Church Norton

3 link

Looking good Martyn, glad to see your back at the layout. You got your MO Jo working. :>)

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael,

Yes I think the mojo's back at last, I have rebuilt the ramps on the up platform at the weekend so hopefully I will spray and weather the sides when I get a spare hour or two.

I am using the Vallejo range of acrylic paints that are already thinned for the air brush, and so far I think they're great, no fumes and so easy to clean the airbrush after use, brilliant.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 1

Another vote for Vallejo,

I’ve not tried the airbrush paints, but the little pots of brush paint are good. I recently bought a selection when visiting my mum on the Wirral - there’s a shop & war-gaming workshop in Brimstage who stock a very good range. I’ve been playing with them and som3 of Alan Buttler’s lovely Modelu figures.

Maybe it’s me but buying paint online just seems wrong... I’m sure I’ll get over it, but it would be nice to have a local shop that stocked such things. I think the nearest model shops are Woodchurch, Ashford or Faversham, none of which is just a few minutes away. The art shop in Folkestone closed a couple of years back, and the art shop in Canterbury doesn’t stock Vallejo. There is a GW in Canterbury, but they have own brand stuff, which I believe to be very good (MasterD went through a Warhammer phase about 12 years back and damn good he was too, but football, music, girls & beer replaced it - actually, on reflection, the Warhammer wasn’t that expensive after all...) but it’s another range, and different, and I’ve already got boxes of paints & stuff...

Anyway, Vallejo, yes.

Best

Simon

• Like 2

Hi Simon,

I am very lucky to have both Squires and Gaugemaster ( The Engine Shed ) literally on my door step, but saying that neither stock Vallejo, but there is a nice little model shop again close by who is a stockist of Vallejo.

The owner is a war gamer who also stocks various 4mm bits and bobs, it's funny when I look at 4mm nowadays it looks more like TT3 through my eyes, very small and fiddly and I certainly would never go back to a smaller gauge. What with diminishing eyesight and sausage fingers, 7mm the scale for me : )

ATB,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 2

I'm just starting to dip my foot into the Vallejo acrylics for airbrushing, also try the Ammo MIG and AK Interactive stuff, they seem good to me. Most of their colours are predominantly for military modelling, but there are some very usable colours in their ranges.

All of them spray quite well, although they say 'Airbrush ready' I have put a little acrylic thinners in to thin them some more.

I still stick with Enamel mixed with Celly thinners for body colours, or Celly paint itself, thinned down. I much prefer these paints for their durability and ease of application.

Jinty ;)

Hi David,

Same here, I suppose I'm a bit old school I also still use enamel or celly for loco and wagon bodies.

What are you thinning down the acrylics with? Some folk use plain old tap water, but a lot seem to recommend screen wash.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi David,

Same here, I suppose I'm a bit old school I also still use enamel or celly for loco and wagon bodies.

What are you thinning down the acrylics with? Some folk use plain old tap water, but a lot seem to recommend screen wash.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

I'm using Humbrol Acrylic thinners at the moment until I finish off the two bottles I purchased a while back when I last decided to try acrylics.

I've heard that screenwash is a good thinner for acrylics, and I have a fair bit available to me from work, so I'll fill the Humbrol containers and try it to see I think.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Not a lot to report, but I thought I would post an update. I have used a synthetic filler to build up and represent the platform edging stones on the non running side, this filler is very easy to sand down and then scribe any detail you might want to add.

I have yet to make a start on building the main platform where the station building will be sited, although that side should be easier as I have only the one side to detail and that will be brickwork instead of stone.

post-7101-0-98752400-1530450831_thumb.jpeg

post-7101-0-18611900-1530450860_thumb.jpeg

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Not a lot to report of late, over 45 days without rain now in this area, so I spend most of my time watering the garden.

The platform has had a bit more work done to it, but still a fairway to go before I will be happy with it.

post-7101-0-62852500-1531770568_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Martyn.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

A big thank you to Phil at Intentio, I thought I'd do a dry run of the signal box kit I brought from him at Telford, just so I could see where to site it on the layout. I have built a few mdf kits before, but none come close to this kit, so crisp and it all ( so far ) fits together so well, brilliant.

post-7101-0-97664700-1537627755_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-99935400-1537627795_thumb.jpg.

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 5

Is the point rodding opperational Martyn, am assuming yes cause I know what your like for detail :)

Either way,  Love it.

Morning John,

I'm afraid not, life is too short, although I remember a 4mm layout at an exhibition some years ago with working point rodding and even the facing point locks operated as well, unreal!!

All the best,

Martyn.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Not a lot to show of late, I am just toying with some greenery or should I say parched wild grass, and weathering of some of the trackwork.

And a big thank you goes to Simond of this parish, I had an electrical shorting problem which I could not solve for over two weeks ( very frustrating), but as the saying goes two heads are better than one, and we sorted it in the end, and yes it was my fault in the first place !

I really must update my lighting, the quality of the photos is a bit grainy to say the least.

post-7101-0-10687800-1539536169_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-63784400-1539536189_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-00888400-1539536213_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

A big thank you to Phil at Intentio, I thought I'd do a dry run of the signal box kit I brought from him at Telford, just so I could see where to site it on the layout. I have built a few mdf kits before, but none come close to this kit, so crisp and it all ( so far ) fits together so well, brilliant.

attachicon.gifIMG_0685.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0687.JPG.

ATB,

Martyn.

Any progress with this? I've had one of these ready to collect for ages but couldn't get to Telford.

Any progress with this? I've had one of these ready to collect for ages but couldn't get to Telford.

No I haven't made a start on the box yet, I just needed to see the size of the base and where best to site it. It's in the to do pile, but it's far from the top I'm afraid.

ATB,

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

No I haven't made a start on the box yet, I just needed to see the size of the base and where best to site it. It's in the to do pile, but it's far from the top I'm afraid.

ATB,

Martyn.

I know that feeling - which is why I’ve still not collected it 3 months after he told me it was ready to pick up!

Edited by Hal Nail

I know that feeling - which is why I’ve still not collected it 3 months after he told me it was ready to pick up!

It might be a good idea to collect it soon, as Phil is closing down Intentio. Such a shame as the quality of his kits are second to none in my opinion.

Martyn.

• 3 weeks later...