Bachmann revised OO Class 150/1

lapford34102

Why do I get the feeling this model is like their 37, and will take 3 attempts to get it right. Wonder if a photographic set of a crowd of figures fitted to the chassis block would assist, along obviously with figures in the rest. Something like a pair of TTCs challenging a group of youths while a backpacker waits to get past.

• RMweb Premium

I quite fancy the Northern one, having ridden on one on Saturday. A good partner for the Realtrack 144. What are the destinations on each cab?

Its a shame Bachmann are not doing this livery within the Farish range, which seems bizarre  :scratchhead:

Edited by richierich

• RMweb Premium

I completely agree. Let's just say I'm happy with the bargain bin prices I paid for them as well

I did see a 150/1 in Central livery at a Toy Fair unboxed for £40 quid. Looked to be ok condition and complete. Quite a difference to £130 for the latest one.

Very nice, what era is the Centro livery? Also are there no cabs lights? 

Well I've grown up with this livery around me. I think it popped up around the early 90s and survived right through till around 2006/06 or so. Not too sure on the cab lights I'll be honest. I'm now very tempted to add passengers. I think this and the Realtrack Class 144 have nailed the shade of interior lighting. I've found a lot of previous models to have either the shade of yellow to obvious or it's been too bright.

I did see a 150/1 in Central livery at a Toy Fair unboxed for £40 quid. Looked to be ok condition and complete. Quite a difference to £130 for the latest one.

Lol my stand alone 150/2 brand new and boxed for £56! I got a cheap-ish Dynamis train set containing a 150/1 which was around £40 if you take out the price of the track and the controller.

I doubt we'll see bargains like that ever again unfortunately!

Edited by sub39h

The Centro (Regional Railways) livery was unveiled in about 1990 but the version depicted on the new release, with white stripes either side of the doors and relocated Centro logos was unveiled in 1999 and lasted until replaced by the Central Trains green and blue livery first unveiled in 2006. 

The new model looks great, definitely be getting one for Kings Oak's 2006 fleet (and the shed layout).  I wonder how easy it is to add DCC sound?  I managed to destroy a previous style chassis and a sound chip trying to install sound in a 150 as the chip and the sound box are too far apart for the usual length of wire between the chip and speaker as bought, and need soldering up - which is how I ruined both.  I hope they've sorted that.

Very nice, what era is the Centro livery? Also are there no cabs lights? 

Driving at night the driver will have the cab lights off and I know some fellow guards leave the lights off in the trailing cab.

Anyway, despite it being completely out of era for me, I have bought one, if only because it's one of our regulars around Bristol. Destination blinds read Gloucester and Frome, funnily enough it's on a Frome service later this evening. Seating needs painting, though the layout is completely wrong, all seats should face the cab. the bike end is also wrong, though off the top of my head I can't remember which layout in should be on 128. The 'private' sign low on the crew door should be a little larger I feel. Some yellow and black tape wouldn't go amiss for for holding the cab interior together :nono: , and maybe a copy of yesterday's Metro stopping the light fitting from falling down :banghead: . That said, overall not a bad model. Definitely needs a dose of dirt over the undercarriage and the inside edges of the door openings.

Now off to search my figures box for suitable ones for some of our more memorable passengers :devil:  and my favourite fellow crew. :heart_mini:

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1

Seating needs painting, though the layout is completely wrong, all seats should face the cab. the bike end is also wrong, though off the top of my head I can't remember which layout in should be on 128. 

I think it's worth noting - for those thinking about the model who are less familiar with the real thing - that there are now a fairly wide variety of interior layouts on 150/1s, which betray their passing through a number of previous operators!   So what's wrong on 128 could well be accurate for 147!

I think it's worth noting - for those thinking about the model who are less familiar with the real thing - that there are now a fairly wide variety of interior layouts on 150/1s, which betray their passing through a number of previous operators!   So what's wrong on 128 could well be accurate for 147!

And at different times throughout their history.

my Northern Rail one arrived today, well done Hattons for getting it out so fast.

Its clear that the new 150 is an improvement over the old one, but the plastic white interior moulding really lets the model down, they could have painted the black screw as seen in my picture of the motor car!. Realtrack really have shown what can be done with a lit interior.

side by side with my r3sprays repaint of my 150/1 and Realtrack 144, its time for it to be sound chipped and the interior painted to make it the definitive model.

post-9046-0-76884500-1419364097_thumb.jpg

post-9046-0-41900600-1419364203_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

A good point about the model is that because the leading bogie at the driving cab is a trailing bogie and the middle bogie is the motorised one, my Class 150 is on my old Hornby Rolling Road getting run in. Very useful as i only have a 6 foot plank layout!

post-9046-0-67375000-1419366249_thumb.jpg

I find the motorising arrangements of this model interesting, as the Graham Farish class 150 uses a very similar layout. In N, one expects some compromises to be made, but as others have said, it must've been possible to come up with a more elegant solution.

Credit to Martin with his improvements to the first release model - very convincing!

I'll keep a camera with me and if I get 150128 as my booked unit. If I get any photo's I shall post them here for all to see, should they want to improve the interior. I'm booked a 150 for several train when I'm back, so who knows.

• RMweb Premium

The

my Northern Rail one arrived today, well done Hattons for getting it out so fast.

Its clear that the new 150 is an improvement over the old one, but the plastic white interior moulding really lets the model down, they could have painted the black screw as seen in my picture of the motor car!. Realtrack really have shown what can be done with a lit interior.

side by side with my r3sprays repaint of my 150/1 and Realtrack 144, its time for it to be sound chipped and the interior painted to make it the definitive model.

The white interior isn't far off how Northern have refurbished the interiors. The seat maquette is a dark blue / purple, with white pins strip, so maybe some paint to represent the seat maquette is worth considering.

Bachmann's instructions on fitting a DCC decoder seem to be cut and pasted from the first versions of Class 150/1 and 150/2s where the fitting of DCC sound was a hair tearing experience.

Take the shell off the unit. Unclip the three black clips across the lighting unit. Slip out the interior lighting units. There is a screw in the seating unit which releases a chunk in the floor, and then you will find a nice space for a standard speaker where the SP1 and SP2 contacts are. The seating unit just fits over the top.

All i need is an actual Class 150 sound decoder, next payday I think post-9046-0-59269500-1419543952_thumb.jpgpost-9046-0-27091500-1419544115_thumb.jpgpost-9046-0-59225400-1419544031_thumb.jpg

Edited by steven156