Dapol 2014/15 Catalogue

rembrow

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear do you people not do irony. I never seriously wanted a 'yawn button'.

My comment was aimed at the fact that it seemed almost every other post was from Adrian having a dig at Dapol and extolling the virtues of his own products. Now let me make this clear, I am not a big fan of Dapol they make far too many c**ck ups. I am a big fan of Adrian's kits which with the addition of some descent buffers and replacement of some of the whitemetal brake gear with something finer in brass/nickel strip make up into very nice, accurate models. I also greatly applaud Adrian taking the trouble to do the research and point out the errors.

What I find a little tedious is the tone and repetitive nature of the posts and criticisms - we get it, Adrian has a real problem with Dapol and his own products are marvellous. Hence the light hearted 'yawn' comment.

Jerry

Hi  Queensquare et al    About 25 posts out of 153  in this forum is not quite every other post and quite a lot were trying to be constructive about the B4 before disaster struck again.    In only 9 of these was I critical of Dapols products and only in 2 did I mention my products and not really in any way being particularly praiseworthy.  In fact it was 3 of your posts which actually gave my products a sort of "thumbs up" ( at least I took it that way, but you might have been trying to be ironic ??)   One or two  other contributors may have mentioned my models in a positive way.  I suspect it was the tremendous impact of my observations and vast knowledge of certain subjects that made my few posts seem so overwhelmingly important to you that it appeared I was dominating the thread.

Naturally I am very grateful for the positive opinions of my products but please don't overdo it, I am a shy and retiring person and I find it very embarrassing to have praise heaped upon my models, especially on a site dealing with another manufacturers products. People might think I am passing brown envelopes in your direction which would be most unsavoury.

One of the things I find most annoying are those who post on forums trying to discredit my observations and criticism but when challenged to provide

even the smallest amount of evidence to back up their statements, they fall deathly silent.  These posts remain in view and give other readers the idea that their opinions have some validity, without any proof being forthcoming, and that my comments may be untrue.. Naturally I tend to question what they have said and this may lead to my posting twice on the same point.

Did the irony work this time Kathedron ??            Regards all,  and keep praising Dapol to ensure you get more of the same    adrianbs

Yeah, I do irony, just your post didn't come over that way.  Particularly when you add to the "button" suggestion criticism of Adrian's products (no connection by the way).

I fell everyone just has to accept that others all have their own ways of getting their point across and I try and take that into account.

Oh dear do you people not do irony. I never seriously wanted a 'yawn button'.

My comment was aimed at the fact that it seemed almost every other post was from Adrian having a dig at Dapol and extolling the virtues of his own products. Now let me make this clear, I am not a big fan of Dapol they make far too many c**ck ups. I am a big fan of Adrian's kits which with the addition of some descent buffers and replacement of some of the whitemetal brake gear with something finer in brass/nickel strip make up into very nice, accurate models. I also greatly applaud Adrian taking the trouble to do the research and point out the errors.

What I find a little tedious is the tone and repetitive nature of the posts and criticisms - we get it, Adrian has a real problem with Dapol and his own products are marvellous. Hence the light hearted 'yawn' comment.

Jerry

Hi, As the instigator of this thread, I now feel that the content has gone well off track from the intended direction, which was to comment on the overall Dapol 2014/15 catalogue items and not for in depth comment on individual Dapol products, which is where this has now ventured. If I still had control of this thread I would arrange to 'lock it', however it has been 'pinned' by the administrator so any action will be of their decision. Please restrict comment on this thread to the intended direction, if you wish to comment on particular models, use their dedicated threads or open a new one.

HI All

Had a look at the catalogue his weekend and Is of a good quality feel to the whole thing.

Now one thing did grab my attention :O  in the pocket wagon there is a P&O Nedlloyd 40ft HC and I would say its one of mine :nono:

Regards Arran

Hi Arran et al,   No surprise if a large RTR manufacturer uses someone elses kit or handbuilt to illustrate a forthcoming model. It's been going on for as long as I can remember, right back to the 60's or before. At one time it used to be K's or Wills loco kits  and sometimes other makes if a suitable item existed. Sometimes the models were so badly made it would have been quite off-putting to a potential purchaser.  I can't remember anyone being asked if they minded or wanted any credit caption except in one recent case.

Thats the way many RTR manufacturers work, rather than coming up with some original model, never produced, they will normally duplicate an available kit or RTR. This is partly due to the "RTR  Lobby"  of modellers who are unwilling to make a kit but because they know little about the subject, assume there are no other options and pester the RTR companies to make what is already available in kit form.  What is even more annoying is that often the RTR is not as good, but kit sales are decimated by the appearance of a  RTR model.. It is quite surprising that when these RTR products appear it is clear that although they have duplicated a kit, they have not taken advantage of that to ensure their own model is correct by using it as a guide.        Regards  adrianbs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Darran  See my post  No 70   in "RM web Dapol Pillbox brake van in shops (Friday) "   although in that case it was not a fully finished product.  I suppose there may have been an agreement to allow Dapol to do this but, had I been the kit manufacturer involved, I would have asked for a substantial fee. Copywright laws etc are almost impossible to enforce in China of course,   Trading standards can take action under some circumstances in the country where the orignal product was made I believe. I have used T/S to at least warn off a supplier of pirated goods although without any financial compensation.  The laws are strict but evidence has to be very conclusive to get any real satisfaction in monetary terms.        Regards  Adrian

I don't think Arran was suggesting that Dapol deliberately used his product in the production of the photo in Dapol's catalogue, it's more likely that it was accidental when you consider that 1) the catalogue was designed and published by Warners Group, who publish BRM magazine and this website. They would have been involved in organising the products for the shooting. and 2) the model in question is a High Cube container which Dapol actually make a model of, although not in the livery photographed, so why would they deliberately expose the product of a rival manufacturer in the catalogue? Sometimes the mess up is the answer rather than the conspiracy unless your trying to undermine, when a conspiracy argument is hard to disprove, but unlikely to be accepted in a legal decision when logic is applied and a more realistic answer is staring at you.

HI All

I don't think it was deliberate by any one employed there ,  and these things can happen but who proof reads these things.

All I am doing is pointing out its a C Rail product, and its an end to the matter as far as I am concerned.

Regards Arran

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have spoken to Joel @ Dapol about the 156's. He clarified there will be no 'express' livery in the current releases (on facebook) and invited me to email details of the express livery to which he responded...

"Many thanks for the information. I must confess these DMU’s are a bit of a confusion to me so your information was most welcome. I will chat the options over with Andy and Richard  and hopefully  we will add an `Express Liveried’ Regional Class 156 to our range to be manufactured towards the end of 2014. If we do this I will post the news on our website and Facebook."

Hopefully... Fingers and toes crossed...

Steve

A Non catalogued addition has been added to the development list....

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=179_298_300_583

• 2 weeks later...

A Non catalogued addition has been added to the development list....

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=179_298_300_583

Yay! I'll definitely buy a 156 in Regional/Central Trains "express" livery, presuming that is what they actually mean. I've always thought it is the most handsome livery on that class.

Heaven only knows what they mean by "London Provincial Railways" though - sounds like the name of a holding company for an unsuccessful TOC franchise bid! I guess they mean early Regional Railways with "Provincial " branding

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anybody heard any news about the proposed Dapol Adams B4 locomotives ? Just wondering.

Nothing I can find on the Dapol website.

I was a bit surprised to see the GWR railcar targeted for Q3 of 2015 on the Dapol website. That's only 3-6 months from now. (Of course that may be a very stale piece of data on the website. I get the impression there are things on the website that are not updated very often.) The railcar front has been pretty quiet too.

• 6 months later...

Stated today at the Dapol Open day

The Rebuilt MN will be the first of the next generation models with coreless motors in the engine.  These will be tested to destruction and any faults found ironed out before production.   They are expecting that at next year's Open day they will have livery samples at the evry least.

Les

If the Bullied Light Pacifics are to have an entirely new type of mechanism it is understandable that delivery will be delayed. Personally I would prefer to know that the basic mechanism had been extensively tested before being put in any new models.

Really it isn't any different to the long delays in delivery of the Farish Ivatts which during their development went from a proposed tender drive to the coreless motor loco drive we have today. Worth the wait? Absolutely as it turned out and hopefully people will say the same of these models.

What I am curious to know is if the proposed N Gauge J72 has been dropped in the light of the Farish model's announcement?

Roy   

Archived