To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

Inadvertent S Scale Parts

• RMweb Premium

There must be many dozens of ready-made parts and accessories which were designed for other scales but are very usable for a 1/64 scale model. I am finding a few as I gather up ideas for my next layout, which will be a narrow gauge affair with 9mm (two foot) gauge track.

I've started this topic as a placeholder to hold potentially useful things, perhaps other people can add to it.

My first list:

Wills OO Scenic Series part no. SSMP212 brickwork, plain bond ... twenty courses measures 27 mm, about 5 ft 6 in so a little over scale, but it looks right.

Norev diecast model cars, sold in some supermarkets, for example a modern Fiat 500.

Dart Castings whitemetal sheep, I believe originally designed for 4mm but a tad too big

Subuteo football supporters

Petite Properties miniature dolls houses, their 1:48 Stationmasters' Cottage is closer to 1:64 after minor surgery

- Richard.

Thanks for starting this thread, Richard. This could become a very useful forum for hints and tips of where to source other-scale' model items which could be utilised in S scale.

I know that many of the MSE signal finial castings, for instance, are somewhat over-scale and look much better in 1:64 scale.

More 1:64-suitable suggestions please!

A lot of the Del Prado fire engine range are 1/64

http://legeros.com/toys/guides/del.pdf

Hi Phil,

Thanks for this. Following your link, it looks like several of the Del Prado models are marked "64". But I'd be very wary of manufacturer's claims, as often these are nominal sizes only (to fit the die-blocks). Same with all die-cast road vehicles available new or on eBay. To be sure, you need to check the model wheelbase against a scale drawing. But if it is truly S scale, or at least in the 1:62 to 1:66 range, then it should look fine on an S scale layout. 1:60 scale (5mm = 1 foot) generally looks too big, while anything verging towards the high '60s looks way too small.

The first six or so horse-drawn vehicles (and a motor bus) in the original Lledo 'Days Gone' range were all about 1:64 scale. Some also came with a plastic sprue of five or six Edwardian or 1930s-50s era human figures as well. Very useful. These models can usually be picked up second-hand at swap-meets or on trade stands at shows for only a couple of quid or less. In fact, go for the even cheaper un-boxed or chipped models, as you will probably want to upgrade and repaint them anyway. Lledo have also produced a number of 1930s to 1950s lorries and traction engines, which are S scale. The Lledo 'Vanguard' series of late '50s/early '60s lorries (a Commer, Bedford and are also 1:64 (but not their cars and vans, which are 1:43).

Corgi also currently do a number of 'period' road vehicles at or close to 1:64 scale, which as worth snapping up. The older die-cast ranges from Efsi, Matchbox and Dinkey are also worth investigating, as many are S scale or very close.

Some years ago, Jas Millham undertook a survey of then available S scale road vehicles which was published in the SSMRS 'Gazette'. This is still available as a pdf copy to members (from the SSMRS website 'Members Area' http://www.s-scale.org.uk/main.htm , I think). But this needs revising and updating. Similarly, Andy May undertook a survey of S scale (or close) human figures, including suitable 25mm war-gaming figures, which was published in the 'Gazette' and here http://www.s-scale.org.uk/figures.htm

Half the fun of working in S scale is hunting out and adapting this stuff, of course. And there is a surprising amount available once you start looking!

Happy hunting!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just bought some Faller embossed stone card - my golly I was last buying this stuff thirty-five years ago! On these "H0" sheets (p/n 170602 and 170604), the mortar joints are about 0.7mm wide, scaling up to something still a tad overscale at 1:64 but quite pleasing to the eye. More to the point, I've got a chance to finish my building project without ruining it during the painting ;-)

- Richard.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm a wargamer, and mostly use 28mm figures (it's not a scale), and our community find we are using stuff from 1/64th to 1/48th scale sources, with 1/56th probably being the most popular.

For buildings, we are increasingly using laser cut MDF buildings. These should fit into S Scale layouts easily enough. Petite Properties has been mentioned and they are on the larger end of what we use.

Some more suppliers are:

4 Ground

Sarissa

They are very approachable, and I've had custom stuff knocked up for me very quickly.

Hovels, are a long standing company doing resin buildings, they are true 25mm buildings so probably closer to 1/64th scale than other manufacturers and they do a lot of scenery stuff.

There are any number of companies producing terrain items (boxes, barrels, cargo, brick or stone walls) in resin or white metal for 28mm figures which should easily fit with S Scale.

We also use and abuse the old "Vehicles of Yesteryear" die cast toy cars - we can take them apart and repaint them easily to be less "shiney". Figures for passengers are also starting to be produced.

There are some civilian cars also being produced as resin/white metal kits that might be of use to some railway modellers.

HTH

Giles.

• RMweb Premium

Went to the dolls house show in Kensington yesterday.

Richard Stacey make stone slips but they don't give dimensions on their web site. Their 1:12 scale 'yellow sandstone cobbles' measure about 15 x 10 mm and will make a beautiful paved surface for a rural station platform or a patio. Their 1:24 grey cobbles are about 7 x 5 mm and, as a mixture of greys and browns tone well as coping stones with Scalescenes brick paper, or as stone courses on the side of a wall.

It was quite an expensive day out, but it will be easier than cutting up sheets of card and the texture of real stone seems to scale well.

- Richard.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some current diecast model cars which all measure up within 1 mm on external dimensions for 1:64 scale:

Matchbox F34 - 1940s Willys Jeep (red), F44 -Toyota 1985 4Runner (grey), F05 1968 Toyota Landcruiser (gold).

Majorette 237C - Audi A5 coupe (black)

Hot Wheels - Mazda RX-7 (red)

I've included the colours to help anyone looking in the supermarket. All are £1 to £1.50. The three Matchbox ones will need repainting for use in most settings.

- Richard.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I bought some "00/HO" wall and bridge mouldings from Langley Miniature Models for my current HO-ish project and they measure up well against the usual British loading gauge for 1/64 scale - especially the single track tunnel portal and the overbridge. Perhaps this is why you see them on relatively few layouts - they are nice-looking mouldings but "big". The stone retaining walls would probably work from 1:90 to 1:45 without visually jarring, depending on how critical you feel.

- Richard.

Archived