Hornby K1

davidw

I can't find a topic on these in Hornby 

so here goes. The  K1 ias yet another loco I'll be getting and have looked forward to for a while.

Prototype details can be found here: http://www.lner.info/locos/K/k1thompson.shtml

I think I was surprised that they were found in the north east as scotland and down south, Very welcome.

• Like 2

I can't find a topic on these in Hornby 

so here goes. The  K1 ias yet another loco I'll be getting and have looked forward to for a while.

Prototype details can be found here: http://www.lner.info/locos/K/k1thompson.shtml

I think I was surprised that they were found in the north east as scotland and down south, Very welcome.

Weren't they some of the last steam survivors in the North-East?

Here's a photo of one from 1966:-  http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/11993507503/

and another:-                                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/11850236015/

Weren't they some of the last steam survivors in the North-East?

Here's a photo of one from 1966:-  http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/11993507503/

and another:-                                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/11850236015/

Apparently so I'd not realized the allocations were so diverse

I know a few found their way to Liverpool ,62028 to Edge Hill shed on 17/3/65.

I spoke to a driver who told me that another driver had one at Liverpool and didnt realise that it was a K1, thinking it was a B1 and didnt realise until it was pointed out to him later.

I would like to find evidence of one being used on a York-Walton freight and arriving on Walton shed which I am modelling, it was usually a York B1 or V2, Ive always liked these locos.

They were a common site in East Anglia with 62004/11-20, 62031-40, 62051-55 and 62066-70 all allocated to the GE Section.

With the Claud and J15 also planned it's a very good year for the GE modeller.

Paul

• Like 1

Happy to be proved wrong of course but I very much doubt that they saw use on the Kyle line.They were certainly regulars on the West Highland Extension to Mallaig,Fort William shed having an allocation of 5 (over and above the class prototype 61997). Again,however,I'm not sure that anything on the Extension could be described as "fast". But photographs do often depict then hauling passenger trains with fish vans attached.

DR

Ummmm..... a little off-topic :P

After seeing the pre-production samples of the Class 700 Blackmotor - I hope Horby do the same for the K1, so far the pre-production samples of the Blackmotor look promising with quite a bit of added detail - smokebox dart, metal buffers etc. So I hope they stick to one principle for all they future products..... I personally feel that Hornby could have done a little better with the Duke of Gloucester and Hall, the P2 and Star seem to be better than them. Silly design philosophy from Hornby, hope it stays constant now.

• Like 1

I rather hope that Hornby, having announced a final payment to Kader for completion of work and the shipping out of all their legacy tooling stock pile, that this enables the reuse of suitable items from that tooling. They already have the tooling for the driving wheels for the K1 from the L1, complete with the brass bearings for example. No need to spend any money in tooling there, make from existing tools to the (all important) established good standard.

Have Hornby thought ahead on this model choice I wonder? With suitable provision for alternative parts in the tooling the rather nifty named LNER green K4s come into the frame. If the new chief exec. is up for a gamble these are a good un. Will equally suit a special 'celebrating independence' issue, or a 'hurrah for the union' edition.

• Like 1

They all ran in from Eastfield once built by NBL and doubtless found their way onto the West Highland, even if for only one run. In any case, a change of number will sort a Scottish one out  (62011/12/34/54 spring immediately to mind and there were others)

Paul

Also, at least one from the North Eastern region visited Glasgow for works attention after all the Scottish ones had gone south, and worked running-in turns afterwards. (62067 at Gourock 14 June 1966.) So there's your precedent/excuse if you don't want to renumber.

For those thinking of pre-ordering, its worth having a shop around, I've currently got one booked with a certain Sheffield based shop for £113.95 plus p&p which is the best price I could find.

I'm looking forward to an LNER liveried 2005 (not authentic, but certainly allowable for a preserved loco!) Or a B R liveried 62005, which I would have thought/hope will appear at some stage!

Cheers

J

• RMweb Premium

As with all Hornby products, I'll wait ro see how this one turns out before committing. Its not an essential model to have for me, so I can afford to wait it out. If its not upto sprec or if it sells out , it won't be a disaster

• 3 weeks later...

I've just been looking through the Hattons booklet that was in the post bag with my copy of Model Rail, and the Hornby pre orders page lists the K1 as being 'due Apr', now I don't for a moment suspect that it means they are imminent as there's been nothing on the way of tooling samples or any other info about then as yet, unlike the Drummond 700 and Crosti 9f (listed as 'due Sep' and ' due Nov' respectively)

If there is an April in the due date, I would suspect it would be next year, but I'm happy to be wrong, and for it to be sooner!

Cheers

J

• Like 1