New Card Model Designer and Seller.

Hi,

First, I hope that it is OK to post a "commercial" topic here - if not, I apologise and perhaps one of the moderators can either remove it, or move it to a more suitable location.

I am in the process of starting a company selling card models that can be downloaded, printed out and built.

The aim is to concentrate on the smaller structures that inhabit the landscape.

A free download of a typical line side hut is available from my website www.finescalebuildings.com for anyone to try out if they wish.

Lineside_Hut-1.jpg

I would welcome any feedback regarding the model and the website in general. I am also open to any suggestions regarding future models that you feel may be useful.

With kind regards, Frank - Fine Scale Buildings Limited.

Edited by frankw
  • Like 6

Hi Dava,

The model is designed for 4mm. But, it is easily scaled by printing out at different percentages on your printer - I believe 175% will take the model up to 7mm, but be aware that the paper will need to be tiled, or an A3 printer used. Also, card thicknesses will need adjusting. Details for this are on the website:

Different Scales.

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your "very enthusiastic" anti-virus software. The problem could be that It maybe set up to automatically reject any download that has a *.zip extension (one of the most common ways of propagating viruses inside emails).

However, if you still want to evaluate the free model, please get in touch with me, either via my website or this forum, and I will arrange to allow you to download the three PDF files contained in the zip file individually using other means.

Once again, sorry that you appear to be having a problem.

Kind regards, Frank.

Edited by frankw
  • Like 1

I would welcome any feedback regarding the model and the website in general

Frank you lost me the moment you called it a 'freebie' but then presented me with the conditional site registration rigmarole.

If a 'freebie' is an inducement to have us look at the site and evaluate your work, let it be so. If the product stands on its own merits as Scalescenes' does, you don't need to push the signup. As it stands, the moment you presented me with the conditioning 'commitment' registration screen to access my trial download, I was gone. I just don't want it that much and resent the condition imposed that I sign up to your site in order to download it. What a crock.  

Hi Biggles,

Thank you for your useful and forthright feedback.

I have modified the website to now allow people to download the PDF file of the model and PDF files of the instructions without having to create an account if they do not so wish.

I hope that this enhancement meets with your satisfaction.

With regards, Frank.

• Like 2

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your "very enthusiastic" anti-virus software. The problem could be that It maybe set up to automatically reject any download that has a *.zip extension (one of the most common ways of propagating viruses inside emails).

However, if you still want to evaluate the free model, please get in touch with me, either via my website or this forum, and I will arrange to allow you to download the three PDF files contained in the zip file individually using other means.

Once again, sorry that you appear to be having a problem.

Kind regards, Frank.

Dear Frank,

Thanks for your help in downloading this kit. It looks impressive and the kit construction notes and the general guidance notes are very comprehensive. I wish you well in your new enterprise.

Regards,

Thank you for altering the trial download conditions Frank. I'll revisit.

Having purchased in excess of 20 John's Scalescenes products, I like and use the convenience and quality of download, print 'n and build. The green house looks just the thing. Been wanting one of those.

Edited by Bigglesof266

• RMweb Gold

Having downloaded the free kit I am impressed with the level of detail that has been put into the kit, bodes well for future releases. On a personal note a few of the workbenches will find a home in my O gauge Scalescenes small engine shed for a start :)

• RMweb Gold

and so here's a couple of benches ready to install in the engine shed

post-6717-0-19962100-1395397691_thumb.jpg

I've cut out the newspapers and drawing separately and glued over the print to give a bit more relief. Don't need to go too mad as they will be in the gloom of the shed :)

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 5

Hi RedgateModels,

Thanks for posting the photos, it is good  to see how people are making use of the kit.

It would be nice to see other peoples efforts as well, that is if they wish to show me :)

Kind regards, Frank.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would post some images of the latest release from Fine Scale Buildings.

Pillbox_Type28A.jpg

Pillbox_Type28A_02.jpg

Pillbox_Type28A_01.jpg

As you can see, it is a model of a type 28A pillbox, built during world war two and still to be found along side railway lines, at crossroads and on river crossings across  the UK.

The model can be made with full interior detail if required, or can be modelled closed; either boarded, blocked up, or shuttered. This, along with the optional removable roof could allow electrical equipment to be hidden above the baseboard of your layout where it may be easier to access. The whole interior can also be omitted to provide even more space to hide such "paraphernalia" if so wished :)

I hope that this new model can perhaps be useful to you.

Edited by frankw
  • Like 5

That is a lovely build of the hut Ajax.

I hope the pillbox is useful for you and fits nicely into your layout. It would be great to see an image once it is in place.

For modelling structures, card is my favourite medium . I do hope you are now converted to the "card side" as well :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just thought that I would post some images of our latest model:

Garden_Summerhouse.jpg

Garden_Summerhouse_02.jpg

This is a typical pent roof 8' by 10' small summerhouse as found in many gardens.

• Doors can be modelled open or closed.
  • Choice of roof types - corrugated or felt.
  • Choice of interiors and interior fittings.
  • Range of garden furniture - seats, bench, table, picnic bench, sunshades.
  • Brick BBQ.
  • Water butt

I hope it may be of use to someone, perhaps in a quiet but sociable area of their layout :)

Regards, Frank.

Edited by frankw
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hehe, perfect for the current weather conditions.

I've not downloaded and had a go yet as I've so many other projects currently on the go including some graphics work to fund said projects!

I'll be working in N when I get round to it but might see if the structure of the 00 shed could suit a 30's/50's stand alone domestic garage.

Unfortunately I don't know when that will be.