Nile's Mostly Freelance Bodging Bench - Pre-Grouping Locos

While waiting for paint and transfers to dry I'll start the tale of the next loco.

Post war passenger traffic needed more powerful locos. These came in the form of Midland 4-4-0 compounds with some modifications (the Midland was a significant LMWR shareholder). This was achieved using the excellent Bachmann model of the LMS built compound.

The good news is that this model is left hand drive, which is what I want. But it needs some modifications to make it more Midland like.

What I was aiming for is a left hand drive version of this (public domain image).

attachicon.gifMidland_Compound_1025_(Boys'_Book_of_Locomotives,_1907).jpg

Loco body modifications.

attachicon.gif110_1.jpg

Left to right, the mods are:

New whistle. The Bachmann one is fragile and broke.I found one in the bits box, could be an old Hornby one.

Replace safety valves with Ramsbottom type, scratch built from bits and pieces.

Sand the dome into a rounder shape. I attached it to a mini-drill and used some sand paper to re-profile it.

I replaced the chimney with the one I'd removed from the C class earlier.

Moved the upper lamp iron from the smokebox door to the top of the smokebox.

Cut away the frame extensions in front of the smokebox saddle.

attachicon.gif110_2.jpg

With the chassis and boiler removed, you can see where I've cut and filed the frame extensions. I've started re-painting the body into the passenger livery of red oxide with black lining.

attachicon.gif110_3.jpg

Cleaned up and painted. In the background is the boiler with its new rounded dome.

Putting the bits back together, this is what you get.

attachicon.gif110_4.jpg

Nice locomotive. If I was doing a sort of Midland Compound, I'd stick a 3F tender at the back for some proper old-time feel to it.

The next project is a bit simpler, a bit of detailing and a repaint.

The starting point is a GBL C class model, the plan is to turn it into a typical goods engine of the West Midland Railway.

Here the model has been stripped down to its component parts and the moulded handrails removed. The front and middle splashers have been swapped.

attachicon.gifC_1.JPG

I've repainted it using Reading green, another obscure paint from the US.

attachicon.gifC_2.JPG

That's the same way the conversion from the C Class to the A Class was made.

With the handrails and smokebox painted their appropriate colours I sprayed it with matt varnish, apart from the dome which I masked. I kind of like the big shiny brass dome.

attachicon.gifC_8.JPG

Finally a few extra details added - real coal on the tender and reverser linkage on the loco (left hand drive).  The coupling rods have been oilified with some Tamiya X-19 Smoke.

attachicon.gifC_9.JPG

attachicon.gifC_10.JPG

It won't be pulling any trains, but then nor will any of my other OO locos any time soon. It should be possible to motorize it in the future if needed.

That looks nice. It looks like a great model. It reminds me of the L&YR Class 25 as I mentioned previously.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The tender I've used is off a Super D. I did look at the shorter B12 tender but it just looked too bulky without major hacking. Will be getting a squirt of primer this weekend so I imagine it'll blend in a bit better. Not over decided on livery yet.......anything except black I think!

There goes the warranty...

Looking good so far. I'd prefer a smaller tender, but it might look better when painted the same as the loco.

• RMweb Premium

Exactly so. Just need to shorten the cab side-sheet and you're 95% there.

Looks like a Derby tender, something that might be run behind a 2F

Not at all, Beyer Peacock through and through.

Beyer Peacock built the first dozen of the LSWR 415 Class - works Nos. 2167-2178 - in 1882. They built the first batch of 4-4-0s for the Lynn & Fakenham in the same year - works Nos. 2105-2108, i.e. before the 4-4-2Ts. To my mind, this suggests that the 415 Class owed as much to Gorton as Nine Elms, rather than the 4-4-0s ripping off Adams' design. Here's another 4-4-0 built by Beyer Peacock in 1882, for the Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway.

Edited by Compound2632

My current work in progress........

attachicon.gif23336403_10154731565296652_621416009_o.jpg

That looks like something several smaller railways might have cobbled up circa 1900 when the LSWR were retiring Adams Radials and offering examples for sale. Several railways butchered ex Metropolitan 4-4-0Ts into improbable tender locos around that time. I think a severely hacked B12 tender would look the part better than the LNWR one, thinned and lowered the B12 tender is not unlike the MSWJR 2-4-0 tender..

• RMweb Premium

Sorry if I've missed it, but what is the diameter and pitch of the Radial boiler please. Thinkijg of a possible bodge here perhaps.

diameter = 18.0mm

pitch = 29mm (centre line to rail top) as best I can tell.

• 3 weeks later...