North Staffordshire Railway Coaches

avonside1563

• RMweb Premium

Superb!

Is one of them even on its original underframe?

So many carriages of this period have been restored on modern frames but that top one looks as though it may be the "real deal"

Tony

I think the underframe on NSR 61 is a Midland underframe with timber headstocks and solebar covers

http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=11232

Superb restoration work - I've been following it on the Stanegate Restorations photo website;

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album/502127

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album/402585

Andy

Both underframes are new to the bodies and are both steel with cosmetic wooden solebars and headstocks fitted. 127 has a shortened 13T Pipe Wagon chassis (B741715) and 061 has a lengthened underframe from a MR 4 wheeled passenger rated 12T van. Both are vacuum fitted and suitable for passenger service.

More information on the coaches and the NSRRT can be found at http://www.knottycoachtrust.org.uk/news.html

• RMweb Premium

I think that No 61 has the edge in looks because of those lovely carriage sized spoked wheels. It really does look for all the world as if it could be an original underframe with just the brakes upgraded to modern standards. I am not sure if the carriages originally had spoked or wooden disc wheels but those look just great.

The wagon sized three hole disc wheels on No 127 are a bit of a give away that it has some more modern components underneath!

99% of people probably wouldn't ever notice and having a vehicle running like that is a million times better than not having it running at all.

As for the quality of the livery, all I can say is gorgeous!

They are both superb examples of restoration and the folk involved deserve much praise and credit.

Tony

Wow they are beautiful and it’s obvious they done every thing they can to give them period looking under frames. One question there are lots of coach bodies up and down the country some in preservation some still in private use but with the rapid run down of rail freight in the last forty or so years and the demise of the type of wagon providing under frames and wheel sets are we going o see a time when it become unviable to restore these bodies as the under frames are no longer available? has preservation missed the boat on this one 

Good question Londontram, Foxfield already has suitable underframes for the other two wooden bodied coaches it has - which are an ex Midland Railway luggage/1st/3rd and an ex Midland Railway bogie 3rd - and the NSRRST have got a long term plan to bring these under their wing. However I would imagine there are plenty of other bodies without underframes at the moment.

• 5 weeks later...

Apparently the NSRRST are aware of the Rudyard bodies and think they may be NSR 1st's. There are plans afoot that may involve some form of rescue if at all possible.

Apparently I was incorrect in this post and the trust weren't previously aware of these bodies. However they have since inspected the two bodies, spoken to the owner and will be recovering them to foxfield soon with the aim of restoring the better preserved body and conserving the other.

• Like 6

Apparently I was incorrect in this post and the trust weren't previously aware of these bodies. However they have since inspected the two bodies, spoken to the owner and will be recovering them to foxfield soon with the aim of restoring the better preserved body and conserving the other.

Good grief! When I found them I honestly thought that they were far beyond saving!

It seems the vehicles were built using jigs and panels so it is an easy case of replicating a new panel to the same dimensions as an exisitng one, so as long as there is enough of the original material that is re-usable then a rebuild is very much possible. A further possible NSR coach has since come to light also and this is being looked at, it appears that the publicity from the restoration of the first two vehicles is prompting the awareness of what else might be around. I wonder how many vehicles the train could end up consisting of......!

• Like 2

There ought to be a link between the existing coach and the rebuild, otherwise all you're doing is cloning 1:1 scale models (a phrase borrowed from the Tornado haters). But exactly how much is open to debate, there may not be anything worth salvaging, and the birth of the "rebuild" would only come about through the certain death of the original.

If it was a vintage aircraft, you'd only have to include just one piece of the original in order for it to be classed as a rebuild and be able to keep the same registration. But building a reproduction would be a lot harder.

As with all such items there is always debate as to what is a restoration/Rebuild as distinct from a replica/new build. Much of the two restored coaches is new but they are still seen as restorations. As long as there is a substantial part of the original vehicle then I would feel fine classifying them as restored.

The first public operating date for the coaches has been announced as the 9th August 2014. So if you're interested in coming along to Foxfield for a trip in the newly restored NSR coaches pop that date in your diary.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's great to see these coaches restored,,, and i wonder if the relics found at the lakeside will be restore able,,, certainly many restored coaches have roofs and floors replaced and have to have frames found for them

And most have little or no interior,, but the framework looks to be mostly there for one of them,,, and Maby the doors are on the ground,,,

I wonder if they do start to restore the better of the two,,,,, would the poorer coach become the basis for the brake vehicle recreation the group wants,,,,, as unless the other possible recently discovered coach is one then there is none available