Haskell 0n30 NA Class 'Puffing Billy' from NGTrains / EDM Models

Andy Y

19.jpg

I've had the pleasure of something different to photograph and review thanks to Paul at NGtrains in the shape of Australia's Victorian Railways NA Class 2-6-2T. Baldwin built the first two examples with Newport Works then building a further 15 locos from 1898 to 1915 and it's the Newport manufactured model which has been produced by Haskell in Taiwan. Six of the locos are preserved on the Puffing Billy Railway north of Melbourne.

The two examples here are the plain black version with original smoke stack and the Canadian Red version. The black version will also available with a modern tapered chimney (as on 8A) and with red handrails and buffer beams. There is also an Apple Green livery which will suit 6A as preserved. The selection of models can be found on EDM's site here http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Haskell/NA1.html

1.jpg

This really is a beautiful little model, a 1/48th scale model to run on HO track to suit the 2'6" gauge of the prototype. There's a wealth of detail which is exceptionally well defined and a well-applied paint job. Although plastic-chassied and bodied there's a respectable 292g of weight to it before the brass 'bullets' shown in the detailing pack image at the bottom are added. Paul feels they may add top-heavy weight and additional weight, if needed, is better added to the side tanks.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

The model is expected to be available in the UK in around 6-8 weeks and is expected to be around the £270.00 mark which I think is respectable value for money although the final price will depend on finalised shipping costs and the take-up of orders. The models were well pacakaged but there are to be further revisions to the packaging and some parts in the detail pack before distribution.

Paul is working to create a sound decoder with licensed recordings, further details whether this will be a customer fit or by EDM Models in due course.

7.jpg

8.jpg

16.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

I've given the locos a good run around HO track and points and they performed very smoothly with slow-speed running possible through to a maximum speed of around 30mph. The directional lighting gives a pale yellow light which the impressive reflector amplifies.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

The detail pack includes cow-catchers and some very appealing lamps, the etched number-plates with this early sample are slightly over-sized and this is being reviewed at present.

20.jpg

To order a model please go to NGtrains pages here - http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Haskell/NA1.html

Preserved loco reference material - http://pbps.puffingbilly.com.au/rolling-stock/locomotive-fleet/na-class/

Historical information - http://www.steamlocomotive.com/australia/audata.php?wheel=2-6-2&page=vgr

• RMweb Gold

I don't need to start modelling Australia but tempting .

The originals were by Baldwin so you run them with your American stuff.

The other key thing with them is that once you get past them being of a specific prototype they provide something that 0 scale (whichever flavour) narrow gauge modelling has needed for a long time - a big tank engine ripe for customising.

Personally, I think that Bachmann have screwed up with their recent models whilst Ixion (for standard gauge) and Haskell (for narrow gauge) are spot on. I suppose I had better justify that a bit.

I think Bachmann had it right with the origins of their 0n30 range in that they were relatively no frills models but the key thing was they were low cost and plastic. These two things together made them both affordable and practical to customise and I wouldn't be surprised is there were more modified than out of the box moguls out there.  Fast forward to today and their range is increasingly esoteric (when you produce a 2-6-6-2 Mallet that doesn't sell the obvious thing to do is bring out a 2-4-4-2 Mallet that also doesn't sell), expensive and having moved to die cast metal bodies harder than ever to modify.  Take the Heisler, super model but £225 makes you think twice about setting about it with a craft knife and if you do you break the blade as the thing is metal.

The Ixion Fowler and Hudswell Clark and the Haskell NA are superb models in their own right but they have an added value in that they are affordable starting points for customising and easy to do. I am looking forward to my two NA's returning home so I can get sound in them and start on customising them.

The originals were by Baldwin so you run them with your American stuff.

The other key thing with them is that once you get past them being of a specific prototype they provide something that 0 scale (whichever flavour) narrow gauge modelling has needed for a long time - a big tank engine ripe for customising.

I think you're spot on there Paul; I was talking to Phil Parker earlier discussing just that point and he suggested it would be a good L&B neverwoz, a sort of Big Lyn.

• RMweb Gold

I think you're spot on there Paul; I was talking to Phil Parker earlier discussing just that point and he suggested it would be a good L&B neverwoz, a sort of Big Lyn.

OK, so who is going to be first to chop a driving wheel and about 20mm out of one?

• RMweb Gold

Now then, how do I convince myself that The Marshwood Vale Railway DOESN'T need one???

Dave

Reliable off the peg motive power! The CME of Marshwood Vale would grab one if offered so he could withdraw that complicated "two of everything" contraption.

If you look at all the railways in South Africa that started with NGG16's they all ended up using NG15's when they became available not for any reason of massive technological advance but simply because they only have one of everything.  [bookmark this somewhere and look back after NG15 134 is running in North Wales]

• RMweb Gold

I agree completely on the Bachmann points Paul, they missed a trick with cheap n cheerful C16 and K series locos which would probably have sold better to the Colorado followers? Why they don't use the same models and research for On30 and G I really don't know. Just wish I'd taken the plunge and cleared it out earlier for On3. We live and learn.

The L&B super power, (LynTON maybe?), was what I was thinking but with RhB Om & 5 On30 DRGW models I think I'll have to focus for a bit and see if I get a bonus this year.

• 2 months later...

In a break from my usual conservative practice (wait for reviews and then buy) I have bought two of them, a black one and a green one, such was my excitement at having this type of engine.  I have to say I am very impressed, the running is excellent with no excessive noise, they run well without the brass dome weights, I fitted them anyway as matter of course.  What pleased me was how easily they come apart, yes you have a seam on the boiler at the front but its not the end of the world.  They come with actual proper Kadee couplers which work well as you'd expect.  The green one is absolutely gorgeous, the livery application is spot on.  The black ones finish is a bit too matt for my liking but I'm happy to overlook that, the real ones have a quite shiny gloss finish.  It really is very old school Bachmann-esque.  I'm now trying to avoid buying a red one!  I hope Haskell produce some coaches to go with it.

One interesting note, they will run through less than the recommended 18 inch radius curves.  I haven't tried it with a train but they will get through my loco yard no problem and there are some 1st radius in there.

Matt

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have all versions of the black in stock and when I get home (currently driving Fairlie's for two weeks in North Wales) I will be finalising a re-order for the Maroon and Green ones which should be here by the end of the month.

Also when I get home I must get on with the sound installs on the 20+ now waiting

• RMweb Premium

Oh no I mustn't, oh no I mustn't, oh no I mustn't (which does not mean I don't like it).  Just as well I didn't go there when I was in Aus - because then it would be even harder to resist.

Go on, go on,another narrow gauge convert ? ? ?

Dave/

Oh no I mustn't, oh no I mustn't, oh no I mustn't (which does not mean I don't like it).  Just as well I didn't go there when I was in Aus - because then it would be even harder to resist.

I did go there when we were in Aus. 5 years ago and had a cab ride on 6A so it made it impossible to resist!

Arthur

• RMweb Premium

I did go there when we were in Aus. 5 years ago and had a cab ride on 6A so it made it impossible to resist!

Arthur

Hi Arthur, 

Long time no see/hear, how are you?  Hows the modelling?

All the best,

Dave.

Hi Arthur, 

Long time no see/hear, how are you?  Hows the modelling?

All the best,

Dave.

Hi David

Good to hear from you.

I'm still working (very slowly) on both my 7mm NG layout Wigmore and the P4 layout Wigmore Road Sidings but I'm afraid most of my spare time is now taken up with archery and chairing my club, the Bracken Company of Archers. I discovered archery back in 2011 just after I finished a course of radiotherapy for prostate cancer. I needed something to lift me both mentally and physically and although modelling played it's part, it wasn't enough. I took a beginners archery course and was immediately hooked on the sport. One thing led to another and now I'm not only Chairman but also the editor of our monthly newsletter which recently won the award for best Regional, County or Club Newsletter in the UK. So even though I've been retired for 10 years now I seem to be busier than ever. Hopefully this winter will allow me to complete the trackwork on Wigmore and then consider some scenic work. I will post on here when I have something new to show. In the mean time the Puffing Billy loco will provide an alternative source of motive power to the W&L loco featured on your layout thread. I've a rake of Ashover coaches to build which I think will look very good behind it.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread!

Regards

Arthur

I have  just  unpacked  the  loco from its  box, ( very well packed  in what appears to be  today's norm of  plastic shaped loco holding packing within a plastic  sleeve in a very  stout cardboard  outer  box, those who are familiar  with Heljans cardboard outer boxes will know  the  quality)

I have given the  loco a quick test  on analogue power  on a yard of  track I plonked down on  our H0e layout (very much work in progress there!!)  it  ran very smoothly  and  crawled  brilliantly,  the lights illuminate at full brightness at very low voltage,

I was impressed  at  the  amount  of  'run on' the loco has  due to the  fly wheel when  the  power is suddenly switched off

A rough pic attached  any of  the  bits & pieces in the pic  are  nothing  to do  with  the  Na loco !!!! :O

post-10539-0-15320900-1408010380.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Tips.....

• Do fit the bullet weights in the domes. It improves the running even more
  • Running improves with some running in plus I think it polished the blackened tryes a bit
  • If you glue the tank strap on only glue to the boiler and not the tanks or you can't subsequently open the loco up

• RMweb Gold

How easy is does it look to fit a decoder, sound or non sound?

Decoder - Easy peazy

Sound Decoder - Two ways to go. Easy but the wrong end goes chuff or a bit more work and the right end goes chuff and includes keep alive.

The model is designed to have the speaker in the bunker and has wired to it for this although you do have to solder the speaker in and also make soldered connections in the boiler. The installation I offer takes a bit more rewiring and has a speaker in the smokebox with a keep alive unit in the bunker. I install am ESU decoder with genuine NA class sounds. The only downside to the conversion I offer is there is a bit of a queue at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

I've only ventured to a few spots along the Puffing Billy railway (not to be pedantic, but to correct Andy in the leading post, Belgrave and the line emanating out into the bush to Gembrook is to the south-east of the main metropolitan area of Melbourne), but the scenery alone is truly spectacular and an absolute must-see for anyone planning a holiday to Australia.

I took a short video of a shunting movement while there last year; the quality isn't brilliant but the wheel-slip and effort from 8A certainly makes up for it! On the same day, Garratt G42 was in service as well which made for a pleasant surprise - it took off just as we arrived in the car sadly so I wasn't able to get very good pictures of it. 

I'm really tempted by the prospect of modelling the PBR in some way/shape/form - especially as a great kit for the Queensland Railways DH-class diesel loco exists (which was re-gauged to 2'6" from QLD's native 3'6" to be used as motive power on fire-ban days). If EDM Models comes through with their proposed Garratt kit.... well...

Archived