Church Norton

3 link

Sorry to butt in but you may be surprised.  I'm not sure where in sunny West Sussex you are but you are more than welcome to join in with our area group - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/245-south-east-coastal-area-group/

We have a members directory, you may find that there are people nearby who are willing to join in.  There's also an O gauge group that meet in Worthing (http://www.southcoasto.co.uk/p/welcome-to-south-coast-o.html) that may be worth getting in touch with.

I shall follow this one, I know the 'real' Church Norton near Selsey :)

Hi Cromptonnut,

Well I live roughly 4 miles from Church Norton, and a lovely part of the world it is to.

There is a club in Bognor Regis but they are into their 2mm and 4mm stuff, the Worthing club I would join but we are talking a 40 mile round trip, that may not seem to bad but when you have been out on the road all day for a living all you want to do is settle down in the evenings and let the world stop spinning !

Sorry if I sound a bit negative, it would be great to have some like minded souls a bit closer but never mind .  I usually get my fixes at the Telford and Reading shows each year.

ATB,

Martyn.

The group in Worthing meet on a Sunday - I don't know if that makes any difference to you.

But SECAG itself is a fairly loose ad-hoc thing at the moment - some of us are working on ideas towards the OO Modular project but, like anything we do, you get as involved (or not) as you wish.  We occasionally meet up at shows so you're more than welcome to have a nose round our area group page on here and see if anything takes your fancy.

I have a 'favourite bench' at Pagham Harbour I frequently go and sit on when I need to clear my head.  I just wish they'd do something about the potholes in the car park...

Edited by cromptonnut

I did not realise they met on a Sunday, in that case I will pop over and see the guys, cheers.

As for Pagham I walk the dogs down there by the lagoon most days and if you are talking about the car park at the end of west road, it has been closed for quite a while now due to the drunken youths that like to start fires and spread their litter all over the place.

At the moment that is the least of Paghams problems, quite a few beach front homes are under threat from costal erosion and we are talking 6 mtrs  before they are washed away. The full story of their plight and the reason for why this is happening can be found on Facebook under " save pagham beach " it makes an interesting read with a few aerial video clips.

I will pop over for a look at your area group page now.

ATB,

Martyn.

I meant the car park at the Church Norton end (off the Selsey road).  We have a family holiday caravan at Bunn Leisure at Selsey so are down that way frequently.  Saw about the Pagham beach erosion, worrying stuff especially knowing how the caravan site was trashed in the 2008 storm; that's why they've just spent £17 million building a new beach to prevent it happening again.

I'm with you now, yes the car park by the old church.

A lot of the Pagham residents are actually blaming the new beach at Selsey for causing an adverse effect as to what is now happening to them. 

The only thing I do think is strange is that the beaches even further eastwards past Bognor, there shingle is a good foot higher than usual, weird.

Martyn.

I suppose that it's possible, that the shingle washed away from Selsey ended up at Pagham - although I'm not quite convinced.

Don't forget also the work that the environment agency have done to the west of the caravan site as well.

Anyway, drifting off topic... let's see some layout progress :)

Anyway, drifting off topic... let's see some layout progress :)

As for progress, well I have just installed some crash barriers, hopefully they will never be used in anger :O .

post-7101-0-37607300-1408015492.jpg

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, as work has been quiet I have managed to make a start on the electrics ( my pet hate ) and believe it or not it all worked first time, point motors as well !

post-7101-0-47666500-1409252965.jpg

So all that is left to do to the fiddle yard now is to build the 3 remaining turnouts, so then I can make a start on the scenic boards.

post-7101-0-70962600-1409253199.jpg

As you can see in this last picture I have to juggle about with the different track gauges, and to make sure the 31.5mm gauges are just for the crossing vee and the wing rail area.

post-7101-0-33227800-1409253613.jpg

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 4

Hello Martyn,

are you only using 31.5 in the crossing nose area, I'd have thought that you'd have ran it all the way through the points including the switch rail area.

OzzyO.

Hello Matey,

The main reason I decided to go 31.5mm was to avoid the dreaded  wheel drop that you usually get with R-T-R, and even hand built turnouts in some cases unless you reduce the flangeway width through the crossing vee.  

As all my turnouts are on a continuious curve I like to have that little bit extra play whenever possible, and I make the transition from 32 mm to 31.5 so gradual that it is hardly noticeble at all. Two of my turnouts on the planned scenic section are nearly 3' long so it is easy to blend in and out the 0.5 mm difference  :paint: .

ATB,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

Hello Mate,

try doing one with the toe end of the point at 31.5 I think that you will like the look of it, more so on the scenic section.

See you next Sat. is Jo coming along as well?

OzzyO.

Yes hopefully I will make it on Saturday, and no Jo will not be coming as she was not impressed about the comment regarding the docks :beee: .

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks,

Well it's been a while since I last posted any updates, what with the glorious summer we had and work getting in the way not a lot of work was done on the layout.

But now with the autumnal changes happening I have more of an interest in carrying on with the layout, rather than walking down the beach.

Well with the fiddle yard now all up and working, it's on to the first scenic board, this board is a bit on the large side being 6' 5 inches long but as the layout is hopefully going to be permanently sited in the room it should be fine. Actually the board is not that heavy in it's current state and I needed it to be longer so as not to have a board join across the heel of the curved turnout that will enter the station platforms. This board is lower than the fiddle yard so then I can hopefully blend in a small bridge and embankments along the line.

Here are a couple of photos to give you all an idea of what I am waffling on about.

post-7101-0-77453400-1415284509.jpg

post-7101-0-38193100-1415284534.jpg

post-7101-0-27519100-1415284575.jpg

ATB,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 11

Very nice progress, Martyn.

How far around the room do the current base boards go?

Morning Kev,

Currently I would say about a third of the way round, and being a one man band I think this project might take a bit longer than I first thought :whistle: :O . But saying that I am enjoying the build and it is only the electrical side of things that brings me out in a cold sweat.

ATB,

Martyn.

Morning Kev,

Currently I would say about a third of the way round, and being a one man band I think this project might take a bit longer than I first thought :whistle: :O . But saying that I am enjoying the build and it is only the electrical side of things that brings me out in a cold sweat.

ATB,

Martyn.

Seeing as it's just you doing the work I think you're doing rather well.

I look forward to seeing more progress.

Martyn

nothing to fear - I'm sure there's help at hand.  If you post up your trackplan, I'll give some suggestions

best

Simon

Thanks for the offer Simon, I will put a plan up at the weekend.  I will be using DCC and hopefully operate the turnouts though a lever frame which will then go to the Tortoise motors via micro switches. It's basically where to put the track feeds and the rail breaks that seem to stump me.

ATB,

Martyn.