Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

No, I think a Heavy Tank would be a bit out of gauge to fit in a LCVP.

However there is a Tank in the early stages of assembly on my work bench..

A number of MLC/LCM vessels were built at Swindon, in 13 Shop (Wagon Frame Shop) from 1942 onwards.  I suspect they were the smaller version of your model, I'm not that well up with all this military stuff!

Swindon.  A funny place to build boats!

• RMweb Gold

A number of MLC/LCM vessels were built at Swindon, in 13 Shop (Wagon Frame Shop) from 1942 onwards.  I suspect they were the smaller version of your model, I'm not that well up with all this military stuff!

Swindon.  A funny place to build boats!

Swindon's actually not a funny place to build boats - if you're planning an invasion of Europe and you want to keep it secret from the enemy. After all there was a munitions factory built in part of the London Tube Network and the Munitions where shipped out in Bread Vans!

The LCM much bigger, than the LCVP ;)

• RMweb Gold

I did promise a tank - though this one's technically a 2-12-2 till the tracks are fitted. :jester:

post-7000-0-78400200-1539366590_thumb.jpg

(Lurking in the background is a certain Higgins LCVP)

post-7000-0-07391700-1539366771_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-40981800-1539366800_thumb.jpg

There may be a blog entry for the Higgins build or it may be a triple build blog..

• Like 2

A reminder of the adage, if you buy the last one in stock, it isn't always so...

How dare Hornby actually do what they said they would do!

Apparently arriving in shops, the second run.

post-7929-0-38904400-1539379734_thumb.jpg

And below this another fine model, which is so far as I know still quite commonly available, since I bought one for £85 last weekend.

post-7929-0-88457100-1539382504_thumb.jpg

lovely models, how can things get any better?

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, back on the workbench (okay the fireplace)..

A Ronson - as the crew's of the Sherman's used to call them!

post-7000-0-62553000-1539464995_thumb.jpg

And actually on the workbench - the Landing craft that would carry it to shore, during D-Day (LCM Mk.III)

post-7000-0-22606500-1539465210_thumb.jpg

For an old kit, it's going together very well so far (some filling was required)  and the Sherman sits nicely in it too.

And back to the GWR..

I did promise a heavy tank...

post-7000-0-47084000-1539465468_thumb.jpg

and a Knight - with Clive & Graham on the footplate..

post-7000-0-02425200-1539465574_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

...and a Knight - with Clive & Graham on the footplate....

So is it Clive or Graham trying to push the fallplate down to a more realistic position? This is something of a consistent problem with Hornby's rendering of this feature, on wgat are otherwise good models. Be a good move if they could adopt a hinging fallplate, as seen on most of Bach's introductions over the last ten years.

...A Ronson - as the crew's of the Sherman's used to call them!...

I know what a late Archbishop of Canterbury said on this subject. ALL WW2 tanks burned, simple as that.

The Western allies had far more Shermans in the field than any other tank during the post D-Day operations, so that was the tank that was most likely to be seen or experienced brewing up. Against this, with engines that started and ran more reliably than average, and easily the most manoeuverable Allied medium AFV, the only other WWII tankie I knew was very clear that it was the best option available in his experience.

• RMweb Gold

So is it Clive or Graham trying to push the fallplate down to a more realistic position? This is something of a consistent problem with Hornby's rendering of this feature, on wgat are otherwise good models. Be a good move if they could adopt a hinging fallplate, as seen on most of Bach's introductions over the last ten years.

I know what a late Archbishop of Canterbury said on this subject. ALL WW2 tanks burned, simple as that.

The Western allies had far more Shermans in the field than any other tank during the post D-Day operations, so that was the tank that was most likely to be seen or experienced brewing up. Against this, with engines that started and ran more reliably than average, and easily the most manoeuverable Allied medium AFV, the only other WWII tankie I knew was very clear that it was the best option available in his experience.

If you'd seen the fall-plate to begin with it was far higher up :P

Personally I hate the arched fall-plates, as they fall off quite easily and I end up making an entire floor (with fall-plate to replace it), the King is the only one that has a hinged one in the Hornby Range so far - though I've had a number of the hinged ones on Bachy loco's fall off - they must've been using the former Hornby Sanda Kan glue ;)

I'm know how many Sherman's the Allies had, they were called Ronson's for a reason - they used petrol engines and were lightly Armoured (compared to other tanks) and if the shells from a German tank hit them in the right place - kaboom! Hence why most crews would adorned their Sherman's with spare tank tracks across their weak points.

These Churchward 8-coupled tank engines just won't go away :)

Here is a development of Silver Sidelines' pic from the 42/52XX thread made into a shed scene with various magical potions...

post-7929-0-04726900-1539921026_thumb.jpg

becomes, via PSP6 and various pics of my own or public domain..

post-7929-0-48309400-1539921083_thumb.jpg

acknowledgements to Silver Sidelines for the original pic...  my model hasn't arrived in NZ yet.  I did receive a pristine R3224 7218 72XX today and at first glance the running plates are straight!

• Like 1

I

I'm know how many Sherman's the Allies had, they were called Ronson's for a reason - they used petrol engines and were lightly Armoured (compared to other tanks) and if the shells from a German tank hit them in the right place - kaboom! Hence why most crews would adorned their Sherman's with spare tank tracks across their weak points.

Going OT:

Actually it was the ammo stowage (propellant fire) that would go up. Propellant burns like a Roman candle when the hatches are open.

Latter versions of Sherman had wet stowage and they burned less easily. When the M26 Pershing came along, something which could face Panthers on an equal footing, the tables were reversed, it was Panthers that would suddenly brew up after being hit.

Both German and Western allies used petrol engines predominantly in these vehicles (The Sherman M4A2 variant was diesel powered though). The extra protection, using tracks sand, or whatever made no difference against an AP shell (even 3 ft of concrete posed no problem to them) but may have helped against Heat rounds like panzerfaust.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Swindon's Heavy Tanks, can't be used for amphibious landings - as the LCM isn't long enough, so it has to be a Sherman I afraid..

attachicon.gifIMG_6180.jpg

:jester:  :jester:  :jester:

(Though a Peckett or two would fit)

They don't like it up 'em!!!

Pecketts are more akin to Whippets...

• RMweb Gold

Keep you eye's peeled for another blog entry and I issue a challenge to Rob - edit this next photo into a D-Day like environment (I can provide the raw image. if you wish to except the challenge)

post-7000-0-79620800-1540059433_thumb.jpg

And currently on the workbench..

..yep it's a Heavy tank (and it's had a nose job)

post-7000-0-33782400-1540059467_thumb.jpg

..and something intriguing

post-7000-0-41334500-1540059483_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There's something about a black plastic model inexpertly painted by me which reminds me of 1962 and Kitmaster models... :)

Blue box I know but the same holds true for my recent Churchward heavy tanks.

The underrated Bachmann standard 2-6-4T 80135 which started out lined green as preserved...

post-7929-0-55660700-1540076131_thumb.jpg

I like the way black plastic can be made to so well represent metal..

post-7929-0-85980900-1540076458_thumb.jpg

I have a heavily-weathered 5231 on its way, as well as several books on Churchward 8-coupled engines, Welsh valleys, and will probably start to talk funny very soon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We must keep feeding Rob's Swindonitis..

The same 4200 (42xx) at different times during its career..

4280, early in it's career with the GWR - top lamp bracket in original position, no outside steam pipes, etc..

post-7000-0-35480600-1540477517_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-96688300-1540477593_thumb.jpg

4280 in BR Black (Late Crest) - ever so slightly a different machine..

post-7000-0-65064100-1540477490_thumb.jpg

We must keep feeding Rob's Swindonitis..

The same 4200 (42xx) at different times during its career..

4280, early in it's career with the GWR - top lamp bracket in original position, no outside steam pipes, etc..

attachicon.gif4280_rh.jpg

attachicon.gif4280_lh.jpg

4280 in BR Black (Late Crest) - ever so slightly a different machine..

attachicon.gif4280BR_rh.jpg

Oh yes, my cup of tea