Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

Hi All,

Which of Hornby's RTR 00 models is best?

I intend to photograph several of what I consider their better efforts, usually with UK commercial aftermarket weathering, and my own photo editing, in a style which is a bit reminiscent of the cigarette cards of the first half of the C20th.

To start, the recent Thompson O1 2-8-0. A definite contender. This has very little editing, just a bit around the pony truck front. A couple of small parts fell of when handling this model but I cannot see where they should go.

post-7929-0-49414200-1393699686_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

My top choices are the Rebuilt West Country and the King Arthur.

I have several examples of both, none of which had any QC issues (though I did decline a 'Sir Ironside' that limped a bit) or have (so far) developed subsequent faults.

That just shades things in favour of the Pacific.

John

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob,

I second the Class 60. Still never bettered by any other RTR diesel since it's release in 2005 (?)

Have you ever thought of working your magic on a diesel? (Apologies if you already have and I haven't seen it)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Hornby mechanisms generally aren't used by me in P4 - with the exceptions of the 08 and 50 - so my selections are based on body only:

N15 - it's modular plug-together assembly is very useful

B1 - this one particularly sabotaged my hybrid projects, dammit

28xx

Schools

Merchant Navy (it took a while to get hold of the blue 35005)

08 - readily converted to P4.

I haven't had an excuse to use any other China NewGen Hornby, so that's my list for now. I hear the T9's good as well.....

• Like 1

Any of the recent LNER quartet. Much as I like the O1 you led with, the L1 has to be my favourite of the four. It looks right all over, and the glazing of the large cab windows is most effective in giving it that little 'extra'; once all the optional detail is hung on, a showcase model results. Lots of detail weathering opportunity with weeps from cracking of the tank welds too. 

I would also put in a mention for the M7. Very charming, they really got the character of this old design; arguably the best small tank engine model that has been made available in OO RTR.

Hornby's A1/A3 and A4. 

They must be coming up to near 10 years old now and although there are some compromises (cylinder wrap around on A4), I do think they capture the look of them superbly.

post-19999-0-80622700-1393720054_thumb.jpg

post-19999-0-24684900-1393720062_thumb.jpg

Plus a touch of weathering can really bring them to life!

• Like 7

Interesting choices!

Coming up will be an LNER green L1 with teak Gresley brake 3rd suburban as I have a nicely weathered and detailed version I have 'been getting around to' for ages, and as 00 RTR goes it is truly very very good.

Then it will be Britannias and Bulleid light Pacifics, and a weathered detailed Duke of Gloucester, although the latter might not qualify given the thread title. Actually I can never quite get the Bulleid Pacifics quite right around the front either, they often look too skinny and tall, maybe I'll blame my camera.

but until then, here is that O1 63890, a March engine I think in the 1960s, looking very 'steam age'... weathering by linesideandlocos of Wolverhampton.

post-7929-0-97489500-1393721045_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 10

Slightly OFF-TOPIC.... But in "my" opinion all the models that Hornby have made that "I" find great in terms of detail, overall appearance, performance  etc. So basically the models that I can say - pass as muster today

STEAM:
- GWR Castle
- GWR 61XX
- GWR King
- GWR 28XX
- GWR 38XX
- GWR 42XX
- GWR 52XX
- GWR 72XX
- GWR Grange
- GWR Star
- LMS Royal Scot
- LMS Coronation
- LMS 8F 
- LMS 2P
- LMS 4F
- LMS 0F
- LNER A1
- LNER A3
- LNER A4
- LNER B17
- LNER B1
- LNER L1
- LNER O1
- LNER N2
- LNER P2 (pre-production)
- SR N15
- SR WC/BoB
- SR Rebuilt WC/BoB
- SR M7
- SR Q1
- SR Schools
- SR T9
- SR Drummond Class 700 (pre-production)
- BR Britannia
- BR Clan
- BR Std 4
- BR Duke of Gloucester** (just about OK) :P

DIESEL & ELECTRIC:
- 4wDM Sentinel
- Class 08
- Class 09
- Class 31
- Class 43 HST
- Class 50
- Class 56
- Class 60
- Class 60
- Class 67
- Class 82 DVT
- Class 153 DMU
- Class 390 EMU
- Class 395 EMU
- 2BIL EMU
- 2HAL EMU (pre-production)
- 5BEL EMU
- 4VEP EMU
- Class 466** (just about OK) :P

= 56 locomotives in total. Many of which I have owned (mostly modern era ones) and have had no issues with at all over the last 15 years with excellent service from Hornby.

With forthcoming locos like the GWR Hall, D16, K1 and the 9F I do indeed expect higher results atleast for the last 3 mentioned if Hornby do go down the Class 700 route. :)

COACHES/WAGONS:
- BR/SR bogie passenger brake
- All Pullman stock
- All Maunsell stock
- Mk1 coaches
- Mk2E coaches (pre-production)
- Hawksworth/LNER teak coaches
- Pendolino coaches
- Javelin coaches
- Gresley BR/LNER suburban
- OTA
- KFA
- SPV-A/12 TON fish van**
- LMS 4 wheel CCT**
- GWR Shunters truck
- Thompson Non-corridor

All these are the models that I consider as good and models that I would spend money on. I am not looking for any useless ratings like "DISAGREE" for something that is my very own opinion about a range of products.

Slightly OFF-TOPIC.... But in "my" opinion all the models that Hornby have made that "I" find great in terms of detail, overall appearance, performance  etc. So basically the models that I can say - pass as muster today

But that does not answer the question that Rob asked.

Which is best?

8F

N2

4F

Are in no way up there with some models mentioned.

Nice as the L1 might be far too many people have experienced running problems for it to make even a short list.

A3/A4 have too many (very minor) compromises and items missing to be considered.

Bernard

Nice as the L1 might be far too many people have experienced running problems for it to make even a short list.

You see I've read those running problems and always wondered why my four have never exhibited similar tendencies when they're running. The pony truck is the same and I would hazard a guess my track laying is no better than anyone else's, yet I've never experienced the problem. I don't deny it's there - the double swing link nature of the 8F type pony truck works like that - but all else has seemed fine in my books.

I would say the best runner I've ever had was the O1 though. Astonishingly smooth and powerful, and yet this type of chassis design became redundant over the last year with Hornby. Such a shame.

• Like 1

But surely a badly-running L1 has more fidelity to prototype? :P  Isn't it odd that in our quest for greater accuracy, even if we want closer route availability, we want it always to work.

I do have a soft spot for the N2 despite everything, but I'm going to second Mr. Lamb and go for the Q1 as it is great as is and would undoubtedly scrub up well with weathering/detailing/removal of tension-lock/CGI, but also:

1. Its superb running qualities

2. Smaller prototype

3. I could afford one (probably not fair, especially given the original printing error on the RRP)

4. I could find one.

Now to await the Worst of thread, hopefully with suitable captions: Railroad Warship D802 Formidable and something that might be an 08 haul the 10.50 Perdition Express at Warp 8, just short of the precipice...

• Like 1