Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Having failed in my attempt to buy the 50 Guinea Special pair R2686A and R2686B  44781 and 44871 respectively (there is one on Ebay at a fair £220 but he won't post o'seas) I took another look at my many and various Black 5s and reasoned that I probably had enough,  what a plethora of variations, and Hornby have done most of them very well.

Here below is 45253 in very BR Black 5 appearance.... 

attachicon.gif45253_Black5_5MT_BR_45253_portrait_6abcde_r1200.jpg

I observe that Hattons since their stock-take E-issues have vast numbers of some models at good prices, you can have a 44781 pre-DCC plug or similar for about 75 quid. 

pic edited

cheers, 

I think all of the super detailed (s post to old model now Railroad) Black 5's are DCC ready (ie have a plug), the only difference is that in early models like the weathered 44781 it is in the loco whilst for more recent productionit is in the tender. Great picture by the way  - but then I like all of your pictures!

I think all of the super detailed (s post to old model now Railroad) Black 5's are DCC ready (ie have a plug), the only difference is that in early models like the weathered 44781 it is in the loco whilst for more recent productionit is in the tender. Great picture by the way  - but then I like all of your pictures!

Yes Mike you are dead right, serves me for not checking my Ramsay's   I was confusing the Black 5 with the Princess/Duchess/Spamcan/rebuilt MN all of which first received DCC-ready sockets in 2005-on.

Makes those cheap weathered 44781/44762s all the more appealing, at £60-ish.

What worries me a little is that I see a lot of mint boxed s/h Hornby and Bachmann 00 steam models selling for auction here in NZ for under £50... well, not a lot, but certainly those with the time and inclination can find them at these lowish prices.  It makes you wonder about the future of new models excellent though they may be at £150+.

Two examples of cheap models, R2221 'Tangmere' boxed, 34067 mint usual bent/missing lamp tags at front no bids at £40 so far, 21 watchers  and a Bachmann Standard 5MT 73030 mint unmarked faded worn box same £40 no bids so far, I think either may go for a fraction more, maybe there are simply more available these days than buyers, witness Hornby superb B17s...

On the subject of Duchesses, and I mention this only because its a madly diverse thread, I received the RCTS book by Jennison on the Stanier Pacifics which is quite good, a bit jumbled in arrangement of content (IMHO) and it was well-packed by the sellers Booklaw, and mine is a bit warped and pages are rippled somewhat due perhaps to dampness during production (I have a good friend who was for many years a successful print broker), as well as poor binding etc., so I told Booklaw, and to my surprise they have asked for photographic evidence.  

Would you accept a £27.50 hardcover new book like this?

post-7929-0-22118400-1512253899_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-87035300-1512253931_thumb.jpg

One doesn't normally notice it, albeit it detracts greatly from the pleasure of the book,  but one asks how many people could possibly photograph such an error in production an/or handling?  Shades of faults in models!

It's the first shoddy book I've had for ages and I buy heaps via Amazon UK and associated UK s/h booksellers with no problems ever in quality and handling..

Oh and I did a new pic of 46227.. LMS black BR numbers as per Rails, runs beautifully.

post-7929-0-09581500-1512254245_thumb.jpg

Being in 1948 the track is slightly more accurate!   

Cheers,

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Yes Mike you are dead right, serves me for not checking my Ramsay's   I was confusing the Black 5 with the Princess/Duchess/Spamcan/rebuilt MN all of which first received DCC-ready sockets in 2005-on.

Makes those cheap weathered 44781/44762s all the more appealing, at £60-ish.

What worries me a little is that I see a lot of mint boxed s/h Hornby and Bachmann 00 steam models selling for auction here in NZ for under £50... well, not a lot, but certainly those with the time and inclination can find them at these lowish prices.  It makes you wonder about the future of new models excellent though they may be at £150+.

Two examples of cheap models, R2221 'Tangmere' boxed, 34067 mint usual bent/missing lamp tags at front no bids at £40 so far, 21 watchers  and a Bachmann Standard 5MT 73030 mint unmarked faded worn box same £40 no bids so far, I think either may go for a fraction more, maybe there are simply more available these days than buyers, witness Hornby superb B17s...

On the subject of Duchesses, and I mention this only because its a madly diverse thread, I received the RCTS book by Jennison on the Stanier Pacifics which is quite good, a bit jumbled in arrangement of content (IMHO) and it was well-packed by the sellers Booklaw, and mine is a bit warped and pages are rippled somewhat due perhaps to dampness during production (I have a good friend who was for many years a successful print broker), as well as poor binding etc., so I told Booklaw, and to my surprise they have asked for photographic evidence.  

Would you accept a £27.50 hardcover new book like this?

attachicon.gifImg_8503a_stanier_book2_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gifImg_8505a_stanier_book3_r1200.jpg

One doesn't normally notice it, albeit it detracts greatly from the pleasure of the book,  but one asks how many people could possibly photograph such an error in production an/or handling?  Shades of faults in models!

It's the first shoddy book I've had for ages and I buy heaps via Amazon UK and associated UK s/h booksellers with no problems ever in quality and handling..

Oh and I did a new pic of 46227.. LMS black BR numbers as per Rails, runs beautifully.

attachicon.gif46229_Duchess_grade_portait10_2abcd_r1200.jpg

Being in 1948 the track is slightly more accurate!   

Cheers,

That book makes my second-hand copy of Profile of the Duchesses look brand-new and a bargain @ £2.00..

• Like 1

As a young bloke I used to be into Scalextric, I got My first set for my 10th birthday, a "Grand Prix 8" in 1977 with a couple pf pretty basic Shadow F1 cars.

Over the years i have maintained a bit of an Interest in it.

Modern Scalextric cars (like Hornby Trains) have also evolved from basic toys to collector quality models with lots of detail (and an army of critics that will savage the makers at the slightest hint of inaccuracy - sounds familiar)

Anyway from time to time Scalextric make something that catches My eye so I buy one and pop in into the display cabinet.

This is the latest one I fancy, so the wife has ordered one for Me for Xmas.

post-23233-0-70530900-1512276439.jpg

Graham Hill Lotus 49c, in gold leaf livery (the presence of tobacco signage obviously puts this out of the realm of kids and firmly into adult land)

Lots of detail on this, I'm not sure what the outcome would be if it was actually used as a Slotcar and had a decent prang

Seeing as Hornby own Scalextric I thought it fits into the spirit of the topic and You chaps might like a look.

post-23233-0-70530900-1512276439.jpg

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 2

That book makes my second-hand copy of Profile of the Duchesses look brand-new and a bargain @ £2.00..

I just bought one for myself...   £2.53 + £3 p+p  I expct to see it before the end of the decade..   :)

update,

Immediately upon receiving photos (mentioned here a couple of messages ago)  of the warped Jennison book on Staniers,  Booklaw said they couldn't understand how it happened and are sending me another copy, so that's good, and excellent service.

• Like 1

Bulleid minefield .. beware

I was feeling pretty pleased with myself this morning when I bought a 21C103 Light Pacific 'Exeter' in original SR colours... tidy name/number, change... some details added.

(seller's photo saved from death by me, edited a bit)

post-7929-0-22499900-1512342540_thumb.jpg

Then I remembered wedge-shaped cab...  uh oh...

Ah well..

no, I won't cut the cab off a recent MN...21C1    :)

out of interest, the probable (possible anyway?) donor was a 21C123 'Blackmore Vale'  and I notice the inside of the valance appears not to be actually painted black, but is a black plastic moulding, where some recent models have had these valances done in green.

and those look like the short version valances too...  details, details!   I might buy a GWR 3700 class to truly fix the Duchess-mania I have been suffering.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Bulleid minefield .. beware

I was feeling pretty pleased with myself this morning when I bought a 21C103 Light Pacific 'Exeter' in original SR colours... tidy name/number, change... some details added.

(seller's photo saved from death by me, edited a bit)

attachicon.gif21C103_Bulleid_2a_r1200.jpg

Then I remembered wedge-shaped cab...  uh oh...

Ah well..

no, I won't cut the cab off a recent MN...21C1    :)

out of interest, the probable (possible anyway?) donor was a 21C123 'Blackmore Vale'  and I notice the inside of the valance appears not to be actually painted black, but is a black plastic moulding, where some recent models have had these valances done in green.

and those look like the short version valances too...  details, details!   I might buy a GWR 3700 class to truly fix the Duchess-mania I have been suffering.

Looks like a Blackmore Vale as it's the only Air-smoothed they've done with short deflectors.

Please supply the address of the seller to your local MiM rep (in your case, I believe it's next doors cat) and he will be re-educated  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Looks like a Blackmore Vale as it's the only Air-smoothed they've done with short deflectors.

Please supply the address of the seller to your local MiM rep (in your case, I believe it's next doors cat) and he will be re-educated  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

The MiM rep hasn't been seen this morning, there were sounds of cats last night with feline bodies hitting walls with loud snarls and crashes, some kind of civilised territorial convesation going on I believe.

Either that or I am being shunned because I bought a GWR loco yesterday... a black frame 3433 'City of Bath' as an antidote to 21C103.

Out of interest, did all Southern Railway light Pacifics receive short deflectors at first, or just some?

The MiM rep hasn't been seen this morning, there were sounds of cats last night with feline bodies hitting walls with loud snarls and crashes, some kind of civilised territorial convesation going on I believe.

Either that or I am being shunned because I bought a GWR loco yesterday... a black frame 3433 'City of Bath' as an antidote to 21C103.

Out of interest, did all Southern Railway light Pacifics receive short deflectors at first, or just some?

From memory, the first locomotives were fitted with the smaller ones, and later on they were retrofitted with slightly longer versions, and in prior to nationalisation some were fitted with longer smoke deflectors, one famous example being 34006 Bude. I have a Hornby model of this train and it runs really well. One of favourite models I own...

• Like 1

From memory, the first locomotives were fitted with the smaller ones, and later on they were retrofitted with slightly longer versions, and in prior to nationalisation some were fitted with longer smoke deflectors, one famous example being 34006 Bude. I have a Hornby model of this train and it runs really well. One of favourite models I own...

Short deflectors on engine 21C155 in 1947, also 21C141 in 1947   by 1948 most or all were 'normal' length by my cursory glances at Irwell...  

• RMweb Gold

Oops... the following meme has been passed on to me, by the Grand Inquisitor himself  :O  :O

post-7000-0-49995500-1512420707.jpg

• Like 1

Water off a duck's back to we who have THE POWER OF SWINDON !!!

post-7929-0-26103800-1512421540_thumb.jpg

backed-up by the absolute last word in steam technology, the GWR steam machine with automatic steam-actuated sliding-valve inverted-parabola timing actuation, as well as bluetooth....  AND connectivity...

post-7929-0-68145300-1512421689_thumb.jpg

I do hope James that your car has connectivity, I wouldn't be seen dead in a car without it. My 1986 Jaguar 3.6 had Lucas connectivity, otherwise known as 'intermittent', engine operating computer operating at 8MHz.   If it detected excessive resistance in any circuit anywhere in the car, a screen would light up with the word 'ERROR'  all over it.  But that's another story...

Cheers

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Water off a duck's back to we who have THE POWER OF SWINDON !!!

attachicon.gif4061_Star_S15_side_1abcdef_r1200.jpg

backed-up by the absolute last word in steam technology, the GWR steam machine with automatic steam-actuated sliding-valve inverted-parabola timing actuation, as well as bluetooth....  AND connectivity...

attachicon.gif3433_3700_GWR_portrait1_1a_r1200.jpg

I do hope James that your car has connectivity, I wouldn't be seen dead in a car without it. My 1986 Jaguar 3.6 had Lucas connectivity, otherwise known as 'intermittent', engine operating computer operating at 8MHz.   If it detected excessive resistance in any circuit anywhere in the car, a screen would light up with the word 'ERROR'  all over it.  But that's another story...

Cheers

My Jag (XJ8) and Rover (75) have more than enough computing power to reach interstellar space (though not the nuclear power source). Aside from the errant electrical gremlin - battery not charging on the Jag (when it is - dry joint on the dash circuit board) and a misbehaving air recirculation valve on the Rover (sticking due lack of use)

The word ERROR is irrelevant....

... the MiM will Assimilate you, resistance is futile, you Will become one with the MiM....

(Definitely watching too much Star Trek at the moment... Oops)

• Like 1

My Jag (XJ8) and Rover (75) have more than enough computing power to reach interstellar space (though not the nuclear power source). Aside from the errant electrical gremlin - battery not charging on the Jag (when it is - dry joint on the dash circuit board) and a misbehaving air recirculation valve on the Rover (sticking due lack of use)

... the MiM will Assimilate you, resistance is futile, you Will become one with the MiM....

You do realise that those who created Star Trek come from a place where engines such as City of Truro were supplanted by the engine below, which I am expecting Hornby to produce any day now..

Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range RR 2-8-8-4...  these lasted until 1960-ish. Graceful machines.  Let the MiM deal with that...

post-7929-0-49467700-1512449283_thumb.jpg

edit; pretty much the same as a GWR 3700 design, coal and water behind cab, firebox and boiler a little larger, a few more wheels, sanding to all drivers, same gauge.... nothing different really, except the DMIR Yellowstone could pull 12,000 tons up a 1-in-100 grade,  and the GWR 3700 reached the ton... once...   downhill.   Possibly...

Actually Hornby Rivarossi have made an even more powerful US engine, the C & O H8 2-6-6-6, so maybe they don't need more adventures in that area.  

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

Just to keep thread drift alive, my 1986 XJ40 3.6 was a brilliant car, best in many way I've owned (various Mk1 3.4s,  1963 3.8 Mk10, 1973 Series 1 4.2 XJ6, ) having spent its life mostly on NZ sealed rural South Island roads in the days before tourist in campervans (many who drive on the wrong side of the road, or are Asians who have never experienced narrow sealed 2-lane open roads at all),  and I sold it not because it was in any way unreliable, but it was approaching 200,000kms and I didn't fancy any impending repairs, obscure electrical bits being the most likely issues...

• Like 1

Back almost to Hornby (choke, gasp)  with an engine around when William Stanier was at Swindon..  so it's almost about Hornby Duchesses.. .

post-7929-0-75553900-1512530567_thumb.jpg

Stanier was in charge of supervision of the construction of the Star class 1906-8...   the 3700 class 4-4-0 in the above pic has sanders, top feed and superheater might be nearer 1914 or even 1921 not sure of livery, but number changed from 3433 to 3710 in 1912, I think.

Fear not, I have a Bulleid to photograph tomorrow, an original Light Pacific 1945 built 21C103 'Plymouth', so all is not lost.... :)  

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

You do realise that those who created Star Trek come from a place where engines such as City of Truro were supplanted by the engine below, which I am expecting Hornby to produce any day now..

Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range RR 2-8-8-4...  these lasted until 1960-ish. Graceful machines.  Let the MiM deal with that...

attachicon.gifYellowstone_DMIR_2-8-8-4_portrait10_6abcde_full_r1200.jpg

edit; pretty much the same as a GWR 3700 design, coal and water behind cab, firebox and boiler a little larger, a few more wheels, sanding to all drivers, same gauge.... nothing different really, except the DMIR Yellowstone could pull 12,000 tons up a 1-in-100 grade,  and the GWR 3700 reached the ton... once...   downhill.   Possibly...

Actually Hornby Rivarossi have made an even more powerful US engine, the C & O H8 2-6-6-6, so maybe they don't need more adventures in that area.  

It looks like it's been assimilated by the Borg  :jester:

Just to keep thread drift alive, my 1986 XJ40 3.6 was a brilliant car, best in many way I've owned (various Mk1 3.4s,  1963 3.8 Mk10, 1973 Series 1 4.2 XJ6, ) having spent its life mostly on NZ sealed rural South Island roads in the days before tourist in campervans (many who drive on the wrong side of the road, or are Asians who have never experienced narrow sealed 2-lane open roads at all),  and I sold it not because it was in any way unreliable, but it was approaching 200,000kms and I didn't fancy any impending repairs, obscure electrical bits being the most likely issues...

200,000km (120,000 miles) is barely run in on a XJ40  :jester: - there's still a few 3.6's about (though the up-rated 4.0 6 cylinder ones are more desirable) and parts (even obscure ones) are readily available for the older Jags - unless you have a XJS V-12 Convertible and the cold crank sensor goes (a trip to a Ferrari dealership beckons for that one). I everyone I know who had a XJ40 regretted getting rid of it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

i Congratulate you gentlemen and will be perusing the 2018 “ Guiness book of records “ for “ largest thread drift in an online forum “ ;)

Well we cover trains (Hornby* mostly ), planes (Airfix** and the real thing :jester:  ), automobiles ( the real thing and Scalextric**), the odd sheep and we may end up - a long time ago, in a Galaxy far far away occasionally - but that's as far as it goes...

Sanity will be restored shortly. as I have a number of Hornby's Best Ever on the workbench as I type and if anyone has a copy of Irwell Presses: The Book of the Britannia Pacific's handy - could you kindly let me know when 70051 Firth of the Forth got her late crests  :onthequiet: (I've finally acquired this tome, but I am awaiting it's arrival)

* Though I think Rob needs an extended therapy session with the MiM over his illogical obsession with American Locos..

**Last time I looked both Airfix and Scalextric are still part of Hornby Hobbies..

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

Spoilers...

A tender-less 35024 East Asiatic Company

post-7000-0-63661100-1512586849_thumb.jpg

An as yet unnamed N15 'King Arthur Class' (I know the name and number and it will be the 24th one I've done)

post-7000-0-58780100-1512586858_thumb.jpg

Deja-vu, 2 years after I built the 1/72nd scale version...

post-7000-0-53224200-1512586867_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Well we cover trains (Hornby* mostly ), planes (Airfix** and the real thing :jester:  ), automobiles ( the real thing and Scalextric**), the odd sheep and we may end up - a long time ago, in a Galaxy far far away occasionally - but that's as far as it goes...

Sanity will be restored shortly. as I have a number of Hornby's Best Ever on the workbench as I type and if anyone has a copy of Irwell Presses: The Book of the Britannia Pacific's handy - could you kindly let me know when 70051 Firth of the Forth got her late crests  :onthequiet: (I've finally acquired this tome, but I am awaiting it's arrival)

* Though I think Rob needs an extended therapy session with the MiM over his illogical obsession with American Locos..

**Last time I looked both Airfix and Scalextric are still part of Hornby Hobbies..

I have been photographing a malachite apparition just now, I think it is something by Bulleid. The MiM will be assuaged. Either that or I go down in a screaming heap....

From Irwell 'book of' 70051 got an NC 'tender only' o/haul at St Rollox 8/57, a GO at Crewe incl. new boiler 5/58,  and a LC at Crewe 12/58, and another LC at Crewe 8/59, then a NC(EO) (engine order) at Cowlairs 2/60   so take your pic as to when it got a late crest.  <g>  I guess photos are the better option.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

I have been photographing a malachite apparition just now, I think it is something by Bulleid. The MiM will be assuaged. Either that or I go down in a screaming heap....

From Irwell 'book of' 70051 got an NC 'tender only' o/haul at St Rollox 8/57, a GO at Crewe incl. new boiler 5/58,  and a LC at Crewe 12/58, and another LC at Crewe 8/59, then a NC(EO) (engine order) at Cowlairs 2/60   so take your pic as to when it got a late crest.  <g>  I guess photos are the better option.

The second LC is probably the right-handed (non-heraldic) being replaced with a left-handed one in 1959. Firth of Forth didn't receive AWS till 63, so I now have the option of changing the crest with the 'donor' I have acquired ;)

Not often seen, this 6803 'Bucklebury Grange', a moderately limited-run production of 200 according to the box, celebrating the 1st birthday of Prince George. I think 500 were produced, 200 with a special box for Harrods.. box code is REF  R3298

Silver Sidelines of this parish has written a bit about the errors, trials and tribulations of this model, slightly different from the original SK models in detail and possibly quality control...

Hopefully this will show that we take thread integrity very seriously indeed around here.  Not. 

post-7929-0-01501800-1512697268_thumb.jpg

The picture is unadulterated too, showing that we I fear the ire of Swindon aconites ...

• Like 2