Killybegs

OK, here are the pics ....

Firstly in the down position

post-7952-0-16779900-1500466946_thumb.jpg

Secondly with the flaps folded back

post-7952-0-67348500-1500466965_thumb.jpg

Finally in the operating position

post-7952-0-09838800-1500466986_thumb.jpg

I really must get around to replacing the dead bulbs in the overhead lighting!

• Like 16

• 2 months later...

Pretty nifty for converting the Hornby  coupling rod Drive Sentinel to P4/S4 also.

I dropped a bit of a gooley with my template for drilling the stress relief holes but other than that all was ok. There's also no need to thin the wheels as with the chain drive version as the frames are wider.

attachicon.gifHornbySenitiel-053-EditSm.jpg

Apologies to John for dragging the topic sideways.

P

Porcy,

The Sentinel chassis does not look like the standard Hornby. What is it?

Gordon A

Porcy,

The Sentinel chassis does not look like the standard Hornby. What is it?

Gordon A

Gordon,

apart from my poor attempt at stripping of the paint, it's an absolutely bog standard Hornby rod drive chassis casting. The rod drive casting is different to the chain drive version in that its overall width is 1.25 mm wider.

This pic shows the underside.

post-508-0-26881800-1506368632_thumb.jpg

If you're interested in seeing the chassis run and to save dragging the topic of on an even greater diagonal, I've posted a video of it here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125863-project-effitt-works/&do=findComment&comment=2866250

Once again apologies to Killybegs for the diversion.

P

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

John,

The Grampus does look very nice. The Rumney chassis certainly adds to the model with the fine detail and, I'm sure, excellent running properties. I've got a couple if Justin's 16 ton mineral wagon chassis to do as (for me) trial builds.

I'm impressed with your van collection. I take it that's the result of quite a few years efforts? Do they have a variety of suspension systems (compensated vs sprung, etc.) and if so, do you have a preferred system for future use?

Dave.

John,

The Grampus does look very nice. The Rumney chassis certainly adds to the model with the fine detail and, I'm sure, excellent running properties. I've got a couple if Justin's 16 ton mineral wagon chassis to do as (for me) trial builds.

I'm impressed with your van collection. I take it that's the result of quite a few years efforts? Do they have a variety of suspension systems (compensated vs sprung, etc.) and if so, do you have a preferred system for future use?

Dave.

Hi Dave,

The first batch of vans were built in one go four or five years ago. Paul wanted to run Clinkerford in early BR guise at York Show and, as he only had my old pre-nationalisation stock, I had an incentive and a deadline to work to. All my vans and wagons, with a few exceptions, have the same type of suspension, namely none! Many years ago, I carried a series of tests on wagons with and without suspension. All those with suspension used MJT (or similar) rocking W irons, some were mine and others belonged to members of the Glevum group. The critical test was propelling wagons through the turnout and reverse curve into the back siding on Clinkerford. None of the rigid wagons fell off but some of those with suspension did. Using blue tack to stop any movement on the rocking W irons of those wagons that fell off, I repeated the test. None of them fell off this time. I haven't used suspension on vans or wagons since.

The only exceptions are those with a Rumney Models chassis. Earlier this year I asked Justin if he had any brake gear for unfitted Grampus wagons as the Parkside Dundas kit is for the fitted version. Probably, came the reply, but if you can wait until September you can have a complete chassis. I decided I had better practice on something similar so built three of his 16T mineral chassis while I was waiting. Normally I just use the brake gear provided with the plastic kits (but tidied up a little) but as the six wagons in question will sit on the front siding at Worseter shed, I thought they could benefit from the extra detail.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

... and then there were three (with apologies to Genesis for plagiarism)

post-7952-0-69936900-1511537544_thumb.jpg

Fiddly but worth it. Just for the record, there are 66 pinned joints in each chassis, that's nearly 200 pins in total. That's a lot of 0.31mm wire to cut to length and tidy up!

• Like 16

With the chassis finished I thought I might see if I could add a bit more detail to the bodies, principally all those chains attached to the door retaining pins. I downloaded a couple of photos from Paul Bartlett's site so that I could enlarge them. It was only then that I noticed that the end doors didn't match those on the Parkside Dundas kit. After going back to Paul's site, the reason for this became obvious. The fitted wagons (which the PD kits represent) did indeed have different end doors to the earlier unfitted variety. B****r. So it was out with the scalpel to remove the offending bits. It would have been a lot easier if I had spotted the problem earlier before fitting buffers and coupling hooks! The unfitted wagons also had two blocks of wood bolted to the ends, these are represented with bits of styrene. I have also added the retaining pins for the top panel. The bottom panel should also be recessed more but I think I can live with that. Only five more ends to do. Now, about those chains ..........

post-7952-0-46975500-1511702328_thumb.jpg

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 5

"The Wonderful world of wagon variations"  Lovely.

about those chains ..........

Any knackered 12v motors?  Winding wire is smaller diameter than 3 amp fuse wire and twists to look reasonably convincing? Starting of round a suitable size drill to represent the big ring and it might give you a start.

post-508-0-48812600-1511705184.jpg

It holds it shape well and once I've got the locking bar back on this one and painted  it will bend back into place to represent the effect of gravity a little better.

P

• Like 3

John, thanks for posting about your grampuses.  I have two of the older kits for the unfitted variety which come with the different ends.  In due course I hope to introduce them to the Rumney underframe.  I have one but at the moment it is in too safe a place for me to find it!

Chris 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Metamorphosis from Grampus to Ling. The alterations to the basic Grampus body are complete. It was only when looking closely at the photographs as I was putting on the chains that I noticed that on the Ling, although the body height is the same as the Grampus, it sits lower on the chassis, hence the need for cut outs for the brake handles. Too late now as I have the floor set flush with the bottom of the sides.

post-7952-0-41139600-1513517231_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Metamorphosis from Grampus to Ling. The alterations to the basic Grampus body are complete. It was only when looking closely at the photographs as I was putting on the chains that I noticed that on the Ling, although the body height is the same as the Grampus, it sits lower on the chassis, hence the need for cut outs for the brake handles. Too late now as I have the floor set flush with the bottom of the sides.

attachicon.gifLing 05.JPG

Nice John - can you show us the chains on the other side please:-)

• 2 weeks later...

I indulged in a little frivolity over the Christmas period while waiting for things to arrive in the post. As the railway room is a multi use space, the layout is not allowed to block the doorway. The 'bridge' has been modified a few times but now it has had a face lift. The design of the main bridge is loosely based on the structure of the Ashton swing bridge in Bristol that carried the railway line into the docks. I have always been fascinated by this part of the city's railway system, a lot of scope for modelling - two swing bridges within a couple of hundred yards of each other, interesting domestic and industrial architecture .......

However, back to the bridge. The lower level that carries the line from the fiddle yard to the loco shed and also serves a couple of warehouses, is a pure figment of my imagination. All the additions are purely cosmetic, are laminated from old mounting card and are surprisingly strong.

The first shot shows Postlip Hall exiting the bridge. The second shows the full double bridge where a pannier can be seen propelling a brake van towards the shed area, probably to pick up empties from the coaling stage. 

post-7952-0-02331300-1514458799_thumb.jpg

post-7952-0-85616100-1514458814_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Before the opening of the M5 I loved being driven over that bridge. You got an even better view once the concrete bye-pass had opened. Dad used to call it the upside down bridge  as its decks were reversed compared to the High Level & King Eddie bridges back home.

6979212543_894523f77a_b.jpgAshton Swing Bridge 1950`s by shipscompass, on Flickr

Smashing collection of pics on flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=Ashton%20swing%20bridge

P

• Like 12