Church Norton

3 link

They are lovely kits

Hi Steve,

Yes I agree and they have come along just at the right time, from what I know there was nothing similar to represent the GWR style of buffers out there. The only additional tweak I do to them is fit some 14BA nuts onto the ends of the stay bars.

Regards,

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

from what I know there was nothing similar to represent the GWR style of buffers out there.

David Rayner also does 3D printed GWR stop blocks, which are available via his Shapeways shop "Off the Rails"....

https://www.shapeways.com/product/RTJ4BHASW/gwr-buffer-stop?optionId=58765879

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall

David Rayner also does 3D printed GWR stop blocks, which are available via his Shapeways shop "Off the Rails"....https://www.shapeways.com/product/RTJ4BHASW/gwr-buffer-stop?optionId=58765879

Regards

Dan

Hi Dan,

Well you learn something new everyday, and cheaper as well. Typical as I only need one more on Church Norton, I have brought some "Off the Rails" items before and the quality is good.

Regards,

Martyn.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

As some of you know I’m taking a rest at the moment as the mojo has gone, not for long I hope. Anyhow the hobby is always there in the back of my mind as the rest of this post shows. I was walking the dogs this morning on one of the local beaches, when I noticed these dried out stems. These plants obviously grow on the beach shingle itself, but not being a plant buff I have not a clue as to what they are called? Size wise they look ideal for 7mm and above, and once you pluck the seed pods off I think they make a good basic structure for tree making. You could also cut the singular branches into bushes or shrubs, they are fairly sturdy but I’m wondering if a watered down coat of pva glue might add some strength to the plant.

Funnily enough in the background of the first photo, and across the old harbour mouth is the small village of Church Norton.

post-7101-0-98428200-1511001094_thumb.jpeg

post-7101-0-87172400-1511001178_thumb.jpeg

And without the seed pods,

post-7101-0-19266200-1511001380_thumb.jpeg

Any thoughts on this idea, are most welcome,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 10

I don't have any idea what it is but it does look useful for us 7mm modellers, so I guess I'll have to go down to the sea today and have a search around ! Oh!, and some fish and chips later !!

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

Yes the stems are quite robust, just the top branches are a bit more brittle, hence me wondering if I should dunk the plants in a weak pva solution. I have been following this thread and that’s what has given me the idea,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120848-little-muddle/page-1&do=findComment&comment=2649101

The chap imports his stems from the States and they are the best I’ve seen to date, but scale wise more for the 4mm market and also quite expensive, whereas these are freebies ( I can see your eyes lighting up, knowing you like a bargain)......

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Hi Martyn,

Those 'Trees' look fantastic, I will have to go walking and rooting to see if we in the North Wales coastal regions have similar things.

I did some Seafoam trees for my photo plank and I read an article on the preparation of them as trees for a model.

Firstly they are soaked in a bath of PVA/Glycerin/water and a dash of washing up liquid. then hung to dry before spraying the bark with colour (I left a couple natural). This helps preserve them and adds some structural integrity to them to stop them being brittle.

On my Seafoam trees I used 'Extra Hold' hairspray (£1 shop variety) and sprinkled some different static grasses over the branches.

I do like the look of those though!

Jinty ;)

Hi Martyn,

Those 'Trees' look fantastic, I will have to go walking and rooting to see if we in the North Wales coastal regions have similar things.

I did some Seafoam trees for my photo plank and I read an article on the preparation of them as trees for a model.

Firstly they are soaked in a bath of PVA/Glycerin/water and a dash of washing up liquid. then hung to dry before spraying the bark with colour (I left a couple natural). This helps preserve them and adds some structural integrity to them to stop them being brittle.

On my Seafoam trees I used 'Extra Hold' hairspray (£1 shop variety) and sprinkled some different static grasses over the branches.

I do like the look of those though!

Cheers Jinty,

Thanks for the tips, it's got to be worth a try as they are spot on size wise for 7mm and above, sorry I cannot be certain as to the name of the plants or if they are in your area, I will do some research and report back.

Martyn.

Jinty ;)

Was it Private Fraser who said "I'm not mean, I'm just careful"?

:)

" Private Fraser " Maybe a bit before my time : )

I wish, Ha Ha......

Martyn.

Simon

Well that did not take much research,

post-7101-0-26437300-1511016685_thumb.jpg

Sea Kale, and just for you Jinty how's this info.

A seaside plant with edible leaves, it mostly grows on shingle or rocky shores in the UK. There is a reasonable amount in North Wales on Pensarn beach, Abergele and on Anglesey.

Martyn.

Well that did not take much research,

attachicon.gifIMG_0360.JPG

Sea Kale, and just for you Jinty how's this info.

A seaside plant with edible leaves, it mostly grows on shingle or rocky shores in the UK. There is a reasonable amount in North Wales on Pensarn beach, Abergele and on Anglesey.

Martyn.

OOOh Pensarn beach is but 2 miles away from where I live!!! But a trip to Anglesey sounds better to me.

Thanks Martyn, very much appreciated, we just don't realise what is around us do we.

Jinty ;)

Hi Chris,

Many moons ago I used to be in the double glazing business, and the main use of these cutters was to trim the thin UPVC strips that surround the window and door openings. The cutters have come in very handy over the years and if you have ever tried cutting copper clad it is not the easiest of materials to cut, the cutting blade is just a standard Stanley blade which can be changed by removing just one screw.

attachicon.gifP1070257-1.JPG

As for the second baseboard I have used just the one cross member, I intended to put in two diagonal braces but as there was no sign of any flexing I did not bother. This board is 5' 6" across at the longest points and all the boards have additional end strengthening by just doubling up on the ply.

attachicon.gifP1070258-1.JPG

attachicon.gifP1070259-1.JPG

The layout will not be an exhibition layout, so hopefully once the boards are up, it will stay that way. But I am building it to be portable just in case my lottery numbers come up :mail: , all the boards are built using 9mm ply and I am surprised at how light they are. The main scenic boards will be open plan so will probably need some additional bracing.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

I'm a little concerned about that one photo showing grooves cut in the plywood uprights. I'm worried that this has reduced the ply to 3 ply in places but also introduced dozens of stress raisers  - places where stress concentrates and can take materials beyond their limits.

It might be less of concern there were grooves only where there were cross ways uprights and lots of quality wood glue and possible high quality corner strips.

Regards

Nick

Hi Guys,

As some of you know I’m taking a rest at the moment as the mojo has gone, not for long I hope. Anyhow the hobby is always there in the back of my mind as the rest of this post shows. I was walking the dogs this morning on one of the local beaches, when I noticed these dried out stems. These plants obviously grow on the beach shingle itself, but not being a plant buff I have not a clue as to what they are called? Size wise they look ideal for 7mm and above, and once you pluck the seed pods off I think they make a good basic structure for tree making. You could also cut the singular branches into bushes or shrubs, they are fairly sturdy but I’m wondering if a watered down coat of pva glue might add some strength to the plant.

Funnily enough in the background of the first photo, and across the old harbour mouth is the small village of Church Norton.

attachicon.gif7F4B5143-DBC6-4731-A21D-3BA3F3645218.jpeg

attachicon.gif2121E817-D23E-47AA-B524-5A4B79F70F46.jpeg

And without the seed pods,

attachicon.gifA5451435-79E7-4EB1-B90F-C34635E1D1F6.jpeg

Any thoughts on this idea, are most welcome,

Martyn.

Pagham Harbour?

Hi Martyn,

I'm a little concerned about that one photo showing grooves cut in the plywood uprights. I'm worried that this has reduced the ply to 3 ply in places but also introduced dozens of stress raisers  - places where stress concentrates and can take materials beyond their limits.

It might be less of concern there were grooves only where there were cross ways uprights and lots of quality wood glue and possible high quality corner strips.

Regards

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your concern, but there's no need for any worry as you can see in the photo below all my curved stretchers are doubled up and also with 3"X1" spacing.

post-7101-0-83636800-1511046766.jpg

I only routered out the grooves to allow for the curves in the side frames, so there is hardly any longitudinal stress in the stretchers, and also hardly any weight bearing down on the main frames. I can also assure you that only good quality wood glue was used in the construction of my baseboards ; )

Regards,

Martyn.

• Like 7

Yes Phil, Pagham harbour it is, does it bring back memories for you?

Martyn.

Yes. I grew up in Bognor and used to cycle across the harbor wall to work at the Bird Hospital in Sidlesham. Once cycled into a cow in the dark (it was 5am!). My parents still walk their dogs there sometimes and I took the dogs down there a few times when I was back this summer. Pleasant evenings spent at the pub on the Sidlesham side of the Harbour!

Yes. I grew up in Bognor and used to cycle across the harbor wall to work at the Bird Hospital in Sidlesham. Once cycled into a cow in the dark (it was 5am!). My parents still walk their dogs there sometimes and I took the dogs down there a few times when I was back this summer. Pleasant evenings spent at the pub on the Sidlesham side of the Harbour!

Hi Phil,

The Wife and I count ourselves very lucky to live in this part of the world, what with the coast and also the South Downs. Apart from 3 years in France we have always lived near the coast, it seems to draw you back like an invisible magnet.

Every weekend we walk the dogs around the harbour or along the beach back to Aldwick, but like most of the UK the area is slowly being built on and not for the better in my opinion, but we won't go there....

Martyn.

• Like 1