Waddon Marsh Revived!

Pete 75C

Yes, Pete, and I went and linked that thread over to this one as I thought it had run its course and did not realise the section under which it was correctly placed!!!   So Malcolm, over to Pete's original thread in the 'UK Prototype Questions' section for the prototype data but please continue to email me direct so as not to hijack that thread!!!   Kind regards, Colin.

• 1 month later...

An update (but not much to report!) I have had to take my place in an orderly queue and the Portuguese Project (Campo De Leste) has taken precedent lately  (see Portuguese Modelling page in Overseas Modelling area for thread) That said fleet build up continues a pace. 3 x 2 EPBs  (two blue, one B/G) and a 4VEP blue and 4CEPm b/g (Don't ask!!) a New style Heljan 33/0 and an older (but very passable) 33/1 all with sound chips have been added to the fleet. A b/g MLV has just arrived too (no sound yet) Coal wagons are all done and all Kadee fitted as we have decided that as the EMUs and 33s will all sort them then we might as well have the few freight wagons thus equipped. Have also (as previously reported) decided to go with cassettes as most trains are fixed formation and don't need lifting and the odd loco (if Kadee equipped) is easily hoyked off and spun round! the 73 cannot come soon enough! 

• Like 2

You're right - the new Class 73 seems to have completely disappeared off the radar, it was announced years ago! Looking forward to it when (if?) it does arrive.

It will come Pete..... problem is a full repaint (at the least) as initial run are all wrong era/type. Still tempted by a cheap recent Hornby one as power is not the issue. Lima model was always pretty good. Limby one is therefore DCC ready, OK and needing detailing...I will ask the 3rd rail bods here?!

• 4 months later...

This thread ain't dead chaps. The layout is coming back from club rooms for some 'homework' as I have been shunted down the list at club. Determined to get it ready and need a deadline (invites welcome) to work to and I will get it finished!!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not dead..... not by a long chalk! After a couple of years' dormancy due to a club break up and forming a new club SDEG (Scottish Diesel and Electric Group) Waddon Marsh is back on the burner and booked for Ayr Show in September 2017. Cassettes are part built as is extra fiddle and lighting rig. Only 16 weeks or so to go.....!

Will post some progress pictures in a while once I get out of workshop/stable!!

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Right folks...we are go!. Had stock running on track, new power bus fitted, many droppers, possibly a few that Pete forgot! 8 cassettes built 4 @ 2 feet and 4 @ 4 feet. Fitted the first of the Cobalt Digital point motors and they seem very straight forward and sensible. Easy to swap on the move oif one failed at a show too. 09 is done and has stay alive and Zimo chip with sugar cube. 2 EPBs MLV etc etc all tested. Looking forward to Ayr Show on 16th 17th of September. Will post a few photos once I have had paint brush out on fiddle backs and airbrush out on track again.

S

• Like 2

We are go 3rd rail GO!!! Many thanks to fellow SDEG members Iain Adams (senior and junior) for a day's graft and we have all layout tested and working. Cobalt Digital point motors work a treat (don't look at anything else!) Dapol southern ladder post signals installed and the MLV and (Stay Alive Zimo) 09022 did the honours. Some fine tuning and secenic work to do but otherwise we are ready for Ayr show in 3 weeks time. Si

post-657-0-26176500-1503765432_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-88195900-1503765439_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-70080300-1503765494_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Looking very good indeed. Good to see there was room for the signal box - that was a worry. On paper, 6 feet would seem ample for a 2-car island platform, but it was actually very tight! Looking forward to more.

In fairness, the box is pretty close to the real one. Add some deep bargeboards to make it even more so.

I like this layout a lot. WM was a rare old station; not much, but very characterful, and wonderfully "off grid" for a place so close to lots of busy-ness. The whole branch was like that really, even down to the 'sneak in' platform at West Croydon, and it stayed 'trad' to the end.

Excellent stuff!

Kevin

PS: more grass growing through the cracks in the platform.

Edited by Nearholmer

This is the REAL box..... I am under time pressure and nearest laser cut kit was this one (adapted one, no solid back wall windows right around) In time it will become completely correct but I haven't got that luxury this time..... I agree with Kevin that it is pretty close. 

post-657-0-57990800-1504518902.jpg

Edited by gridwatcher
  • Like 2