NGS Journal

grahame

Another excellent issue. However, I couldn't see any credits for the modeller and photographer of the centre-spread feature.

My apologies - the layout is by Wayne Webb and I took the snap at this years TINGS.

G.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping to put the finishing touches to issue 1/15 over the Christmas/NewYear holiday period. Much of it is ready but I'm now waiting on the regular contributors for their usual submissions. Subject to that it should be ready to go to the printers in time to meet the scheduled timetable and be out and in the post before the end of January.

G

• 2 weeks later...

As Journal 1/15 goes off for printing, packaging and distribution (it should be with UK based members by the end of January) I’d like to appeal for some fresh new articles for inclusion in future issues. In particular I’m looking for ones about specific modelling projects such as:

• locomotive building (scratch-building, kit building or detailing proprietary RTR),
  • ancillary subjects like DCC and signalling,
  • any experience with creating 3D and etched models,
  • and how to undertake basic skills such as soldering and airbrushing.

If you are able to write and create something suitable please contact me at journaleditor@ngaugesociety.com  - Many thanks in anticipation.

The contents of 1/15 include;

• Special electric trains edition
  • Five layouts
  • A feature on fencing
  • Bashing a kit shed
  • Motorising a bus
  • Building a white metal crane kit
  • Plus all the usual: letters, tips and news

G.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Journal 1/15 should be dropping through UK members letterboxes

now having been dispatched on Tuesday 27th Jan (with overseas

members having to wait for international post). 

Already work is well advanced on the next issue - 2/15 (apart from

time sensitive content such as reviews and the latest news) - and

will contain the usual mix of articles and features. It is due for

publication at the end of March.

094850.jpg

With issue 2/15 will be a free (for members) colour booklet. To ensure

that you receive both the Journal and the Booklet make sure that you

are a member - renewals can be made on-line at the society website:

http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=Join

094800.jpg

G.

I was recently asked whether, as NGS Journal Editor, I considered the new commercially available magazine from Engee publishing 'N Gauge Now' as competition to the 'N Gauge Journal'.

My answer was that AFAIC it isn't and was only to be welcomed as another all N gauge publication - if the market could support it then great - and that it offered additional not alternative reading.

And even with the currently available yearly subscription offer of free postage the cost is no less than a years renewal membership of the N Gauge Society - plus the NGS provides six issues of the 'Journal' and six issues of their 'Newsletter' delivered to your door as well as access to all the other features and benefits it provides (exclusive RTR and kit products, shop, Area Groups, help line, etc) compared with four issues of 'N Gauge Now' a year.

But I was wondering what do others think? Are you likely to not renew NGS membership because of subscribing to N Gauge Now?

G.

. <snip>

My answer was that AFAIC it isn't and was only to be welcomed as another all N gauge publication - if the market could support it then great - and that it offered additional not alternative reading.

<snip>

G.

Absolutely agree, Grahame. In fact my membership is up for renewal this month. (The cheque is in the post ;) ) I would be more likely to drop the 'generic' model mags, which do encompass N but inevitably have to bow to the popularity of OO, in favour of N specific.

C.

I joined the N gauge society for access to the shop, the magazine was a little staid, but I think it has improved massively under your stewardship.

I wouldn't leave the society for a magazine and a little competition usually improves the content further and stimulates interest in the gauge I hope.

There must be a lot of N gauge modellers not members of NGS and not aware of N Gauge now.

I only became aware of N gauge now a couple of days ago and have ordered a copy to see what it's like

I joined the society wanting an inspection coach and stove alongside some kits and also the journal - might get time tomorrow while my daughter has her nap to read this month's!

Is the shop back up and running yet?

• 4 weeks later...

Journal issue 2/15 is now complete and the artwork has been generated and gone off for production, printing and dispatch. The send out package will consist of three publications:

• 'NGS Journal 2/15' - the usual 88 page colour magazine full of modelling articles and information.
  • 'Making Buildings in Cardboard' - a special 20 page colour booklet - free to members.
  • 'NGS Newsletter 2/15' - the usual 16 page supplement with all the latest Society news.

The scheduled send out is due early in the fourth week of March. For an update and confirmation of the actual date check: http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=journal-dates

Please make sure that you're a NGS member to automatically receive the package of publications. Details of membership for joining and renewing can be found on the NGS website: http://www.ngaugesociety.com/index.php?page=Join

G.

Grahame, is it me, or is your moonfruit.com link no longer valid?

I've left it to expire as it concerned the N'spirations range of publications that have not been produced since I took over as editor of the NGS Journal.

G.

Ok, got it. Think I have said it before, somewhere else, but great job with the Journal. I only have issues from 2004 through 2006 to compare with. It was good then, but even better now.

My only problem, I have to try and avoid any postings on forums about each new issue for a couple of weeks after most get their copy, so I don't spoil my surprise when it gets here in the US. :)

Thanks for your efforts.

Jim F

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Issue 2/15 (and the free booklet) should be dropping through UK members letterboxes now. They were posted out on Tuesday.

G.

Hi Grahame,

Arrived safely up here this morning (at whatever time the Royal Mail decided our AM mail was).

Several interesting articles and comments!

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

I'm a bit worried about the paragraph about Harrison-Brown Models at the top right of page 16. I looked at their web site and it seems that all their resin EMUs are OO, and I couldn't find any in N.

Unless, of course, their web site needs updating.