Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon, a box of photo printer inks fell from the top shelf over my computer desk. It fell 2 1/2 ft onto another shelf, very narrowly missing 2 Hornby A1 pacific bodies (railroad Tornado) that I'd fitted new handrails, smoke box dart, repainted, lined , renamed etc to retro them back to BR Peppercorn pacifics.  Phew.  :O

An Oxford diecast tram took the full force of the impact and seems to have survived well. Couple of days ago the box would have totally demolished a nearly completed Airfix Supermarine Walrus, fortunately I'd moved that to a more sensible place.

Would that be their award winning 1/48th Scale Supermarine Walrus?

Photo's please.

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, there's a bit of a GWR theme going on here ...

A bargain Castle Class - 5075 Wellington will become 5077 Fairey Battle

post-7000-0-69350900-1520376242_thumb.jpg

And new Grange Class with a Churchward Tender - 6825 Llanvair Grange that will become????

post-7000-0-33985600-1520374666_thumb.jpg

Oh and plus a small update on the Sea Fury...

post-7000-0-41027100-1520374695_thumb.jpg

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 4

Would that be their award winning 1/48th Scale Supermarine Walrus?

Photo's please.

Sadly it's a 1:72 version which is quite an old kit now. Been in the cupboard for quite a while but slow progress has been going on. However, when I've finished masking and painting the canopy framing and found missing part  #34 to attach the prop, I will photograph it. I have seen the 1:48 one, very good mouldings as current Airfix are.

Oh dear, there's a bit of a GWR theme going on here ...

A bargain Castle Class - 5075 Wellington will become 5077 Fairey Battle

attachicon.gifwellington_rh.jpg

And new Grange Class with a Churchward Tender - 6825 Llanvair Grange that will become????

attachicon.gif6825_lh.jpg

Oh and plus a small update on the Sea Fury...

attachicon.gifSeaFury_13.jpg

Grange looks good, hadn't realised it was now released, thought there was a while to go.  How does it compare with earlier versions?

• RMweb Gold

Grange looks good, hadn't realised it was now released, thought there was a while to go.  How does it compare with earlier versions?

Quite well, only niggle I had with mine is the missing lubricator (see the thread on the Grange). She runs smoothly too and although is not clear in the photo, the green seems a better shade in my opinion.

Quite well, only niggle I had with mine is the missing lubricator (see the thread on the Grange). She runs smoothly too and although is not clear in the photo, the green seems a better shade in my opinion.

Thanks, the Grange I want to rename to  is BR l/e with small tender, so the new Hornby  one looks just the job. I've got a black grange with large tender, which runs very smoothly so if new one runs  well looks like this is the one to get.  Glad to hear green colour is good.

• RMweb Gold

I'd quite like another Grange with GWR on the tender, 6813 Eastbury Grange perhaps but then I see the price Hornby are asking. :O 

• RMweb Gold

I'd quite like another Grange with GWR on the tender, 6813 Eastbury Grange perhaps but then I see the price Hornby are asking. :O

They're much cheaper elsewhere Robin or be patient and wait till they start turning up cheap at certain Box-shifters or on Ebay ;)

Mine will become 6814 at some point..

In the meantime and continuing the Western Region/ GWR theme - both not Hornby, something completely different (for me) and a victim waiting for surgery ;)

Heljan's superb Class 128 - in Blue...

post-7000-0-44102300-1520533174_thumb.jpg

(Quite possibly it would leave a hole in the floor if dropped out of the loft)

And this exquisite machine arrived from ANTB for tweaking and a light dirtying ;)

post-7000-0-07827100-1520533603_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Speaking of prices have you seen the asking on Britannias on Ebay lately?

A 70030 Wordsworth just went for about eighty quid with crushed cab rear and steps missing, and tidy post-2006 versions seem rather expensive, nothing I saw in a quick look at under UKP120.

One seller wants UKP299 for yer basic Brit.  Presumably there are buyers out there.  

oh, and p.s. I include the Brit as being in the 'best ever' stakes, here is my 70030

edited 

post-7929-0-13711200-1520817480_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A Q6 quite possibly ready for withdrawal..

post-7000-0-41325200-1520881681_thumb.jpg

Some adjustments made the 1361 Class, now ready for a light dusting of dirt.

post-7000-0-24851500-1520881706_thumb.jpg

And this wing beastie arrived in the post:

post-7000-0-45769500-1520881716_thumb.jpg

The Warbirds are on the back burner as I have number of locos to do...

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 2

A Q6 quite possibly ready for withdrawal..

63443_rh.jpg

Some adjustments made the 1361 Class, now ready for a light dusting of dirt.

1363_inWorks1.jpg

I like the great look of the Q6, nice and dirty. What adjustments did you make to the 1361 ?

Regards, Chris

• RMweb Gold

I like the great look of the Q6, nice and dirty. What adjustments did you make to the 1361 ?

Regards, Chris

Remove slightly oversize Shirtbutton Logo's and reposition.

Remove wrong size buffer beam numbers (under-scale) and apply correct size - which then shows the steam pipes aren't in the right locations either (a tooling compromise, due to numerous detail differences between the class)

• RMweb Gold

As there's a lot of GWR loco's on the workbench at the moment here's something Big Green and Powerful from the Eastern Region...

And with the longest set of etched Nameplates I've fitted (so far)

So far.  ;)

post-126-0-19347000-1520968569_thumb.jpg

Although few would judge the Hornby Black 5 as a 'best' model by Hornby I think it is very good.

I might be unusual for this forum but don't greatly care about the tender chassis thing, nor the under smokebox thing, the front wheels are basic but could be easily changed,and the range of boilers and domes and chimneys is covered accurately.  Importantly, I have owned and still own several and they are all sweet runners.

Just bought a s/h factory-weathered 44666 and it was well under £100 and mint, the smokebox dart fell out in travel but miracle of miracles went back in with light finger pressure, probably only stays in by the will of the gods....   I like the absence of satan's plug, the cab detail and fall plate and it has a nice engine-tender gap for type 2 curves, and appearance... all straight from the box, and later models have the front sand pipes factory-fitted too.  Full detail pack was included etc.

All in all a good product.

post-7929-0-67403600-1520978988_thumb.jpg

Just thought I'd mention this in the light of the propensity of this and other forums to highlight errors and failures.

(I opened a GWR green 2013 R3217 model 72XX yesterday and it is dimensionally good, looks great, runs smoothly and quietly, after resetting a piston crossbar properly into its slidebars, it hadn't been assembled correctly in the factory by the look of it). 

It's my growing feeling that quality control has not yet regained what it had before about 2011, and there is good value to be had second-hand.

edit.  p.s. the valve gear eccentrics are correctly oriented on both sides of this model.   Don't see that very often! :)

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Although few would judge the Hornby Black 5 as a 'best' model by Hornby I think it is very good.

I might be unusual for this forum but don't greatly care about the tender chassis thing, nor the under smokebox thing, the front wheels are basic but could be easily changed,and the range of boilers and domes and chimneys is covered accurately.  Importantly, I have owned and still own several and they are all sweet runners.

Just bought a s/h factory-weathered 44666 and it was well under £100 and mint, the smokebox dart fell out in travel but miracle of miracles went back in with light finger pressure, probably only stays in by the will of the gods....   I like the absence of satan's plug, the cab detail and fall plate and it has a nice engine-tender gap for type 2 curves, and appearance... all straight from the box, and later models have the front sand pipes factory-fitted too.  Full detail pack was included etc.

All in all a good product.

attachicon.gifImg_9150abc_r1200a.jpg

Just thought I'd mention this in the light of the propensity of this and other forums to highlight errors and failures.

(I opened a GWR green 2013 R3217 model 72XX yesterday and it is dimensionally good, looks great, runs smoothly and quietly, after resetting a piston crossbar properly into its slidebars, it hadn't been assembled correctly in the factory by the look of it). 

It's my growing feeling that quality control has not yet regained what it had before about 2011, and there is good value to be had second-hand.

edit.  p.s. the valve gear eccentrics are correctly oriented on both sides of this model.   Don't see that very often! :)

If you saw my current to do list, it's heavily Hornby (with the occasional Heljan & Bachmann cameo) and quite a number of those were bargains.

72xx's, I have one currently on my workbench and it's my Nemesis - this one doesn't like me on bit. It's Khan Noonien Singh to my Admiral Kirk and we're circling each other in the Mutara Nebula - where sensors won't function and shields will be useless...

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

72xx's, I have one currently on my workbench and it's my Nemesis - this one doesn't like me on bit. It's Khan Noonien Singh to my Admiral Kirk and we're circling each other in the Mutara Nebula - where sensors won't function and shields will be useless...

It's trying to Klingon to its identity. :jester: 

Here you go then guv'nor, a great model made even better by who else but toboldlygo himself,  take a bow sir, if you can ignore for the moment that passing piece of history, great British locomotive design.... 

post-7929-0-36267100-1521667476_thumb.jpg

70042 'Lord Roberts' passing Thankerton, just south of Carstairs, on a Glasgow-Carlisle turn, c1966.

edited

cheers

p.s. I was curious to see which in any other Britannias in the 70000-70045 series kept their original deflector handrails to the bitter end, and they were very few, after a quick glance at 'The Book of...' by Irwell. Certainly the Carlisle-based engines, which was a majority of them.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

If you saw my current to do list, it's heavily Hornby (with the occasional Heljan & Bachmann cameo) and quite a number of those were bargains.

post-8937-0-84008600-1521727922.gif

"72XX!!!!!!"

Well this thread can come to a close now and all the 4-6-2s and GWR thingies can be put back in the shed, I have found Hornby's best ever model! :P

Seriously, I don't know what was wrong with the older batches but this one runs magnificently. It looks beautiful and I am totally besotted with it.

post-29051-0-92951700-1521813270_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thread title's plural Chief, and don't go putting two pictures of the same thing up neither!

(personally I'd've done with a Cl.60 and a Britannia, but Rob's pictures are excellent so I'll indulge a while longer!)

C6T.