• Please log in to reply
2170 replies to this topic

#2151 toboldlygo

toboldlygo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 22:27

edit. p.s. note the Bachmann BR green in the background.   How can that be so difficult for Hornby?

It probably isn't, it's the factories who manufacture the loco's for Hornby that don't listen (Refined in particular) 

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1

#2152 robmcg

robmcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 21 April 2018 - 23:09

toboldlygo you may wish to change your response after my edit, I am not happy,   but do thank you for your good ideas.

#2153 toboldlygo

toboldlygo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 23:18

toboldlygo you may wish to change your response after my edit, I am not happy,   but do thank you for your good ideas.

Go have a nice cup of tea/coffee/bottle of whisky and watch the local wildlife (sheep) for a bit and then come back to things.
  • Like x 1

#2154 robmcg

robmcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 21 April 2018 - 23:54

Go have a nice cup of tea/coffee/bottle of whisky and watch the local wildlife (sheep) for a bit and then come back to things.

Indeed.  It would have once been whisky, but these days a nice quiet cup of tea works better.  It's actually a perfect autumn day here, blue skies, calm, 15C, better to look at that than that bloody Black 5. I apologise for being so publically 'challenged' by what ought to be ordinary things. I don't know why I let it get me so down and fixated.

(I'd actually like to fixate the engine!  I'm feeling and acting like a kid who has just made a mess of a new model aircraft or similar)

edit same pics added here to avoid scrolling back to prev, page (on my browser settings at least)

Img_1765ab_r1200.jpg

Img_1764ab_r1200.jpg

Edited by robmcg, 22 April 2018 - 00:38 .

#2155 sandwich station

sandwich station

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 April 2018 - 00:02

Rob, a small pair of pliers might do the trick.

#2156 robmcg

robmcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 22 April 2018 - 00:43

In my forlorn and failure-wracked experience pliers result in the dart flying away to places unknown, possibly they enter another dimension, where the darts cannot be found on a clean tile floor (the same floor which causes a dropped model not simply to lose a part or two, but to explode)   but it might be worth a go.  I might even end up buying metal darts, but I'll try again after a rest.  Thanks. 

• Friendly/Supportive x 1
  • Like x 1

#2157 MikeParkin65

MikeParkin65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:43

In my forlorn and failure-wracked experience pliers result in the dart flying away to places unknown, possibly they enter another dimension, where the darts cannot be found on a clean tile floor (the same floor which causes a dropped model not simply to lose a part or two, but to explode)   but it might be worth a go.  I might even end up buying metal darts, but I'll try again after a rest.  Thanks. 

Really neat job with the lamp bracket. I personally agree that pliers or tweezers will just see the dart fed to the carpet monster. Been there, done that. I've got a Markits dart to add to a 5 I am detailing with the Brassmasters kit - that comes with a much longer mounting 'spear' so should be an easier fit. Downside is it comes in 3 parts so has to be assembled first. All of these jobs I can only do in broad daylight and in a calm mood!

• Thanks x 1
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#2158 sandwich station

sandwich station

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:57

Really neat job with the lamp bracket. I personally agree that pliers or tweezers will just see the dart fed to the carpet monster.

I'm talking of small jewellers pliers, way better that any pair of tweezers.
  • Thanks x 1

#2159 toboldlygo

toboldlygo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 13:35

Really neat job with the lamp bracket. I personally agree that pliers or tweezers will just see the dart fed to the carpet monster. Been there, done that. I've got a Markits dart to add to a 5 I am detailing with the Brassmasters kit - that comes with a much longer mounting 'spear' so should be an easier fit. Downside is it comes in 3 parts so has to be assembled first. All of these jobs I can only do in broad daylight and in a calm mood!

A cheat I (sometimes) use with aftermarket darts, if you have an existing hole (as shown on Rob's Black 5) is to find a similar sized drill to clean out the hole and make sure it goes all the way through the smoke box door.

Now here's the cheat instead of using the boss/spindle that come with handles - use a piece of wire the same diameter as the spindle and roughly an inch (25.4 mm) in length.

Thread the handles on nearly to halfway, dab some superglue to the wire at the halfway point and slide the handle over the glue, position them how you want them and allow to dry.

Trim the side of the wire that's going through the smoke box door down to about a quarter of an inch (6mm) and test fit - it may need slightly more trimming off so it doesn't touch anything inside and then glue into position.

Once the glue has cured properly, trim off the excess wire, paint - job done ;)

• Informative/Useful x 2

#2160 robmcg

robmcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 22 April 2018 - 20:09

OK folks, being a man not accustomed to failure, and seeing as how it is a beautiful morning here, rather cold but sun rising over the trees, I will do the following;

1/  Have one more attempt with steady hand and clear light (no, not the LSD type)  after a search for old reading glasses.

2/  Search for metal darts bought a year or two ago if 1/ fails.

3/ assess situation depending on 2/

4/ form a committee, pass the issue on to that, with cups of tea.

5/ Ask someone with fine touch and reading glasses to do the job

6/ Re-pack the engine in box as a repaired finished job or

7/  with darts taped to plastic for someone else to do 'as a challenge'.

8/ Write a report.  Have another cup of tea

9/ Photo-edit pictures with the engine with lamp holder onto the ones with a dart before it fell out.

10/ Write endless really boring stuff for RMweb, which would be a first for content here?

11/ Speculate on why the darts fell out anyway, I can only suggest that the engine was being held slightly below horizontal when I 'snapped' the paperclip extra length off when fitting the smokebox lamp holder, and the percussion of the 'snap' had an odd effect on the darts and front vac hose, which fell out  simultaneously, since I was not aware of touching either. I mean I might be mildly clumsy but I can easily place the darts on the blu-tak as per photos, and can do that degree of 'fine touch'. 

Onwards and upwards, with a strategic plan in place for going forward.....  :)

#2161 toboldlygo

toboldlygo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 20:31

Hey look over there Rob...

RATOG's anyone  :jester:  :jester:

Wyvern_08.jpg

#2162 robmcg

robmcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 22 April 2018 - 20:48

No problems with smokebox darts on that one then?  

I found a suitable Comet set, but they look too small for me to fit without issues, I'm scared even to open the pack.  I don't have small drill bits or a suitable drill so I'd have to get a pair of glasses and the appropriate tools to go in that direction.

As I understand it some people use vision hoods or something to do modelling in advanced years?  Not for me, at least in my current head-space. It's the lack of working right hand which truly affects my choices.   Just about to have one last attempt with left hand , perfect lighting on kitchen bench, what can possibly go wrong? 

Edited by robmcg, Yesterday, 00:26 .

#2163 toboldlygo

toboldlygo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 20:56

No problems with smokebox darts and that one then?  

I found a suitable Comet set, but they look too small for me to fit without issues, I'm scared even to open the pack.  I don't have small drill bits or a suitable drill so I'd have to get a pair of glasses and the appropriate tools to go in that direction.

As I understand it some people use vision hoods or something to do modelling in advanced years?  Not for me, at least in my current head-space. It's the lack of working right hand which truly affects my choices.   Just about to have one last attempt with left hand , perfect lighting on kitchen bench, what can possibly go wrong? 

Nearly time to call International Rescue Rob - Thunderbird's are Go...

#2164 robmcg

robmcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 22 April 2018 - 21:04

result!  I got the Hornby darts to go in, but the blu-tak has the effect of pulling them out again, and putting glue on the shaft or in the hole is a complete nightmare, it's a recipe for insanity so I have given up.  The metal option is too small and fiddly and brings me out in shaky sweats

There is ONE person who might do it but currently in Australia.

Photo editing in the meantime.   Tony Wright and company would be appalled.

sigh  p.s. found the reading glasses but (I am told) they are stored on a high shelf behind some other stuff,  I could use bent poles to drag everything down if it was life and death, but it isn't I'll wait until someone is around who can help.

Edited by robmcg, 22 April 2018 - 21:08 .

#2165 toboldlygo

toboldlygo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 21:23

result!  I got the Hornby darts to go in, but the blu-tak has the effect of pulling them out again, and putting glue on the shaft or in the hole is a complete nightmare, it's a recipe for insanity so I have given up.  The metal option is too small and fiddly and brings me out in shaky sweats

There is ONE person who might do it but currently in Australia.

Photo editing in the meantime.   Tony Wright and company would be appalled.

sigh  p.s. found the reading glasses but (I am told) they are stored on a high shelf behind some other stuff,  I could use bent poles to drag everything down if it was life and death, but it isn't I'll wait until someone is around who can help.

You need a second cocktail stick* (without blu-tack) pressing on the dart when you remove the first :)

*And in your case a second pair of hands or these guys..

https://youtu.be/NQwgIZ__WrY

#2166 robmcg

robmcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 22 April 2018 - 22:39

Well I spent about 25 minutes with further attempts to insert the pin in the hole, but always it was unclear to see visually if it was 'in' because of the blu-tak, and usually the darts ended up with the mounting shaft sideways against the blu-tak and smokebox front..  Someone else can do it , when I sell the model I'll just have accept the loss in value. It may have been 'in' at times but honestly it is the stuff of mental breakdowns.

So that's it. 

I don't know why I bother.

If people actually get satisfaction from doing these things, good on them, I think I might have once, but no longer can.

I am going to edit pictures of the engine, I can do that so it's undetectable .  Feels like I have wasted 36 hours of my life on this, which is my own stupid fault, not accepting my own limits.

I did however fix the mild upward tilt on the Heljan 47XX 4704 running plate, so it is more nearly flat,

before

4704_47XX_GWR_portrait70_3ab_r1200.jpg

after

4704_47XX_GWR_portrait70_3abcd_r1200.jpg

just to ensure that thread drift stays alive here, I'd have put the second pic on the Heljan thread but they are mostly modellers over there... :)

oh, the fix was about 3 minutes editing, none of this stuff with tools, skill, honesty... 

Edited by robmcg, Yesterday, 00:26 .

#2167 robmcg

robmcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted Yesterday, 00:21

What problem with smokebox darts?

45000_Black_5_5MT_Img_9560ab_r1200.jpg

45000_Black_5_5MT_Img_9634abcd_r1200.jpg

pictures edited. who, me?

Edited by robmcg, Yesterday, 00:21 .

• Like x 4

#2168 apollanaut

apollanaut

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted Yesterday, 01:30

Oh the joys of modern image manipulation software! When reality falls short of our expectations and hopes, a few deft touches can airbrush away any annoying imperfections and settle the souls of idealistic hearts....
  • Agree x 1

#2169 robmcg

robmcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted Yesterday, 02:44

Thanks for those wise and soothing thoughts, Apollanaut.  I confess I am rather put off buying new models now, they seem to fall apart too easily. The weathered Black 5 has caused me considerable grief, but it's my problem, I should not have taken the wildly foolhardy risk of removing it from its box.

When failure rates with models used to be about 5%, my recent purchases have been over 50% faulty (by faulty I mean something I would judge to be not fit for purpose).

I have fixed some myself, some like the Black 5 I cannot fix but cannot easily return having meddled with it. Besides, a return cost about NZ$30 £15

I'll probably still buy a Lord Nelson when they hit the shops, author of my own misfortune!  Because the standard of modelling is so high, when they get it right! :) 

• Agree x 1

#2170 robmcg

robmcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted Today, 00:46

45000 doesn't look too bad really,  why could I ever doubt Hornby?

45000_Black_5_portrait12_2abcde_full_r1200.jpg

pic edited (ever so slightly)  :)

Rails of Sheffield 'heavily weathered end-of-life' weathering, toned down only a .little bit.(above)

Here is a Hornby-weathered 44762, (below);

44762_Black_5_portrait11_2a_full_r1200.jpg

and here below again is another weathered (unknown artist) style, this time with 1968 15 Guinea engine 44871.

44871_Black_5_portrait_lower_lamp_35a_1ab_r1200.jpg

Three different boilers, three different chimneys, plenty of traps for the unwary. Of which I am most assuredly one.    :)

Comments on detail errors welcomed. The Black 5 is the minefield which make Bulleids all look the same!

Edited by robmcg, Today, 00:47 .

• Like x 5

#2171 apollanaut

apollanaut

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted Today, 01:21

Fantastic photos robmcg!

I’ve been an admirer of your artistic efforts ever since I first joined Rmweb. And it’s fair to say that your work is what first inspired me to start taking photos of my own models. I soon caught the bug and have been practicing hard for over a year now in order to develop my skills. I’ve also become interested in taking landscape and other photos of NZ life and folk.
  • Thanks x 1