R.O.D.

EddieB and The Stationmaster,

I have the various editions of the Railway Magazine you kindly mentioned on order. Do you know whether the magazine dealt with the light railways on the Western Front, Egypt, Mesopotamia and Salonika at all? I would be keen to get hold of the relevant magazines if they did. If they also had articles about the French Pechot and German Feldbahn, I would be a pig in heaven!

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Articles about Pechot wagons and Pechot Boudan locomotives can be found in the following French magazines.

The reference to plans sheet indicates that there will be a scale drawing

Voie Libre 2002 April page 18

Voie Etroite 2009 April 35

Voie Libre 2010 March Plans sheet

Voie Libre 2010 March 36

Edited by Andy Hayter

EddieB and The Stationmaster,

I have the various editions of the Railway Magazine you kindly mentioned on order. Do you know whether the magazine dealt with the light railways on the Western Front, Egypt, Mesopotamia and Salonika at all? I would be keen to get hold of the relevant magazines if they did. If they also had articles about the French Pechot and German Feldbahn, I would be a pig in heaven!

Chris

Nothing on those subjects in Railway Magazine, as far as I recall.  You;ve already mentioned "Middle East Railways" which provides scant coverage of Egypt and Mesopotamia.  For Salonika, I can only think of the Greece loco list prepared by David Coles (Union Publications) in the 'sixties, and a few entries in "The Railway Foundry, Leeds" (Redman) in respect of locos built by Hudswell Clarke.  The WJK Davies book mentioned earlier has some coverage of Salonika, Egypt and Palestine and East Africa, but I need to check if there are further references.  Likewise the Pechot-Bourdon locomotives are mentioned in "The Fairlie Locomotive" (Abbot), but maybe elsewhere.

"The Railways of Palestine and Israel" (Cotterell) has quite a good section on the Great War and includes some small scale drawings of locomotives and rolling stock.  From the same publisher, "Hedjaz Railway" (Tourret) includes a chapter on Lawrence of Arabia and the Palestine Campaign of 1914-18, and its effect on the railway of the book's title.

There is a large body of literature on the axis powers in general and Germany in particular, but the better books are becoming hard to find and expensive.  I'll add a few titles in due course.

While in this thread, it is worth flagging up that a special edition of the Industrial Railway Society's Bulletin (not the Industrial Railway Record) was sent out in the last mailing to members giving subsequent histories (where known) of all ROD Baldwin locomotives. 

Edited by EddieB

• 2 weeks later...

I found this image of the Manning Wardle Armoured Petrol Mechanical Tractor in Vol LXXIII (Jul-Dec 1933) copies of the Railway Magazine which I received today.

post-19663-0-05418900-1405956334_thumb.jpg 

About ten served with the ROD in France and Belgium and the same number in Palestine. Apparently they were intended for moving the rail guns around, but were a bit temperamental for that task. I would guess having the radiator exposed without an armour cover on the roof may have added to the potential for puncturing by shrapnel.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was reading (browsing) the New South Wales Railway and Tramway Magazines from the 1920 today and found an image of a Baldwin Mallet 2-8-8-0 locomotive operated by the ROD. From memory 50 were purchased by the War Department for use by the ROD in Salonika and for the Russians. When I have the opportunity I will grab an image.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Chris hndrsn

Slightly tangental to this but possibly of interest; my grandfather joined the Artists' Rifles around 1915 and was posted to Egypt and then Palestine. He took quite a few photos, this one has 'Cairo train" written on the back of it. I assume that ESR on the wagons means Egyptian State Railways.

post-22510-0-29124200-1412506271_thumb.jpg

( EDIT to add - I hadn't really looked very closely at this photo before. It seems to me that they are simple 3-plank open wagons with a wooden superstructure bodged on. Also, I can't see very much by way of brakes on them! )

Edited by simon0r
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

1ngram,

Cross checking the ROD book with the Model Rail Model and Kit directory for 2013, the eight available loco's I can identify are:

GWR Dean 2301 0-6-0 by Hornby

GWR Churchward 43XX  by Bachmann

GWR Robinson 30xx by Bachmann

Southern Drummond 700 0-6- by OO Works

Southern Billinton E4 by Bachmamm (this year)

LNER Stirling/Ivatt J4 by London Road

LNER Worsdell J15 by PDK

LNER Worsdell T1 by 52F Models

I too am planning a small layout based on the ROD and light railways and have the same problem, I don't know what standard gauge rolling stock was used and what is available.

Bachmann and Hornby will no doubt release their loco's in limited edition ROD livery and numbering.

I have a few questions of my own to add to yours:

• Does anyone know of an OO gauge versions of the French 50 Hommes/8 Chevaux (50 men/8 horses) box van's (braked and unbraked) so common in wartime images of the ROD?
  • Can anyone point me in the right direction for a book of French and Belgian rolling stock of the period?
  • Does anyone know of drawings for the Belgian SNCV Type 21 metre gauge locomotive? The UK built 50 locomotives and 1200 wagons to operate on the metre gauge around Ypres. I believe they were Type 21's as that type is referred to in the books by Bishop and Davies.
  • Can anyone recommend passenger coaches for the period to make up Haig's and Gough's command trains and add coaches to the ambulance train coming from Bachmann?

Being in Australia and not having the ability to wander into decent UK, French or Belgian railway bookshops that may be able to help me, I would greatly appreciate any one pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Chris H

Well honestly it would a good occasion to put an end to overscale 1:76 trains on steroids and start to go HO 1.87!

It is decades since it has been possible to fit motor in the tiny sized British outline locomotives.

Sadly back in 1976 Lima decided to give up in order to pander to OO brigade under instigation of  their importer of the time (Wrenn) in order to make easy £££. !

We knoww how their competitor (not difficoult to better it) sorted them out!  Rivarossi with their Royal Scot and Fleishmann with their Bulleid coaches and British V200 (class 42 Warship) decided to give such such crazy market (modellers or manufactures chicken or egg) as they had standard to keep. Rivarossi reformed by retooling Italian outline in 1:87 instead of 1:80!

Lets see http://www.british-ho.com/ for inspirations.  They have examples of ROD wagons.

It is hard for manufacturers to retool in 1:87 espescially for the small companies.

But priority candidates for potential sales aren't the ROD, BAOR, USTC stock.  For example the Robinson's ROD might get sales in Australia too. I discovered the Australia is STRICTLY HO! Not on steroids such as for Lima's Australian IC125 !

What do you think?

Anyway, seriously,  there may be a market for in particular British outline trains were in service on the Continent on BOTH sides of the Channel now crossed by a tunnel which replaced train ferries.

Edited by FNM600

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Q2 2015 edition of Voie Libre has an article on Pechot locomotives - not had a chance to read it yet.  The magazine is now available on subscription in English.

http://fr.zinio.com/www/browse/product.jsp?offer=500352879&productId=500598843&pss=1&bd=1&WT.mc_id=PUB_WWW_www_500598843_publisher275114&rf=PUB_WWW_www_500598843#/menu_centre

• 2 weeks later...

The van produced by Smallbrook was indeed sold after the War to the Met, North Eastern, Great Eastern, Great Western and quite possibly others.

I don't believe the AMF one was ever used by a railway company in this country.

JW and Phil,

Thank you, I have requested postage info from both.

Now if I could just sort out the metre gauge rolling stock and tramway engines used by the ROD  :scratchhead: ! Plus the 60cm loco's from Bachmann though very nice, are eye watering in price

Cheers,

Chris

• 2 years later...

With the arrival later this year (hopefully) of the WW1 Railgun from Oxford I’ve at last been prompted to get my cameo ROD layout organised - in 4mm.  Locos are no longer a problem with some lovely examples now available r-t-r such as the GER J15.  Getting suitable ROD transfers may still be difficult though.

It’s the wagons, especially the British wagons that are the real problem.  The Railway Magazine  No 429 of March 1933 has an article which lists all the wagons used by the ROD, both from the various pre-grouping railways and those specially built for the ROD and gives their ROD numbers.  There are a couple of photos showing such wagons in Aves excellent book on the ROD, notably on page 42 where some 5-plank opens are shown being pulled by a Dean Goods,(a ROD version of which is also promised this year from Oxford).  Can anyone tell me from the photo if such wagons are available in 4mm from any manufacturer, either r-t-r or as a kit?  Indeed what other WW1 era open wagons are available in general, again either as r-t-r or in kit form?  Most of the other wagons in the book are French or Belgian but on page 77 of his book he shows a tank wagon beside a Baldwin 0-4-0ST.  Is this a British wagon and if so does any manufacturer offer it?

Finally the Railway Magazine in its list of ROD wagons identifies wagons from 31501 to 31800 as “various four-wheeled passenger brake vans or compo. brakes” from South East and Chatham (with raised roof centre), Great Northern Railway, Great Western Railway, Great Eastern Railway, Furness Railway, North London Railway compo brakes, Midland Railway compo brakes, Caley and  LSWR brakes.  Again can anyone tell me if any of these are available in 4mm?

• Like 1

We are working on a WD van in 4/7mm for a customer. We are hoping to print it as a one piece body with etched parts for the more delicate parts. We have had a few problems but we are making some progress.

Marc  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just back from Perth this evening - a Show that seems to get better every year.  The highpoint for me was finding a second volume on the R.O.D by  William Aves entitled "The Lines Behind the Front: The Railways in Support of the  British Expeditionary Forces in the Great War. A Photographic Record" (usual disclaimer from me)  Dated 2016 but I've never come across it before and £25 from Lightmoor Press this contains literally hundreds of photos of ROD locos, wagons and all manner of equipment from Rail Guns to Steam Driven Piledrivers that he seems to have managed to find since his first book was published.  There are chapters on the Rail Construction Companies, the Australians, movement of tanks etc etc. all copiously illustrated.

He can tell you everything you need to know about the locos etc but when it comes to the rolling stock (lots of photos here) all he can tell us is whether it was French or WD British.  Now the opens may be pretty much the same but surely some knowledgable persons here would be able to tell us the company origin of many of the box vans in the photos?  Similarly the wagons seem to have all manner of lettering etc on them but what do they?

• Like 1