a commercial undertaking that has its own house style and writing format but it has become part of the charm.

Hope to contribute my streamlined coronation build when I've finished it

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Two things;

Firstly an update concerning issue 5/14 - the print ready artwork has been completed and generated and will be sent off shortly ready for printing and fulfilment. Distribution is scheduled for the last full week (22nd-27th) in September, although exact dates cannot be guaranteed.

Secondly, an appeal for N gauge related content - articles and features. I'm looking for new articles from new authors (both society members and non-members). Currently I'm okay for 'layout' type articles so probably not that type of subject, but of interest would be specific modelling projects like: building/converting a loco; experience with creating 3D and etched models; ancillary subjects such as DCC and signalling; and how to undertake basic skills like airbrushing and soldering. Being a Society and with the Journal produced on a non-commercial basis we are unable to pay for submissions but as a member you will get to see your efforts (article writing and modelling) in print and for non-members I will arrange for them to be sent a copy of the Journal their article appears in - that way you'll get to see what it looks like and may even consider joining as a result.

Please contact me by PM or email. Thanks in anticipation.     

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1

My loco project has stalled but I fully intend to submit it when complete, would you want each stage until complete with paint and transfers or would completing and running but yet to be painted be ok as a feature to cover painting at a later date.

More projects in the pipeline too :)

If you're building and writing in stages - and each is a reasonable length for a part - then it could be published as a series (see similar part articles in the Journal).

Also there is no reason that a model has to be finished to write about it. For example if there is a good and interesting story about the construction of it (to the stage it is at) that will form an article then it would be welcome. Most peoples layouts are never fully completed and there is always something more to do. Even with smaller projects it's sometimes possible to improve and add further details.

G.

• 3 weeks later...

Issue 5/14 should have dropped through most members letterboxes now (or is winging its way on the great white bird to overseas members).

Issue 6/14 is well advanced and to heighten anticipation here is a list of some of the content it will contain:

• More great layout features
  • First steps in building buildings with card
  • A look at track cleaners
  • Building a resin bodied class 15
  • Installing Cobalt point motors
  • Military trains features
  • And all the usual like letters, tips and news

It is due out at the end on November. Details of membership can be found on the NGS website.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Journal 6/14 (and the accompanying Newsletter 6/14) are now complete and print ready artwork has been generated and sent off for printing, production and fulfilment. The distribution is scheduled for sending out around Tuesday 25th November so it is hoped that it should be dropping through the letterboxes of UK members before the end of the month.

The contents will include:

* A military train feature

* Building a MkIV tank and Macaw wagon

* A Barry inspired scrapyard

* Installing Cobalt point motors

* Completing a BHT type class 15 loco resin kit

* Steam Loco performance articles

* The usual regular reviews, news, tips and letters

* and much more.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...