Old Tram Depots still in existence

melmerby

"Queens Road Bus Depot, Manchester.

Also being used as a Bus Museum"

Queens Road Bus Depot was the tram depot, in fact the first Electric tram depot for Manchester Copration Tramways. It is now owned by First. The Bus Museum was never a tram depot it was open as bus depot for the new motor buses, it is the venue for MRX on 17/18th May.

Hyde Road Depot, now Stagecoach Manchester was a tram depot and later a trolleybus depot. Hyde Road Car Works still exists but I am not sure who owns it now, I think it may be the council.

Oldham Depot, now First, was a tram depot.

Think the Oldham depot is the later bus depot built behind the original tramshed which was between the 'Nat West Bank' and the Walshaw place bus depot.

The tramshed in Shipley (ex Bradford Corp) has found a useful change of purpose...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7438/12658896385_34aae44680_z.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Cork City Tramways depot in Albert Road, Cork is still exists.

The part shown in the photogrraph is occupied by the National Sculpture Factory.,  The next bay (not shown) is the joinery workshop for Cork City Council.

post-158-0-29670300-1394236190_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Not a depot, but the grandaddy of tram works......

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=west+strand&ll=53.763414,-2.722737&spn=0.002749,0.006968&hnear=W+Strand,+Preston+PR1+8UQ,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.763339,-2.722715&panoid=oAR1pZuVtN5szGzubVu9bg&cbp=12,211.24,,0,11.02

Dick Kerrs in Preston (now Alstom)

Incidentally, the building to the right houses an excellent model shop called Transport Models....

Tram-loop-81-tram-forest-rd-walthamstow.

Not a depot, but a still open turnaround where the tram return loop used to be at Beacontree Ave and Forest Rd, Walthamstow. You are looking toward the old "water works corner" where the  North Circular underpass is now.

I remember it for the 623 and 625 Trolley bus routes in the 50's. (When I very little). So I believe that makes it the terminus turn around of the 25 tram. Back then of course there was a tall green pole in the middle and the usual mass of overhead wiring.  (credit -google maps screem shot)

This is the one that started the ball rolling in the other thread Keith referred to. Great Yarmouth, the "new" Art deco front was added in the mid 1930s after the end of trams in the town but the basic building is still the original tram depot  still used as the towns bus depot. Of interest Kingsway models do a nice card kit of this bus garage

post-17847-0-33479500-1394237002.jpg

• Like 2

Think the Oldham depot is the later bus depot built behind the original tramshed which was between the 'Nat West Bank' and the Walshaw place bus depot.

The tramshed in Shipley (ex Bradford Corp) has found a useful change of purpose...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7438/12658896385_34aae44680_z.jpg

Nice to see they still acknowledge its past with the name

Nottingham Parliament Street - a few rails just about visible here I think.  They're moving out to a new site soon. 

It's actually on Lower Parliament Street. You can see the fan of sidings inside the shed from the road. There's also a set of rails protruding above the tarmac at the entrance. I know, because I nearly tripped up on them when walking past once.....

Brighton Corporation Tramways https://www.google.com/maps/@50.838439,-0.123688,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1soch4jekb4X7LEQ2E48FeHA!2e0?hl=en

still a Bus Garage.  Built for the trams.  The actual tram sheds can be seen through the gateway.  When the trams got the chop, they were replaced by Trolleybuses, then they got the chop themselves.

• RMweb Premium
On 08/03/2014 at 01:00, PhilNE said:

Not a depot, but the grandaddy of tram works......

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=west+strand&ll=53.763414,-2.722737&spn=0.002749,0.006968&hnear=W+Strand,+Preston+PR1+8UQ,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.763339,-2.722715&panoid=oAR1pZuVtN5szGzubVu9bg&cbp=12,211.24,,0,11.02

Dick Kerrs in Preston (now Alstom)

Incidentally, the building to the right houses an excellent model shop called Transport Models....

Not quite the true grandaddy.  The very first tramway works in the UK were the Starbuck works in Birkenhead dating from the 1860's. (The firm later became part of Dick Kerr).   The works in Cleveland Street still exist with a blue plaque on them.   There is also another building a little further down the street that was also part of the works.  The works were set up by George Starbuck who was the American foreman for George Francis Train who brought trams to Britain in 1860.  Starbuck later returned to the USA and his foreman George Milnes carried on in the works trading as G F Milnes and Co who were later bought out by Dick Kerr.

023a.jpg.df487f1c0c1aa83667f7d5bfe1fe529b.jpg

These are the original works, photographed in 2006 on a research trip by the Leeds Transport Historical Society for their restoration of 107.

Here is the other works on the same street. 

023b.jpg.17cee95bf1d24983373e2c04ae5f96ba.jpg

Thanks to Rob Jones of MTMS for showing us these two survivors.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

Brixton Hill (Streatham) old tram depot is now an overflow bus garage but still has the rails in the ground.

http://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/brixton-hill-tram-depot.html

More info on trams around Brixton here on a local discussion forum http://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/brixton-trams-history.html although the actual discussion forums are very left-leaning politically and possibly best avoided if you are of a nervous disposition.

• Like 2

Pretty sure this bar on Corsica St just off Highbury Corner is an ex-tram depot. 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.546229,-0.102066,3a,75y,67.61h,79.27t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1soPrGRB1kkP3Kc4IUzg9-lw!2e0

When I lived in the area it was called the Tramshed.

We ended up there as the finishing point of a works Xmas do many moons ago!

It was a bit basic, not that I remember much about it  :drinks:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Tram-loop-81-tram-forest-rd-walthamstow.

Not a depot, but a still open turnaround where the tram return loop used to be at Beacontree Ave and Forest Rd, Walthamstow. You are looking toward the old "water works corner" where the  North Circular underpass is now.

I remember it for the 623 and 625 Trolley bus routes in the 50's. (When I very little). So I believe that makes it the terminus turn around of the 25 tram. Back then of course there was a tall green pole in the middle and the usual mass of overhead wiring.  (credit -google maps screem shot)

The trams were reversible and did not require a turning circle. The loop was installed for trolleybuses when they replaced the trams.

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

The trams were reversible and did not require a turning circle. The loop was installed for trolleybuses when they replaced the trams.

Although strictly true, some systems did have some loops/turning circles. Blackpool for one.

Plus the large one at Rednal I linked to. Although this was normally for storing the trams before the return journey, as there was also a normal turnback for reversing.

(There was also a loop on the Coventry Road terminus at Yardley.)

I assume it was for operational reasons, no need to de-wire and swap ends, meaning a speedier turnround.

IMHO That one above would have been too tight for a tram though.

Keith

There are two remaining in Leicester. The nicest is Stoneygate, heading out of the city on the A6. The lease was taken over by a transport heritage group recently, though things have been quiet for a while so I'm not sure how things are progressing. I've always felt it would make a nice 1/64 diorama for a few Corgi trams.

There's also a depot on Narborough Road, complete with a lovely supermarket sign!

post-538-0-31360700-1394277314.jpg

post-538-0-33581500-1394277535.jpg

• RMweb Gold

With regards to Parrs Wood Depot at East Disbury, I worked in the Schedules Office at Birchfields Road Depot (an ex Tram Depot) which was at the other end of Kingsway and I was told one of the justifications for closing the depot and moving a lot of the work to Birchfields Road was the reduction in walking time for drivers on the 50, as duty changeovers could take place outside the depot, unfortunately the police didn't allow it and crews had to walk around the corner to the lay-by on Kingsway thus increasing the walking time over Parrs Wood reliefs!

Edited by Peter Crichton (Savoyard)

Thanks for pointing that out. Something I didn't know that I do now.!

I only moved there after the trolleybus replacements. And they used  the loop as quite a long stop-over. I do think it was paved cobbled though. Perhaps hat's partly why I mistakenly assumed the trams before them did the same, handily staying off the busy road. I vaguely remember the abandoned nearby tram tracks around the Whipps Cross roundabout, but I'm not sure now if I saw any up to and beyond the "Rising Sun" just a little further on, which I think was the end of the 38 route? 

Do you know if either route had tracks that went through the "Waterworks corner" and any closer to Woodford?

Thanks for pointing that out. Something I didn't know that I do now.!

I only moved there after the trolleybus replacements. And they used  the loop as quite a long stop-over. I do think it was paved cobbled though. Perhaps hat's partly why I mistakenly assumed the trams before them did the same, handily staying off the busy road. I vaguely remember the abandoned nearby tram tracks around the Whipps Cross roundabout, but I'm not sure now if I saw any up to and beyond the "Rising Sun" just a little further on, which I think was the end of the 38 route? 

Do you know if either route had tracks that went through the "Waterworks corner" and any closer to Woodford?

Hello Andy you might find one or both of these sites interesting and helpfull regards Steve

http://sharemap.org/public/Trams_in_London#!flash

http://www.tundria.com/trams/GBR/London-1934.shtml