Bankside 00 Network South East APA layout

Bankside Modern Image APA box

Name :- Bankside

Gauge :- 00

Era :- 1985 - 1995 Network South East (but rule 1 applies)

Size :- Approx 2ft x 1 ft 

Control :- DCC (Bachmann Dynamis)

I've always wanted a Model railway but have never had the space to get something looking acceptable, sound familiar to you? That’s what started me off with this project, my railway interest over the past 30 years seems to have stopped and started with gaps of about 5 years in between where I go off to do other things but I always seem to come back to those memories of the Mid 1980’s and touring the rail network chasing locos down for haulage.

I have previously modelled in N gauge but tended to overcook things and try making it too big and getting out of my depth.So we come to the layout as I say space has always been a constraint to any plans I had thought of before, so while browsing this site and others  on the internet I saw the potential for a layout on the basis of a box from a well-known Swedish manufacturer which goes by the name of an APA box. Modellers were fitting all sorts of plans into the box and they looked just the job. Getting the tape measure out and getting the dimensions of a Bachmann class 416 unit I saw it would fit with about an inch and a bit to spare.

post-12740-0-32014100-1395479479_thumb.jpg

PIC 1 IKEA APA BOX

So we were now onto what to do with the box how to turn it into that Model Railway I've always wanted and make the memories become more than something locked away. 1986 was probably the year I always remember best aged 17 and just left School a small amount of surplus cash from my Youth Training Scheme and a bit of freedom meant that I could tour the country by rail from home based in Carlisle, the most vivid memories are of a Freedom of Scotland tickets and trips to the Southern parts of the UK which let us take in ‘exotic’ places like Basingstoke, Gratley, Andover, Salisbury, Axminster, Exeter and Bristol all new to an enthusiast from ‘up North’ so it was the familiar Class 27s and 37’s of Scotland or the ‘rare’ Class 33s and 73’s of Network South East both colourful in their own way but Network South East and all of Chris Greens ‘Bling’ stole it.

Onto the choice of what to model with the size only been around 2ft by 1ft and modelling in 00 gauge your limited to what you can do or so I thought, it was either a stabling point or depot scene that immediately came to mind with several excellent layouts been depicted on this site that capture those scenes fantastically … but I wanted all of the ‘Bling’ that Network South East was all about and that was no more shown than at at the stations, the Red, White and Blue splashed everywhere, Branding on steroids so to speak , could I fit a commuter station into the Box?

After a bit of thought and measuring up the answer was yes abet only possibly part of a Station I wasn't going to get a 4 car 4-CEP in to the platform but I could fit a 2 Car EMU or a Loco and Coach to simulate the business end of a larger train and certainly a MLV Parcels unit so I chose to model the Terminus end of what would be a larger London Station.

By this time I hadn't even got the box I was just going off measurements from the web so one was purchased for the bargain price of £11.00 and also picked up some lighting in the shape of a 3 piece ‘LEDBERG’ LED strip light also £11.00. The light is a bit too big if you use all the parts but I noticed that the strips were joined together and just clip together to make the connection so you could have one, two or three parts, two would fit just fine if attached to the top bar. So the whole lot for £22.00 I did buy two sets though as I plan to use the 2nd box as a fiddle yard / control area.

post-12740-0-45536100-1395479605_thumb.jpg

PIC 2 IKEA APA BOX fitted with LEDBERG LED Light

Back home and thoughts turned to what to the name the layout and the how to turn this Box into something I could work with. I got a map out and looked at the names of London Stations already in existence as this was not a specific modelled location I wanted to avoid the use of somewhere already In use, looking at it most of the stations were of one word from the area of London or were based on the STREET or ROAD that the Station was located so after much pondering with locations and different combinations I came up with the single name of BANKSIDE mainly due to its different meanings that could be interpreted in London it could be on the Bankside of the Thames or besides the Banking area in the City both of which would be plausible for Network South East coverage.

Now onto the construction the first job I did was to assemble the box but leaving out one side panel this gives you the viewing side I also installed the lights at this time screwed onto the top bar so you can still lift the lid off and work on the layout with the light on. The base it’s a bit flimsy if you were just to stick the track onto it and it is also a bit lower than the ends if you want to run off scene to a fiddle yard for instance so the base was built up to the height of the wooden ends using layers of Foam board cut to the shape of the bottom well. Several bits of Code 75 flexi track were purchased and different combinations of length and numbers were used before deciding on a three track terminus with two tracks to be the ‘main’ platforms with a parcels / stabling bay to the front. The idea also was to make it as easy as possible so there are no points on the layout as points do take up alot of space and space is something I hadn't got.

I liked having the idea of some form of Station building and a bit of platform at the end of the track with perhaps a canopy as many of the London Terminus have rather than just running the track to the end of the box. The trouble with the idea was that any use of the end seriously encroaches into the space you have for track so again out with the ruler and I came up with using and turning a Metcalf Platform Canopy on its end and running the tracks slightly under it so keeping some valuable track length but would mean I needed a small stand for the leg of the Canopy to stand this would be between track so again careful measurements taken to ensure the three tracks would still fit.

On to the Platform design having got the basic measurements of the canopy and track lengths I cut a hole into the end panel opposite end from the terminus which would enable me to run off to a fiddle yard and cut the track to suit then while browsing the local Hobby store for ideas I found they had some foam board that was coloured Grey on one side and Black on the other having asked “She who must be obeyed” which she preferred in an Opticians kind of way “Grey side or Black side, Grey Side or Black Side” which didn't go down well and checking photos of real platforms on the Intranet it was decided to use the Grey side as the main platform and carefully measuring it all out I cut the platform as one piece as the box is small enough for this to work rather than doing it platform by platform I feel this worked really well as there are no join marks.

post-12740-0-96238600-1395479688_thumb.jpg

PIC 3 Platform cut out of 1 piece foam board

Looking at the foam board I was using I hit on the idea that if I purchased some of the Peco concrete platform edging that the little lugs on the Peco edging would push into the foamy part of the board and thus make a nice finish once glued together. The rest of the underneath the platform that you cannot see was firmed up with strips of foam board glued at angles to provide a stable surface. At this point before it was glued into place the opportunity was taken to paint the edges and fill in any gaps where the platform met. Again before the platform was glued into place everything was measured and loosely put into place.

post-12740-0-55959200-1395479726_thumb.jpg

PIC 4 Underside of platform

post-12740-0-66920000-1395479742_thumb.jpg

PIC 5 Showing testing of platform in APA Box

Now thoughts turned to the back scene I wanted to make it a bit grimy and despite the excessive use of paint to get the NSE Brand across many of the Stations seemed to be run down from memory and a lot of photographic research from the period on the Internet brought up some interesting images from Waterloo, Victoria and Broad Street Stations and bits were taken from each as inspiration. I wanted a bit of relief on the longer side rather than just a flat picture so purchased a Laser cut two piece bit of MDF from the Internet in the form of brick arches which was suitably painted and weathered and has come up looking as I remember.

The part at the Terminus end behind the Canopy was layered with various images to hopefully give the impression of depth and that the platform is part of a larger area of Station. Once happy this was all glued into place and the canopy also glued down.

post-12740-0-54104200-1395479789_thumb.jpg

PIC 6 Retaining wall undergoing fitting and weathering

post-12740-0-66149000-1395479800_thumb.jpg

PIC 7 Showing how I gained a little more space while using the Metcalfe canopy kit

post-12740-0-28170100-1395479820_thumb.jpg

Pic 8 Trying to use layers of backscene to gain depth

Next up was adding some Network South East ‘Bling’ from various sources and manufactures, trellis, signs, ticket booths, lights, trolleys, people etc. were added to get the working station feel but at this stage I still hadn’t fixed down the track. As it was on the Southern I had to install some 3rd rail and using the Peco parts for doing so set about drilling holes in every 4th sleeper and as I hadn't fixed down the track this process was probably a lot easier than if trying to work in situ it also helped that I only have 3 relatively short sections of track to do which were all straight but it was a straightforward job.

PIC 9 trying the track down

post-12740-0-70986400-1395479892_thumb.jpg

PIC 10 sizing the track layout up

post-12740-0-21636000-1395479909_thumb.jpg

PIC 11 checking everything looks OK before glueing

Ballasting took the form of the diluted PVA method and was then dirtied up a bit as terminus station trackwork is normally a but grubby.

post-12740-0-44393700-1395479962_thumb.jpg

PIC 12 Track work with added rubbish.

More people, signage etc.... moved in and this is where I'm up to now, I still have to develop the left hand exit to hide that a bit more and also get to work on the other box which is where the trains will exit too, not so much as a fiddle yard more of a mirror image track wise to the station side.... 

Some more images 

post-12740-0-41125000-1395480029_thumb.jpg

PIC 13 Class 37 37712 stabled in the bay platform

post-12740-0-43522800-1395480065_thumb.jpg

PIC 14 A busy terminus is what I'm trying to portray 

post-12740-0-52758800-1395480081_thumb.jpg

PIC 15 The 2EPB gets the right away while the passengers queue for the next service.

post-12740-0-25809000-1395480102_thumb.jpg

PIC 16. OK Rule 1 applies as Star Wars came out a bit before 1985 but I liked how it looked.

I hope you have enjoyed this so far I was going to submit to a magazine but lost confidence so decide to show it to the masses on here, any ideas for improvement please let me know.

I'll update once I start on the 2nd box

Cheers 

Steve

Fantastic use of such a small space. The perspective view of the concourse works brilliantly, especially because of the way the canopy breaks up the view. Where did you get the images that you say you layered?

Nigel

Hi Steve, you have done a great job in fooling the eye with the station concourse, as requested by by Nigel, can you give us an overall picture of the layout, and chance showing it with the Ikea lights on as well.

I have 4 x of these APA boxes waiting to build a small modular layout.

Happy Modelling

Craig.

Hi thanks for the comments here are some overall pics as requested.

post-12740-0-12140500-1395512563_thumb.jpg

PIC 1 looking towards the left of the box, this area still needs work on it to disguise the run off to the 2nd box which I have built at am in process of attaching. Excuse the wires to the  back for the DCC controller which need to find a route.

post-12740-0-90639100-1395512585_thumb.jpg

PIC 2 Looking towards the right of the box 

post-12740-0-86323000-1395512596_thumb.jpg

PIC 3 with the lid off looking down to show the length of the class 416 EPB in the top platform, Class 419 MLV in center and class 08 and 37 bottom. You can see the Ikea Ledberg light strip along the bottom of the picture.

Any more let me know.

Cheers 

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve, many thanks for sharing this, especially the detail description of what and how you've built it. It is a very impressive bit of modelling. I especially like the concourse end of the platform with the ticket collectors hut and rubbish.

One suggestion for the other end, how about a footbridge over the tracks. If I remember correctly, there was one at Kings Cross.

Hi Steve, thanks for the pics, that is niiiiiccccceeeee "as in the style of the Fast Show "Jaaaazzzz", also I go with Colin's suggestion, footbridge over the tracks for a scenic break...........it's a cliche....but a classic one.

Happy modelling

Craig.

Bankside Modern Image APA box

Name :- Bankside

Gauge :- 00

Era :- 1985 - 1995 Network South East (but rule 1 applies)

Size :- Approx 2ft x 1 ft 

Control :- DCC (Bachmann Dynamis)

I've always wanted a Model railway but have never had the space to get something looking acceptable, sound familiar to you? That’s what started me off with this project, my railway interest over the past 30 years seems to have stopped and started with gaps of about 5 years in between where I go off to do other things but I always seem to come back to those memories of the Mid 1980’s and touring the rail network chasing locos down for haulage.

I have previously modelled in N gauge but tended to overcook things and try making it too big and getting out of my depth.So we come to the layout as I say space has always been a constraint to any plans I had thought of before, so while browsing this site and others  on the internet I saw the potential for a layout on the basis of a box from a well-known Swedish manufacturer which goes by the name of an APA box. Modellers were fitting all sorts of plans into the box and they looked just the job. Getting the tape measure out and getting the dimensions of a Bachmann class 416 unit I saw it would fit with about an inch and a bit to spare.

attachicon.gifBankside00018.jpg

PIC 1 IKEA APA BOX

So we were now onto what to do with the box how to turn it into that Model Railway I've always wanted and make the memories become more than something locked away. 1986 was probably the year I always remember best aged 17 and just left School a small amount of surplus cash from my Youth Training Scheme and a bit of freedom meant that I could tour the country by rail from home based in Carlisle, the most vivid memories are of a Freedom of Scotland tickets and trips to the Southern parts of the UK which let us take in ‘exotic’ places like Basingstoke, Gratley, Andover, Salisbury, Axminster, Exeter and Bristol all new to an enthusiast from ‘up North’ so it was the familiar Class 27s and 37’s of Scotland or the ‘rare’ Class 33s and 73’s of Network South East both colourful in their own way but Network South East and all of Chris Greens ‘Bling’ stole it.

Onto the choice of what to model with the size only been around 2ft by 1ft and modelling in 00 gauge your limited to what you can do or so I thought, it was either a stabling point or depot scene that immediately came to mind with several excellent layouts been depicted on this site that capture those scenes fantastically … but I wanted all of the ‘Bling’ that Network South East was all about and that was no more shown than at at the stations, the Red, White and Blue splashed everywhere, Branding on steroids so to speak , could I fit a commuter station into the Box?

After a bit of thought and measuring up the answer was yes abet only possibly part of a Station I wasn't going to get a 4 car 4-CEP in to the platform but I could fit a 2 Car EMU or a Loco and Coach to simulate the business end of a larger train and certainly a MLV Parcels unit so I chose to model the Terminus end of what would be a larger London Station.

By this time I hadn't even got the box I was just going off measurements from the web so one was purchased for the bargain price of £11.00 and also picked up some lighting in the shape of a 3 piece ‘LEDBERG’ LED strip light also £11.00. The light is a bit too big if you use all the parts but I noticed that the strips were joined together and just clip together to make the connection so you could have one, two or three parts, two would fit just fine if attached to the top bar. So the whole lot for £22.00 I did buy two sets though as I plan to use the 2nd box as a fiddle yard / control area.

attachicon.gifBankside00020.jpg

PIC 2 IKEA APA BOX fitted with LEDBERG LED Light

Back home and thoughts turned to what to the name the layout and the how to turn this Box into something I could work with. I got a map out and looked at the names of London Stations already in existence as this was not a specific modelled location I wanted to avoid the use of somewhere already In use, looking at it most of the stations were of one word from the area of London or were based on the STREET or ROAD that the Station was located so after much pondering with locations and different combinations I came up with the single name of BANKSIDE mainly due to its different meanings that could be interpreted in London it could be on the Bankside of the Thames or besides the Banking area in the City both of which would be plausible for Network South East coverage.

Now onto the construction the first job I did was to assemble the box but leaving out one side panel this gives you the viewing side I also installed the lights at this time screwed onto the top bar so you can still lift the lid off and work on the layout with the light on. The base it’s a bit flimsy if you were just to stick the track onto it and it is also a bit lower than the ends if you want to run off scene to a fiddle yard for instance so the base was built up to the height of the wooden ends using layers of Foam board cut to the shape of the bottom well. Several bits of Code 75 flexi track were purchased and different combinations of length and numbers were used before deciding on a three track terminus with two tracks to be the ‘main’ platforms with a parcels / stabling bay to the front. The idea also was to make it as easy as possible so there are no points on the layout as points do take up alot of space and space is something I hadn't got.

I liked having the idea of some form of Station building and a bit of platform at the end of the track with perhaps a canopy as many of the London Terminus have rather than just running the track to the end of the box. The trouble with the idea was that any use of the end seriously encroaches into the space you have for track so again out with the ruler and I came up with using and turning a Metcalf Platform Canopy on its end and running the tracks slightly under it so keeping some valuable track length but would mean I needed a small stand for the leg of the Canopy to stand this would be between track so again careful measurements taken to ensure the three tracks would still fit.

On to the Platform design having got the basic measurements of the canopy and track lengths I cut a hole into the end panel opposite end from the terminus which would enable me to run off to a fiddle yard and cut the track to suit then while browsing the local Hobby store for ideas I found they had some foam board that was coloured Grey on one side and Black on the other having asked “She who must be obeyed” which she preferred in an Opticians kind of way “Grey side or Black side, Grey Side or Black Side” which didn't go down well and checking photos of real platforms on the Intranet it was decided to use the Grey side as the main platform and carefully measuring it all out I cut the platform as one piece as the box is small enough for this to work rather than doing it platform by platform I feel this worked really well as there are no join marks.

attachicon.gifBankside00022.jpg

PIC 3 Platform cut out of 1 piece foam board

Looking at the foam board I was using I hit on the idea that if I purchased some of the Peco concrete platform edging that the little lugs on the Peco edging would push into the foamy part of the board and thus make a nice finish once glued together. The rest of the underneath the platform that you cannot see was firmed up with strips of foam board glued at angles to provide a stable surface. At this point before it was glued into place the opportunity was taken to paint the edges and fill in any gaps where the platform met. Again before the platform was glued into place everything was measured and loosely put into place.

attachicon.gifBankside00023.jpg

PIC 4 Underside of platform

attachicon.gifBankside00024.jpg

PIC 5 Showing testing of platform in APA Box

Now thoughts turned to the back scene I wanted to make it a bit grimy and despite the excessive use of paint to get the NSE Brand across many of the Stations seemed to be run down from memory and a lot of photographic research from the period on the Internet brought up some interesting images from Waterloo, Victoria and Broad Street Stations and bits were taken from each as inspiration. I wanted a bit of relief on the longer side rather than just a flat picture so purchased a Laser cut two piece bit of MDF from the Internet in the form of brick arches which was suitably painted and weathered and has come up looking as I remember.

The part at the Terminus end behind the Canopy was layered with various images to hopefully give the impression of depth and that the platform is part of a larger area of Station. Once happy this was all glued into place and the canopy also glued down.

attachicon.gifBankside00025.jpg

PIC 6 Retaining wall undergoing fitting and weathering

attachicon.gifBankside00026.jpg

PIC 7 Showing how I gained a little more space while using the Metcalfe canopy kit

attachicon.gifBankside00028.jpg

Pic 8 Trying to use layers of backscene to gain depth

Next up was adding some Network South East ‘Bling’ from various sources and manufactures, trellis, signs, ticket booths, lights, trolleys, people etc. were added to get the working station feel but at this stage I still hadn’t fixed down the track. As it was on the Southern I had to install some 3rd rail and using the Peco parts for doing so set about drilling holes in every 4th sleeper and as I hadn't fixed down the track this process was probably a lot easier than if trying to work in situ it also helped that I only have 3 relatively short sections of track to do which were all straight but it was a straightforward job.

attachicon.gifBankside00029.jpg

PIC 9 trying the track down

attachicon.gifBankside00030.jpg

PIC 10 sizing the track layout up

attachicon.gifBankside00031.jpg

PIC 11 checking everything looks OK before glueing

Ballasting took the form of the diluted PVA method and was then dirtied up a bit as terminus station trackwork is normally a but grubby.

attachicon.gifBankside00010.jpg

PIC 12 Track work with added rubbish.

More people, signage etc.... moved in and this is where I'm up to now, I still have to develop the left hand exit to hide that a bit more and also get to work on the other box which is where the trains will exit too, not so much as a fiddle yard more of a mirror image track wise to the station side.... 

Some more images 

attachicon.gifBankside00002.jpg

PIC 13 Class 37 37712 stabled in the bay platform

attachicon.gifBankside00005.jpg

PIC 14 A busy terminus is what I'm trying to portray 

attachicon.gifBankside00007.jpg

PIC 15 The 2EPB gets the right away while the passengers queue for the next service.

attachicon.gifBankside00011.jpg

PIC 16. OK Rule 1 applies as Star Wars came out a bit before 1985 but I liked how it looked.

I hope you have enjoyed this so far I was going to submit to a magazine but lost confidence so decide to show it to the masses on here, any ideas for improvement please let me know.

I'll update once I start on the 2nd box

Cheers 

Steve

Looking really good. I'm sure it would have gone down well in the mags.

Hi again Steve,

Is the second box going to extend the scenic area, or is it just for the fiddle yard?

Nigel

What I'm planning on is a separate scenic area which can be used as a fiddle/storage area for this box and likewise this box will be the fiddle / storage area for the other box if you can see what I mean.

Bit like a 2 for 1 system, 2 boxes which are connected physically but not directly connected to each other visibly, so you will see this open box and to the left of if the rear of the other box and the other box when viewing it you will see the rear of the station box. I've seen roundy,roundy type layouts where the back board goes down the centre of the layout and you get 2 separate layouts as such. its a bit of a waste just to run into an empty box.

I was thinking of a basic Stabling point for the other box in keeping with the 3rd rail Network South East Southern scheme so if I ever got around to exhibiting it (althought spending 2 days moving a loco off one board onto another may get a bit tedious) :senile:   , you get 2 layouts for the price of one in effect...

Hope this makes sense I'm at work for 4 days (4 on 4 off) but will put some pics up later in the week which may explain better what I am trying to achieve.

Cheers

Steve

PS Thanks for the comments all.. :good:

Good thinking - fiddle yards waste a lot of space. (It is the same idea as a 'U' shaped layout having 2 terminals.)

Some American layouts just have a 'staging track', & just pretend that the train has just arrived at that point before starting to 'switch the cars'.

As I mentioned in my original post I travelled far and wide on the rail network this was more in search of new or rare haulage behind locomotives, I didn't really do the spotting thing once I got the loco 'bashing' bug. You did have a book to underline but it was those locos you'd had for haulage rather than seen.

'Bashing' involved mainly searching out those rare locos those normally "freight only" that were working passenger services for whatever reason be it failure of the original train loco or in the height of summer when the use of heat producing locos wasn't needed as much.

"Loco Bashing" in its extreme involved sticking your head,body and arms out of whatever and wherever you could to savour the sound and thrash of the loco hauling you up front and generally flying like a plane.... some people thought bad of this and thought we were doing 'Nazi' salutes which wasn't the case it was more of a salute to the power of the loco, savouring the wind on your face and being free. Photographers also didn't like us as they say it spoiled their 'perfect' shot but they probably now have a more interesting photo as it shows an 'underground' social scene that has been more or less wiped out.

To show an example of what you felt when 'Bashing' think of Kate Winslet from the Titanic movie, look here's a Picture to show her, there she is  :maninlove: "Bashing" the Titanic , look at her face, the outstretched arms, the wind in her hair, now imagine your behind a class 37, 40 or pair of class 20's on a passenger train ..... that's the"bashing" feeling that you get...

leonardo-dicaprio-kate-winslet-lg.jpg

Now you'll never watch that movie again in the same way... LOL  :O

So what's this got to do with my layout......... well I've never seen this modelled? It may have been but I've never seen it.

So I bought myself a cheap Hornby Weathered and had a look around now no one seems to produce model "Bashers" so I had to look around and found some little people who were waving their arms that could be adapted.... and I found Subbuteo football fans little peeps with outstretched arms.

Everything purchased and were off.....

Stripping down the coach was easy enough just 2 screws holding it together and painting the people was ok, There were some non arm waving peeps in the bundle I bought so these had their legs chopped off and became "Normal" passengers to sit in the seats to frown on those 'oinks' sticking their heads out the window.

I needed to open the windows out on the coach so rather than work from the outside with a knife and risk damaging all of the 'glass' by pushing it through while cutting I used my mini drill with a slitting disc and lightly made several cross cuts over the window area just remember to do it lightly so you dont go right through the coach side.

post-12740-0-37917300-1396182956_thumb.jpg

This enables me to just cut the fine bits of 'glass' that were left rather than try to cut a square out.

post-12740-0-32252800-1396183036_thumb.jpg

Everything tidied up it looked quite good.

post-12740-0-42392700-1396183089_thumb.jpg

I repeated with all of the windows where I wanted a 'Basher' to be..

Next taking my little Subbuteo people

post-12740-0-52040900-1396183176_thumb.jpg

I chopped their legs and one arm off as they were not required.

post-12740-0-67820300-1396183641_thumb.jpg

at this stage make sure if your doing both sides of a coach you need some right arms left and some left arms left and make sure they all face the same way...

next I glued them into position and added a small square of card behind them to give the glue a bit more to grab onto rather than just the door frame and ......

Voilà

post-12740-0-70122500-1396183391_thumb.jpg 

post-12740-0-73416700-1396183398_thumb.jpg

post-12740-0-51027400-1396183415_thumb.jpg

Then assemble everything back together and place on the layout.

33035 arrives at Bankside with "Bashers" flailing out of the windows.. "My Lordz"..... :declare:

post-12740-0-65014700-1396183487_thumb.jpg

post-12740-0-64260200-1396185053_thumb.jpg

post-12740-0-05575700-1396183506_thumb.jpg

post-12740-0-45762500-1396183514_thumb.jpg

Not sure how they would get on going through a tunnel or meeting an oncoming train though so take this into account if your going to recreated the scene.... you may have some fatalities if not.

So now I've recreated another scene from my memory....

Enjoy,

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hellfire.... Wrong traction though at least its Sulzer! (as an ex spoon goon)

I once did this on a charter rake of N gauge mk1's, I only did one side so I could use for both diesel and steam charters

Good work!

Some early morning shots and Bankside is still active with the Newspaper traffic for the South coast.

post-12740-0-98866800-1396265302_thumb.jpg

The MLV arrives to be loaded with the latest News

post-12740-0-26304700-1396265330_thumb.jpg

Sitting at the buffers while "Bert" loads her up

post-12740-0-59655100-1396265377_thumb.jpg

Heljan 33035 awaits the Crew to run Light engine to the Depot.

While Spock enjoys a pint of Heineken behind....

post-12740-0-23156400-1396265391_thumb.jpg

33035 ticks over on Platform 2, the driver is away in the bothy with his "Free" copy of this morning's paper... 

post-12740-0-04691400-1396265345_thumb.jpg

The Station staff explains to "George the Banker" he's just missed the last train...Oh no poor George....

Hi Steve

I love your little cameos. Not only are they so atmospheric, but you completely forget that this is such a small, simple layout. Brutes on the platform take my mind back to the good old days of proper trains with (blue) loco haulage.

Have you firmed up your ideas of how to deal with that tricky transition from one box to the other? You've made such a great job with the perspective on the other end that you need to look twice to confirm its flat.

Nigel

Was thinking of a road overbridge and doing something similar with the platforms disapearing into the darkness as the end I've modelled in part of a longer station. Just trying to find some suitable pictures to use and also time to get it sorted as I'm not off again until the weekend. 

Trying to find pictures of platforms without trains on while going into darkness is a bit difficult, perhaps something like Birmingham New Street for inspiration. 

Cheers

Steve

Archived