Wickham Trolley

Combe Martin

• RMweb Premium

I came across this on E-bay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324941800212 a 009 brake van. Upon checking it I realised the width is the same as the 'trailer' of the trolley so I ordered one and it arrived today. I am going to shorten* the body and fit it in place of the wagon body, fit a radiator at the outward end so that it represents a pair of trolleys running back to back. *By removing the rear of the body sides in line with the window the length is only about a millimetre more than the trailer. The kit comes with a seat moulding and I will fit a false floor to cover the motor.

• 8 months later...
On 12/03/2022 at 19:25, PhilJ W said:

I came across this on E-bay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324941800212 a 009 brake van. Upon checking it I realised the width is the same as the 'trailer' of the trolley so I ordered one and it arrived today. I am going to shorten* the body and fit it in place of the wagon body, fit a radiator at the outward end so that it represents a pair of trolleys running back to back. *By removing the rear of the body sides in line with the window the length is only about a millimetre more than the trailer. The kit comes with a seat moulding and I will fit a false floor to cover the motor.

In a similar vein, would it be possible to fit one of the Wickham trolley bodies that Bachmann sell as a spare part in place of the wagon body on the motorised vehicle? Obviously I would then use either tarpaulin or solid sides to hide the motor but would the motor and weight block itself be too wide?

Also, it’s probably been covered already if I go back far enough, but how easy is it to temporarily uncouple the trolley and trailer? It would allow me to make modifications to one without damaging the other.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

In a similar vein, would it be possible to fit one of the Wickham trolley bodies that Bachmann sell as a spare part in place of the wagon body on the motorised vehicle? Obviously I would then use either tarpaulin or solid sides to hide the motor but would the motor and weight block itself be too wide?

Also, it’s probably been covered already if I go back far enough, but how easy is it to temporarily uncouple the trolley and trailer? It would allow me to make modifications to one without damaging the other.

The trailer body just clips on, I haven't looked that closely at the trolley but I think you will have to remove the floor and seats to fit it on the motorised chassis.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The trailer body just clips on, I haven't looked that closely at the trolley but I think you will have to remove the floor and seats to fit it on the motorised chassis.

Yes I thought that might be the case. Not too much of an issue as there’s already the open one and this one can have closed sides.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There is, or was a photo-etched body for a Wickham trolley available. Being very thin sheet metal it might be an easy fit on to the trailer without removing the body.

The other option which might be interesting is one of the Baguley Drewry trollies. Worsley Works does a scratch aid for these - it’s based on ‘Wasp’ at Welshpool and intended for 009, but that particular one has been regauged and they were standard gauge originally. Whether it would be appropriate or possible for one to run back to back with a Wickham is another matter though. The advantage of a spare Bachmann Wickham body is that it will definitely match the one I already have, although this may not really matter if I’m not able to use much of it anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nile said:

I thought that was the one. The key thing in this case then is whether it’s harder or easier to use for such a conversion than the Bachmann spare bodies, and whether the two are dimensionally similar (as even though they’re the same prototype they might not be - see RTR and kit 16 ton mineral wagons as another example of this).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 03/12/2021 at 10:49, PhilJ W said:

Has anyone tried or succeeded in fitting a 9mm gauge mechanism under the Bachmann trolley itself? 

Yes - just found this...

Does Kato still do (what I presume is) the old style Portram chassis and if so where can I get one?!!!

• Like 1