Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Have you no respect, sir?   I find 8Fs boring.    This cannot be allowed to continue.  I intend to complain to the relevant authorities.

You know you want one  :jester:  :jester:

Which authorities - they all have members of the MiM working in them.. ..oops  :sungum:  :sungum:

You know you want one  :jester:  :jester:

Which authorities - they all have members of the MiM working in them.. ..oops  :sungum:  :sungum:

I just bought a mint Bachmann 'Evening Star' at auction, being the only bidder, my crimes are too many to list, the MiM will undoubtedly fail, arguing amongst themselves over whether rack or the 4-horses or the boiling oil is the more suitable.

• RMweb Gold

I just bought a mint Bachmann 'Evening Star' at auction, being the only bidder, my crimes are too many to list, the MiM will undoubtedly fail, arguing amongst themselves over whether rack or the 4-horses or the boiling oil is the more suitable.

They never argue they are far to organized for that  :jester:  :jester:

They'll give you a lengthy questionnaire and medical assessment*, before deciding what treatment will be best for you**

*Must be alive basically..

**All are wheelchair friendly - including a lift into the oil bath, a hoist for the Air-Smoother and a nice access ramp for the 'IRON BULLEID'  :onthequiet:

• Like 1

I was looking through some older photos of Hornby 'green' engines and came across this of 34078 '222 Squadron' in deepest Kent c1958.

I don't recall even messing with the green, at all.

34078 built in 7/1948 withdrawn in 9/1964 after a few years at Exmouth Junction. Never rebuilt, it never got a cut-down tender either, according to Irwell.  This pic is part of the MiM medication to remove all traces of 47XX from my brain.

post-7929-0-26229300-1524106582_thumb.jpg

cheers

• Like 4

Am I too fussy?  Just carefully removed Rails' heavily weathered limited edition Black 5 45000 and noticed it didn't have a lamp holder on the smokebox, it has a rectangular hole for one in the late-BR position, no sign of anything in the packaging, have looked eveywhere, but it looks like it wasn't there when weathered. Some weathering missed out on the lower smokebox, too, not from packaging.

After receiving two damaged Heljan 47XXs I thought, 'at last, a basic Hornby model, old tooling,  no problems', but the front looks wrong without the lamp holder.

Should I package this one up and return it ?     Can I find a lamp holder which would press-fit?

I am seriously disillusioned with new model purchases, except some Bachmann models maybe.

Or am I expecting too much?

post-7929-0-59186100-1524110323_thumb.jpg

edit; actually there is so much wrong with the model, front wheels, under-smokebox bodywork, general detail around cylinders, as designed that the missing lamp holder is minor, just a bit disapponting,  I'll have to take stock of myself!  It still looks pretty good.  And I'll make it better by some means or other.

For any who may be interested here is my office.

post-7929-0-75344700-1524119448_thumb.jpg

cheers   

p.s. will the new Lord Nelson look as good as this?

post-7929-0-15267200-1524119730_thumb.jpg

and before I sign off for the night, we must thank Hornby for these.... 44731 and 46103 disturbing the dead on a cold night at Preston c1961.

post-7929-0-81573600-1524120019_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

Larry, did you reline it as well, or mask the lining carefully and just redo the paint?  Tks

Sorry I'm late back on this. I don't often look in on this thread. Yes, I gave it a full paint & line job, something I do routinely to all my green locos. Having said that, the very latest BR livery 'Llanvair Grange' with small Churchward Tender came with a darker green and lining, which I can live with. I was a full-time model painter for over 40 years and I avoid the game as much as possible nowadays.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Am I too fussy?  Just carefully removed Rails' heavily weathered limited edition Black 5 45000 and noticed it didn't have a lamp holder on the smokebox, it has a rectangular hole for one in the late-BR position, no sign of anything in the packaging, have looked eveywhere, but it looks like it wasn't there when weathered. Some weathering missed out on the lower smokebox, too, not from packaging.

After receiving two damaged Heljan 47XXs I thought, 'at last, a basic Hornby model, old tooling,  no problems', but the front looks wrong without the lamp holder.

Should I package this one up and return it ?     Can I find a lamp holder which would press-fit?

I am seriously disillusioned with new model purchases, except some Bachmann models maybe.

attachicon.gifImg_9524a_r1200abc.jpg

edit; actually there is so much wrong with the model, front wheels, under-smokebox bodywork, general detail around cylinders, as designed that the missing lamp holder is minor, just a bit disapponting,  I'll have to take stock of myself!  It still looks pretty good.  And I'll make it better by some means or other.

attachicon.gifRobbie_2016_Img_1281ab1_r1200.jpg

cheers   

attachicon.gifSR_Excalibur_N15_Bournemouth_Express_2ab_r1200.jpg

and before I sign off for the night, we must thank Hornby for these.... 44731 and 46103 disturbing the dead on a cold night at Preston c1961.

attachicon.gif5MT_44831_7P_46103_wet_night_at_Preston_7ab_r1200ab.jpg

Rob, I have never looked at this part of this thread so have not seen your work until now. Bl##dy superb stuff; truly magnificent weathering.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I've found paper staples a useful source to make lamp brackets from they also fit the rectangular hole without having to enlarge it.

I've found paper staples a useful source to make lamp brackets from they also fit the rectangular hole without having to enlarge it.

Ah, I knew there was something in everyday use like that, I even used to have a stapler and some staples, but I imagine a pack of 100 won't destroy the bank balance!  Thanks.  

I could have glued a lamp bracket there, but it's far too much like actual modelling.

Edited by robmcg

I take back what I said about only buying Bachmann models, I only expect to live another 20 or so years, and I would like to see some new ones. :)

Also I am now curious about the new Lord Nelson, the blue Merchant Navy, and a possible D type in conjunction with Locomotion, or something like that.

Now the initial disappointment with Heljan 47XXs is over I think they are marvellous!

Who, me?   Manic?   Never!!!

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifImg_9524a_r1200abc.jpg

attachicon.gifRobbie_2016_Img_1281ab1_r1200.jpg

cheers   

attachicon.gifSR_Excalibur_N15_Bournemouth_Express_2ab_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gif5MT_44831_7P_46103_wet_night_at_Preston_7ab_r1200ab.jpg

I might be mistaken but i think 45000 is weathered by Rails rather than Hornby. If that  true its Rails that have weathered an incomplete model rather than Hornby. Cold comfort I know, 

Your office is so much tidier than mine! My wife can hardly bring herself to look in  - its that messy and disorganised.

Love the last picture especially - for me the Scot and Patriot are right up there with Hornby's best - especially if you ignore the tender! :)

I might be mistaken but i think 45000 is weathered by Rails rather than Hornby. If that  true its Rails that have weathered an incomplete model rather than Hornby. Cold comfort I know, 

Your office is so much tidier than mine! My wife can hardly bring herself to look in  - its that messy and disorganised.

Love the last picture especially - for me the Scot and Patriot are right up there with Hornby's best - especially if you ignore the tender! :)

Thanks Mike, yes it was weathered by Rails.

I followed toboldlygo's suggestion and used a staple to make a lamp bracket, it worked brilliantly, the small rectangular hole is really beyond my vision to locate easily by eye but it worked by presenting a suitably bent staple (with the 90 deg bend untouched of course) to the hole and it went in 'by feel' as well as eyesight.  To my horror when I tipped the engine forward to ensure it wasn't going to fall out both the smokebox darts and the vacuum pipe literally fell off, onto a work tray.  sigh

post-7929-0-45255700-1524345118_thumb.jpg

I can see the darts still have a mounting shaft, I can see the hole, but no way can I think of allows me to present the two together.

On a good day I see these things as a mild challenge, but on a bad day I think I am out of my depth and in the wrong hobby.

edit; the vac pipe went back on without glue and stays put with prayer only, I might be brave and brush the pin with glue someday when I'm feeling wildly adventurous, but the darts I think will have wait until someone with better eyesight and two hands has a look at it.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike,

I followed toboldlygo's suggestion and used a staple to make a lamp bracket, it worked brilliantly, the small rectangular hole is really beyond my vision to locate easily by eye but it worked by presenting a suitably bent staple (with the 90 deg bend untouched of course) to the hole and it went in 'by feel' as well as eyesight.  To my horror when I tipped the engine forward to ensure it wasn't going to fall out both the smokebox darts and the vacuum pipe literally fell off, onto a work tray.  sigh

attachicon.gifImg_1757a_1200a.jpg

I can see the darts still have a mounting shaft, I can see the hole, but no way can I think of allows me to present the two together.

On a good day I see these things as a mild challenge, but on a bad day I think I am out of my depth and in the wrong hobby.

A cocktail stick with some blu-tack on the end - my weapon of choice when it comes to etched shed code/ smoke box number plates and small items that fall off ;)

A cocktail stick with some blu-tack on the end - my weapon of choice when it comes to etched shed code/ smoke box number plates and small items that fall off ;)

It's people like you who give me hope for the future of mankind.   Seriously.  Thanks.

Gentlemen, choose your weapons. 

post-7929-0-78426000-1524347758_thumb.jpg

(I know it's a little over the top to show this attempt to (simple?) repair a Hornby smokebox front but it is such common issue that a success would bring great comfort to me and I suspect some others)  

edit. p.s. note the Bachmann BR green in the background.   How can that be so difficult for Hornby?

edit2,   at risk of over-doing the anguish , which I exhibited by the spadeful in repairing my two Heljan 47XXs, I have reached this point, below, of TOTAL failure.

I can set things up with blu-tak and cocktail stick, I can even present the darts to the front, and have now attempted to enter that hole maybe fifteen times, but I simply do not have the fine touch I once had and it will not work.     I give up.  The vac pipe fell off again of course, I can replace that in its position ok, but the smokebox dart thing defeats me, I will have to either find someone with better touch.

post-7929-0-45567900-1524351548_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-27855200-1524351577_thumb.jpg

So near and yet so far!   

The big challenge is not finding the limit of what you can do, but accepting failure. To be honest I feel like throwing the d..m thing out the window, I am completely disillusioned now, I really don't need this pain and frustration. I'd better go and do something else, chronic difficulties and anguish is no way to live.  Even though my head says be rational and objective, get assisted vision, or accept help from someone  it just drives me mad.   

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1