New Hey - the final pieces in the Jigsaw

Andy C

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

Thanks for the confirmation about the curves. I am encouraged by what you say; I was worried about 1,8m curves looking a little too train set but it seems I will get away with them...

LOVE the steamy B&W shot, by the way.

G

• 3 weeks later...

Two new little additions were completed today in time for Railex tthis coming weekend - a little job Ive been putting off and off because its not an essential part of the layout - information boards for the front. I've mused quite long about what exactly to put on them, its a thing I think will explain what the layout is about and also give an idea of the fidelity of the build. I will later put a few captions on the photos.

In the end i decided for board one being a copy of the guide explanation material, plus 4 pictures, one from each "corner" of the layout plus one of the carriage destination posters from the last train on the line. Board two is 3 more historic pictures from 1914, and the very early 50s, plus a then and now (well 2008) display - theres nothing there at the moment apart from a building site where they are erecting new platforms and making clearance for the overhead catenary for Metrolink.

post-6679-0-50382800-1306064974_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-09029200-1306065094_thumb.jpg

Seeing pictures of your fine layout in situ in an exhibition hall, I am surprised it is not as wide as close up shots of the layout seem to indicate. This is very helpful as I am now determined to try and squeeze a little more foreground in front of the tracks in my next manifestation of Greenfield so that trains appear to run through the landscape. Your track and point work looks super Andy.

At its widest point its 39 inches wide (the station /goods shed board gap) tapering down to 27 inches at both ends. Effectively the layout balloons out in the middle, the front fascia being dead straight.

A pleasure to meet you today at Raillex thank you for the tips on painting the bridge I will certainly have a go when I rebuild my layout ,the layout is a masterpiece and runs so well with brilliant stock.I have just booked my train tickets for Stafford on the 2nd July so will have another chance to see the layout,once again thanks for taking the time to chat .

A pleasure to meet you today at Raillex thank you for the tips on painting the bridge I will certainly have a go when I rebuild my layout ,the layout is a masterpiece and runs so well with brilliant stock.I have just booked my train tickets for Stafford on the 2nd July so will have another chance to see the layout,once again thanks for taking the time to chat .

Thank you for that - a pleasure to chat with you.

Unfortunately we are not at the members day this year - but now we are running full and reliable tilt show sequence if Andy invites us to a future members day, we will be there!

Now some pics from Railex featuring some of the new additions to the layout, the Patriot on the double header and the blue 105. On Saturday evening we ran the first almost full running of the red bank empty vans - but there was only 19 vehicles in the rake led by the double headed Black 5 and Patriot. the lat photo had to go in - Ian Worthington expresses his distaste at running something blue!

post-6679-0-53345300-1306710377_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-73876800-1306710475_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-66456200-1306710572_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-60858000-1306710672_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

A new loco on its way:

Whilst Bachmans 3F is quite an impressive model, I was a bit offput by comments on the splashers (pernickety I know) but more importantly the odd sized 2.14 mil axles making conversion to EM an absolute swine. I really need one as well as these locos in the mid 60s were often seen working the Rose Grove - Stoke parcels via Rochdale / Oldham on the Oldham loop which is one of the workings modelled on the layout.

I have owned (maturing in the wardrobe) a Gibson 3F kit for some years now, but put off building it with the prommise of Bachmans effort. So now being put off the RTR variant out came the old Gibbo box and:

post-6679-0-73486100-1322928934_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-02019900-1322928998_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-45681600-1322928966_thumb.jpg

This is strictly a Wednesday evening Rochdale club night build as i dont want to intefere with track building for North Ballachulish so it will take some time but hopefully by the time we get to Glasgow SEC in february, the 3F will be pulling the train below, currently Crab hauled.

post-6679-0-98971200-1322929211.jpg

For some reason some pictures posted later in one of the threads showed the 3F tender loco sitting down well onto the splashers. I won't really know for sure if any extra work is involved until mine arrives with the early crest. But the first thing I'll be doing is placing the 3F on a scale drawing of a L&Y 3F to see if the chassis can be used.

Your Newhey layout went down well with the lads from Wales when they saw it at one of the exhibitions.

• 3 months later...

Following our trip to Ally Pally last weekend a post was made on that thread which really made me proud - someone has got exactly what Ive set out and tried to do with the layout, modeling something exactly how it is:

The 3rd or 4th time I’ve seen New Hey and yet still a decent watch. Good selection of stock, always something moving, sparse & bleak scenic modelling.

Thank you for that Dave, its most appreciated - You get it!! Sparse and bleak is what New Hey exactly is, nestled in a Pennine valley it could be nothing else, my only regret as i explained to someone who commented that the only thing wrong is that it should be raining, was that I had though about installing shower heads on the pelmet to give the watching audience a good late June downpour, but the health and safety police may have something to say about mixing water and 240 volts on the lighting rig. :nono:

One of the aims is to have something moving across the front all the time - whilst we run to what is effectively the actual working timetable to the line, its accelerated so one train follows the next immediately its gone into the fiddleyard at the back. Inevitably there will be occasions where nowt is on front of house, but its usually only a matter of 10 -20 seconds and I reckon theres plent else to look at on the layout in that time.

Ive modelled the stock on prototype trains, although there are one or two interlopers in there, and everying gets a weathering in various degrees from one to ten. Next time you see it (Scheduled at Stockport in May, Holmfirth in October and possibly Southampton in January) there will be even more as the fiddleyard is getting 3 extra roads in the next few weeks. One will contain a tractor train - in the early 60s disused mills in The Oldham Rochdale area were used to store tractors from the Coventry area before export - usually hauled by a Nuneaton based G2. Possibly another block train too on the other side, and in the final berth a 6 car DMU. In Nanking Blue. We have photos which suggest it used the route to get to Bury Bolton Street in 1966 on a charter. :O

Many thanks to both you and Martin for taking the time to talk about the layout and showing me New Hey from 'round the back'. It's always great to see how a layout is put together and I must congratulate you on a terrific layout. The way you deal with the trailing point work in the fiddle yard was so simple, yet very effective.

New Hey is a perfect example of 'less is more' and it started me thinking about Palmers Green which was the station where I grew up in North London. Sundays were great with diverted ECML trains travelling up the Hertford loop before rejoin the ECML just south of Stevenage.

All I need is another 12'....... ;)

Thanks Gordon

We do enjoy showing people round the business end to see how we have done things, all part of the New Hey package, Believe me if you had been there any longer you would have got a controller put in your hand - Martin was working towards it!

I can't get over this new found enthusiasm for the layout since the success of Warley, Glasgow, but most recently Ally Pally! All the constituent parts for the new fiddleyard were favricated last Wednesday night (common Crossings) at the Rochdale club night, and this afternoon the point blades - next Wednesday evening I hope to assemble all 3 points with a bit of luck.

That will leave the three points on the curves to complete. The one into road One on the outside will have to be switchable as its an entry point, but the other two are exit points and will be built on the same bladeless pricipal already used on the fiddle exits. Yes it looks like it shouldnt work, but it does. If you see me at a show ask for a look!

post-6679-0-67601500-1333297825_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-50397900-1333297868_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-69977200-1333297783_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-47974400-1333297739_thumb.jpg

As the laying in of the extra roads requires all the curves and fiddlkeyards to be put up, I suspect one of our infamous "working weekend" may occur before stockport in the middle of May.

• 1 month later...

Archived