New Card Model Designer and Seller.

Hi Frank

I've just bought the greenhouse, reading the assembly info I liked the way it builds  in layers right from the base upwards.  Suggestions? that's a difficult one as there are now quiite a few people doing these download and print card models. Really it's a matter of doing something different to the others. I think one of my main turn-offs with some of the others is the cheap almost cartoon like graphics, realism is key I think. Texture sheets and small accessories are always useful.

Good luck with it Frank, when I've completed the model I'll post it up, oh a gallery of customers builds and kit-bashes on the website would be good.

PS have a look at my 'bags of space' blog (link below) that could be a future possibility.

Edited by sleeper

• RMweb Premium

Frank:

I'm currently rebuilding after a move, so I haven't ordered anything yet.

I wonder if there's a market for something that would fit over surface-mounted Peco point motors? I'm not sure what would be put that close to the tracks.

Thanks for the feedback Sleeper, it is always good to see if I am heading in the right direction :)

A number of people have suggested a customers gallery, I will look into providing one on the website in the future. At the moment the main priority is expanding the portfolio of buildings we provide, I hope that everyone will appreciate this aim.

When I design buildings, realism, mitigated by simplicity of construction with basic tools, is always my target. I am a mediocre modeller at best (very sharp tools and good lighting with magnification help me a lot!) With this in mind, I follow the philosophy that "if I can put this together, then most people can". I do hope that this reasoning is working for people :)

I will consider structures for covering point motors David, However, like you I am unsure what could be placed that close to the permanent way realistically.

Kind regards, Frank,

• 1 month later...

Here are some images of our latest product:

CrossingHut.jpg

CrossingHut_01.jpg

CrossingHut_02.jpg

A substantial brick built railway crossing keepers hut.

• Door can be modelled open or closed.
  • Choice of interiors and interior fittings.
  • Woodwork, door and window colour options available for many of the major British Rail regions and pre-nationalisation companies.

There are more images on our facebook page.

I hope it will be useful to someone :)

Regards, Frank.

Edited by frankw
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Another of our card models has been hit with a bottle of champagne and has slid down the slipway :)

A type 22 Pillbox, to compliment our type 28A pillbox:

Pillbox22.jpg

Pillbox22_01.jpg

Pillbox22_02.jpg

Built like the type 28A, to a general overall specification with many local variations after Dunkirk in 1940, these pillboxes are still often found alongside railway lines, in fields, at road junctions and on river crossings. This type of bullet proof pillbox was designed to house infantry.

• Interior detail
  • Removable roof
  • Option to model with the building doorway sealed against vandalism - block, corrugated iron or wood shuttering options
  • Fully illustrated assembly instructions included.

There are a few more images on our facebook page.

I hope these models will continue to be useful  :)

Regards, Frank.

Edited by frankw

• 1 month later...

Here some images my new model of an Anderson Shelter for your consideration.

068.jpg

042.jpg

046.jpg

075.jpg

061.jpg

• Full shelter and buried shelter options along with a full doorway option for setting into the side of a hill.
  • Option to model as a post war garden/allotment shed converted from a shelter
  • Various finishes - new - rusted - painted
  • Full interior detail including bunks, mattresses, steps and workbenches
  • Door for shed option can be modelled open or closed

As usual there are more images on my Facebook Page

Edited by frankw
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These look rather good Frank,

I'll be building the free kit today as little test compared to scalescenes into a small EWS yard hut. I'll post a picture up when i'm done. As a suggestion, maybe design a station thats different to the ones everyone else is marketing like the one at Woolston because you could sell it with different signage to turn it into council offices, police station, offices or even a grand old house. Therefore, increasing the usage of one kit instead of designing many and make it appeal to a wider customer base including wargamers (Thats what i see your focusing on at the moment) because it could be used as a staff headquarters.

All the best,

Lloyd

• 3 months later...

Hi all, after a bit of a delay, here are some images of my latest model. It's a Station Masters House - a bit bigger than my usual efforts to date. It was designed and built for an exhibition layout in my local model railway club and is loosely based on the one at Chappel on the Stour Valley line.

Station_Masters_House_01.jpg

Station_Masters_House.jpg

• Windows and doors can be modelled open or closed
  • I have included door, window and woodwork colours for all the BR Regions and the pre-nationalisation companies
  • There is a fully detailed interior and a Pickford's van full of furniture (image below is a sample)  :)

Furniture01_02.jpg

Of course, it does NOT HAVE to be just a Station Masters House...

Regards, Frank

Edited by frankw
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished building your lineside hut and it's quite a nice kit with options - always a good thing.

Along the lines of McRuss comment earlier, different finishes/textures would be great.

I'm re jigging this hut with a wood board finish - quite like your garden shed, as that's more fitting with the layout I'm doing.

More major buildings ie. the ones you might make a quid or 2 on

Brick, light stone and dark stone options (where appropriate)  would be awesome.

Regardless I'm thinking your garden shed and Anderson shelter, perhaps the greenhouse too are going to end up somewhere on my next layout.

Oh just as an aside have you considered lineside boxes? although I think someone already does them in card.

Cheers

Gerry C

Edited by altone

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the suggestions and for the compliment regarding the free model.

I will indeed start to offer different wall textures for my buildings in future. At the moment I am concentrating on different buildings as I feel that this is the way to go with my new business. Offering differing versions of the same building when I can only offer a few unique model designs at this early stage, I think could send a negative message to any potential customers.

Of course I could be wrong in this approach, as I have very little experience in this business :)

I will investigate Lineside Boxes as you suggest.

Regards, Frank.

• 1 month later...

I am pleased to announce after a number of requests, that I have produced as a separately available kit an expanded set of the 1950-50's furniture and fittings that came included with the Station Masters House. Here are some images:

Furniture01.jpg

New Items

Furniture01_01.jpg

Station Master House items.

Furniture01_02.jpg

The kit includes the following:

• Single and double beds, with choice of bedding.
  • Warbrobes, dressing table, bedside cabinets and chest of drawers.
  • Kitchen furniture including; fridge, washing machine, cooker, sink units, dressers, and larders.
  • Living room furniture including; three piece suites, tables, bookcases, TVs and radio.
  • Chairs and benches.
  • Office furniture including, filing cabinets, office cabinets, office bookcases, desks and chairs.
  • Fittings including, carpets and mats, mirrors, pictures etc.

Kind regards, Frank.

Edited by frankw
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Here are some images of my latest offering, a Station Goods Yard Stables. Once again designed as a commission for a layout at my local model railway club.

GoodsYardStable.jpg

GoodsYardStable_01.jpg

GoodsYardStable_02.jpg

This model is loosely based on the building still in existence at Dereham station in Norfolk.

• Detailed interior.
  • Doors can be modelled open or closed.
  • Door and window colour options available for many of the major British Railways regions and pre-nationalisation companies.

This kit features registration marks on each individual sheet which may aid automatic cutting using a Silhouette Cutter or similar machine.

Model size: 200mm x 88mm x 111mm (WxDxH) at 4mm scale.

I hope It meets with your approval :)

Edited by frankw
  • Like 3

Well, I have put my money where my keyboard is and just downloaded the new stables. Download looks good up close; a nice mellow brick.  It's Flemish bond, for any who are interested.

A particularly useful feature, which I have never seen modelled before, is the giraffe stable at the end. 

Need to find some decent horses in 4mm, oh, and a giraffe.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi everyone. Sorry I have been away from this forum for a considerable time, but life got in the way of me doing any new models for a while.

That has changed happily, as I have just released a NEW building!
It is a half relief model of a large sandstone house, based on a building in Scotland that was a mine owners cottage, then a doctor's house and finally a private dwelling.
I hope it will be useful.

Sandstone_House02.jpeg

Sandstone_House01.jpeg

• Like 6