Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo

The hazards of layout building in Australia

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 Platypus

Platypus

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 21 June 2016 - 14:44

As an Aussie we should be proud of our killer wildlife, whilst North America has bears and Africa lions and hippos ( who are actually fearless killers ) we have a wide range of animals to choose from ! Seriously though if you take reasonable and sensible precautions you will be safe. Do NOT ignore signs like "crocodiles use these waters" , those taken by crocodiles in Northern Australia ignored common sense, like sailing in a tinny that is smaller than a crocodile in crocodile infested waters, or paddling in a river at dusk when the crocs go hunting is really stupid. 

• Informative/Useful x 1

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#102 luckymucklebackit

luckymucklebackit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • LocationEaglesham, south of Glasgow

Posted 21 June 2016 - 15:22

Australia does not have one of the most ferocious beasts known to man

The Scottish Midge!!  Singularly of no consequence, but there are billions of them and they all know how to bite!!!

Jim

• Agree x 4

#103 DavidB-AU

DavidB-AU

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 21 June 2016 - 23:35

Seriously though if you take reasonable and sensible precautions you will be safe. Do NOT ignore signs like "crocodiles use these waters" , those taken by crocodiles in Northern Australia ignored common sense, like sailing in a tinny that is smaller than a crocodile in crocodile infested waters, or paddling in a river at dusk when the crocs go hunting is really stupid.

I once visited a crocodile farm in the Northern Territory. The guide explained that crocodile meat tastes like whatever it has been fed. If they feed them on chickens the meat tastes like chicken, if they feed them on fish the meat tastes like fish. He then added "that's why wild crocodile tastes like American tourist".

Cheers
David
  • Funny x 7

#104 jamie92208

jamie92208

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 14:46

I once visited a crocodile farm in the Northern Territory. The guide explained that crocodile meat tastes like whatever it has been fed. If they feed them on chickens the meat tastes like chicken, if they feed them on fish the meat tastes like fish. He then added "that's why wild crocodile tastes like American tourist".

Cheers
David

A friend of mine on a tour party was told that a salty had eaten a German tourist.  He tried to start a collection for the croc.

Jamie

• Funny x 3
  • Like x 1

#105 monkeysarefun

monkeysarefun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationSydney, where everything wants to kill me,

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:27

Today I went down to my shed to cut some wood, bent down to plug the saw in to find a tiger snake curled up just below the powerpoint. My fault, I should have mounted the powerpoint halfway up the wall.

It does make you question your manliness though when you call up WIRES (thats our local wildlife rescue organisation) and a young lady in shorts turns up and captures it.

I wish I'd thought to get a photo. (of the snake - not the young lady in shorts..)

Edited by monkeysarefun, 14 February 2017 - 08:29 .

• Funny x 4

#106 TheQ

TheQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationNorfolk occasionally Central Scotland, and sometimes anywhere else in the UK.

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:32

Today I went down to my shed to cut some wood, bent down to plug the saw in to find a tiger snake curled up just below the powerpoint. My fault, I should have mounted the powerpoint halfway up the wall.

It does make you question your manliness though when you call up WIRES (thats our local wildlife rescue organisation) and a young lady in shorts turns up and captures it.

I wish I'd thought to get a photo. (of the snake - not the young lady in shorts..)

Much more dangerous in my tool shed,

I bent down to unplug the plug mounted transformer that keeps the electric screwdriver charged and found....

a mouse curled up on top keeping warm :no:

• Like x 3
  • Funny x 1

#107 monkeysarefun

monkeysarefun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:47

Tiger snakes in my shed, 

a red belly black snake living in the drain outside  my parrot aviary,

huntsmen spiders popping up in my  house.. (and car)  regularly'..

DSC_0181 (1024x576).jpg

huntsman (1024x768).jpg

What is this 'mouse' that you speak of? I've never seen one!  :no:

Edited by monkeysarefun, 14 February 2017 - 08:49 .

• Friendly/Supportive x 1
  • Like x 1

#108 Gwiwer

Gwiwer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,255 posts
  • LocationUpon a Hill of Strawberries

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:20

What is this 'mouse' that you speak of?

Isn't this country famed for its giant hopping mouse?  ;)

I did once discover Mus musculus concealed on the layout.  Having checked the tracks were clear of leaves, spiders and possum poop (all of which are regular embuggerances) I switched on, powered up and the train ran nicely until it entered the tunnel.  I heard a dull thump, the train jerked stop-start fashion but continued.  I thought little of it for the next two seconds until a sleepy mouse emerged from the tunnel portal closely pursued by a train!!!

• Funny x 4

#109 jamie92208

jamie92208

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:08

The layout hasn't yet got to it's French home but when we had some electrical work done in the summer the electrician took the switchboard off the wall to reveal three very surprised gerni's fast asleep amongst the rockwool and the wiring.

Jamie

• Like x 1

#110 TheQ

TheQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationNorfolk occasionally Central Scotland, and sometimes anywhere else in the UK.

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:22

video mice Australia (if I've got the link right).

https://www.youtube....h?v=zWVw-j8eYSk

Edited by TheQ, 14 February 2017 - 10:54 .

• Like x 1

#111 monkeysarefun

monkeysarefun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:28

The layout hasn't yet got to it's French home but when we had some electrical work done in the summer the electrician took the switchboard off the wall to reveal three very surprised gerni's fast asleep amongst the rockwool and the wiring.

Jamie

G'day Jamie,

I have not been able to find where you are writing from, so obviously  regional differences are causing my issues but I sure am wondering what  your definition of a gerni is, because here in NSW  a  Gerni is  a high pressure water blaster, and so, to  find 3 of them sound asleep in  my wall would be like some weird psychedelic drug thing from the 60's that I've only read about, like the yellow submarine etc . (I was under 10 in the 60's so I have actually only read about it!)

• Like x 2
  • Funny x 1

#112 monkeysarefun

monkeysarefun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:38

video mice Australia (if I've go the link right).

https://www.youtube....h?v=zWVw-j8eYSk

Wow - but just need more snakes to fix.

I had a mate who lived in a dairy near here at Cobbitty, SW of Sydney. He'd kill mice and rats that infested the hay shed, skin them , glue the hides to bits of badly cut ply with a keyring attached and give them to his friends -  including me  - as presents.

Very entrepreneurial, but they got stinky after about a week so we'd have to throw them out.

#113 PhilJ W

PhilJ W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:44

G'day Jamie,

I have not been able to find where you are writing from, so obviously  regional differences are causing my issues but I sure am wondering what  your definition of a gerni is, because here in NSW  a  Gerni is  a high pressure water blaster, and so, to  find 3 of them sound asleep in  my wall would be like some weird psychedelic drug thing from the 60's that I've only read about, like the yellow submarine etc . (I was under 10 in the 60's so I have actually only read about it!)

Predictive text strikes again, I think he meant gerbils.

• Agree x 1

#114 Junctionmad

Junctionmad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:49

Jeepers , nothing natural where I live can kill me , thank goodness the only poisonous animal that stings here , has to stand for election from time to time
  • Funny x 5
  • Like x 1

#115 monkeysarefun

monkeysarefun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:02

Predictive text strikes again, I think he meant gerbils.

Thanks Phil,the more I googled gerni, the more confused I became..

Jamie - I apologise for thinking that you were in some 60's psychadelic band, obviously  its presumably all due to autocorrect/predictive text. Where will it end...?

Edited by monkeysarefun, 14 February 2017 - 11:06 .

• Funny x 1

#116 jamie92208

jamie92208

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:33

G'day Jamie,

My typo, it should have read Gerbil.  However no predictive text on this laptop, just fat finger syndrome.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208, 14 February 2017 - 12:34 .

• Funny x 1

#117 TheQ

TheQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:34

Thanks Phil,the more I googled gerni, the more confused I became..

Jamie - I apologise for thinking that you were in some 60's psychadelic band, obviously  its presumably all due to autocorrect/predictive text. Where will it end...?

Ask the text! it makes predictions :no:

• Funny x 1

#118 Wolseley

Wolseley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationHills District, Sydney, Australia

Posted 24 October 2017 - 15:30

huntsmen spiders popping up in my  house.. (and car)  regularly'..

Huntsman spiders are not really that dangerous though, they just look scary.  We used to get quite a few of them coming inside the house at our old place.  I would catch them on the end of a feather duster, take them outside and flick them over the back fence.

We hardly see any where we are now for some reason  - I think I've seen three of them in the last four years.

Edited by Wolseley, 24 October 2017 - 15:33 .

• Informative/Useful x 1

#119 NinOz

NinOz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLogan, QLD, Oz

Posted 11 November 2017 - 13:35

https://static.rcgro...-176-324932.jpg

• Funny x 3