New Hey - the final pieces in the Jigsaw

Andy C

Was a good show Pete!

Anyway, heres something out of place, but not out of place if you fast forward 47 years!

post-6679-0-89681300-1336989806_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-83423500-1336989822_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-70455500-1336989840_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-69756400-1336989860_thumb.jpg

and no its not mine it belongs to Savoyard. Looked at the EM conversion but thats a non starter withour major surgery to the bogies and wheels. In any case the price tag said £175, and for what you get its not THAT good - all the detail is printed on, rather reminiscent of Hornby tinplate.

In response to a comment from Andy Y on the gallery photos of the Tram, heres an overhead of the bit the public don't see - and of course taken from and angle where the offending appendage cannot be seen so as not to insense those of a touchy disposition or p***s envy! Actually figure aside, Im quite pleased by the grottyness of New heys bogs - whilst I dont think by any stretch of the imagination they would have ever been "industrial" I dont think they would have been pristine either!

post-6679-0-50373000-1337096061_thumb.jpg

Edit* the resolution is not that good but for those interested, the "stream" which can vaguely be made out is actually a strand of fibre optic!

• 4 weeks later...

More progress on the new stock tis afternoon when the last lowfit for the forthcoming tractor train was finished ready for painting. Ive a couple of more plate waggons to do for it but is getting there and should be ready for a roll out at Holmfirth in October.

post-6679-0-51199300-1339085566_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-60633900-1339085617_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-02247300-1339085656_thumb.jpg

Apologies to those offended by such things but the baseboards trackplan they rest on is my next project, NorthBallchulish in P4

• 1 month later...

may i ask will you be moddeling the anachronism of the two pubs on the Denshaw road with the virtualy the same names ?

Namley the Bird in hand & the Bird ith hand ? commonly known as the top bird and bottom bird

just to keep it prototypical ?

may i ask will you be moddeling the anachronism of the two pubs on the Denshaw road with the virtualy the same names ?

Namley the Bird in hand & the Bird ith hand ? commonly known as the top bird and bottom bird

just to keep it prototypical ?

Both pubs are just a bit too far up Huddersfield Road to model I'm afraid Peanuts. I really should, my Uncle Bert was a regular at the top Bird for some time! Howwever the real missing item is the magnificent St Thomas's church which again, is unfortunately too far off the baseboard.

• 2 months later...

A foreign body appears at New Hey

As part of the forthcoming (eventually) tractor train a purchase was made last weekend at the Manchester show - one of the new exSR Pilbox brakevans from those nice people at Barwell, as these vans did get all over the place in their latter years.

Im not that familiar with the prototype but out of the box it looks a little gem - and it took me all of 30 seconds to convert to EM as the wheels just pulled out and the new Gibson EM wheels go straight in without any butchery of plastic needed - and he brakeblocks are absolutely in the right place. It ran freely straight away with no furher adjustment needed. After adding the supplied brake rods and axleguards etc I decided to get on and make a start weathering it.

A bit of a touch with the weathering powders once the washes have dried and Bobs yer Uncle - this will be running at The Huddersfield Modellers show at Holmfirth in a fortnight - New Heys next outing.

post-6679-0-60025500-1350234474_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-50874200-1350234488_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good weekend at the Holmfirth show - omce the usual first hour niggles had been got out of the way - as usual caused by being stored in the garage and stock which hadn't really been touched since the last show, once again we ran faultlessly - so much so enabling me to lay the critical bits of the new roads in the fiddleyard where they cross the baseboard joints. This will save a lot of work before the next show at Southampton in January.

post-6679-0-94059000-1351456973_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-10657800-1351456994_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-87400200-1351457019_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-13547600-1351457040_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-77458500-1351457060_thumb.jpg

The track on the left in the first picture will hold something which is due in my clammy mitts very shortly - the BP. Now I was a bit sceptical about this project initially but as the owner (and I still have it ) of a Triang BP in my boyhood really I had to have one. This discovery that there is a high probabilty one did run throuh New Hey in 1966 on its way to a cup tie at Gigg Lane in Bury, chartered by Walsall FC was enough to convince me that it would be £300 beer tokens well spent, especially when its converted to EM !

The track on the right will house eventually a district inpsectors saloon and what will be the Red Bank rake on Glaisden - a train of approx 20 different parcels vehicles - On Glaisden I am modelling the two "out" workings - Vulcan, who is visible in the above picture holding his customary mug of tea just with a splash of milk - is modelling the single empties double headed return working. The remaining line at the far end will have the tractor train - which will be complete once Mr Modelmaster gets his finger out and gets some Lowfit sheets done.

A few more pics from the weekend - the Pilbox now has a new squatter.

post-6679-0-73963500-1351456909_thumb.jpg

A rare sighting of rail blue

post-6679-0-67796000-1351457079_thumb.jpg

An overall view

post-6679-0-63781300-1351456927_thumb.jpg

post-6679-0-70973400-1351456947_thumb.jpg

Full steam for Southampton when hopefully all will be revealed and working!

I can almost smell the air in that cutting. Acid rain bleached ballast is also a neat touch. I wonder if you ever got Newton Heath's MR condensing 3F 0-6-0T around at Newhey. I used to see it shunting at Hollinwood and Werneth and it was a regular for a time on the Higginshaw Gas Works train.

Is that the very rare and never before seen (or indeed modelled) 32t mineral wagon I can see? :scratchhead: :no:

Hey up! I thought it was only the yanks that run "double stack" trains!!!

Looks like you had a good time at Holmfirth, wish I could have gotten across for a good look.

Hmmm, do I spot a certain 'Roomey' from Derby in the background of your fifth shot, above!?!

Cheers,

John E.

Hmmm, do I spot a certain 'Roomey' from Derby in the background of your fifth shot, above!?!

Cheers,

John E.

Ahh yes indeed, I'd forgotten that you were once of the Mickleover club! - Farkham was behind us. Wish I'd have thought of that name for a layout, mind you if I went Western Region, I could have a loco called Farkham Hall.

One of the things which really bugs me in life is when people attempt to impose their own morals on me and what I do. Please we don't need or want lectures, or a moral compass applying to my thread. If you dont like it then move along the bus please.

Thanks for clearing that up BP, it is much appreciated - quite a few people but not everyone knows there is some "RM Web history" behind the figure taking a leak in the privvy, including the somewhat laughable threat of legal action for publishing offensive images. I kid you not. Hence my reply!!

...........there is some "RM Web history" behind the figure taking a leak in the privvy, including the somewhat laughable threat of legal action for publishing offensive images. I kid you not. Hence my reply!!

At my age nothing should suprise me, but the threat of legal action takes the biscuit. Now't stanger ner folk, as they say oop north! I suppose that puts the lid on me putting a bloke and his bird just inside the goods shed entrance on Greenfield brew.... :secret:

Archived