... and that is a problem, because..?? ... ;) :locomotive:

You gotta define what is rickety first. What track distortion your cars will handle depends on how much truck equalization and truck bolster side tilt freedom you have.

Also rickety should only cover up-down stuff. You can't mess with the track gauge beyond the standard limits.

Andy

. You can't mess with the track gauge beyond the standard limits.

Andy

The SP in Houston did, and put a lot of rolling stock in the dirt!  Deferred maintenance and a boom in the chemical industry was a recipe for some hair raising railroading... see Linda Niemann, 'Boomer in a Boom Town'.

I'm not doing rickety, it upsets my OCD  :D

The SP in Houston did, and put a lot of rolling stock in the dirt!  Deferred maintenance and a boom in the chemical industry was a recipe for some hair raising railroading... see Linda Niemann, 'Boomer in a Boom Town'.

I'm not doing rickety, it upsets my OCD   :D

That's not what I think of as a "prototypically working model" :cry:

Edited by Andy Reichert

Well, ok, I guess you're almost back to the original track arrangement but seems to me you've made some important changes along the way. You have fewer but longer sidings which straightaway makes everything look more realistic. Also, you recognized early on that the four track yard was just too much and reduced it to two, which looks better and doesn't waste real estate on turnouts.

Even with no scenery there is an open work-in-progress look of a modern industrial park.

Mike

This comment from Mike really chimed.  I spent a lot of today assembling buildings, and moving them around - composing in the flesh, I suppose.  I realised that if I followed through on Mike's comment about a 'modern industrial park' quite a few issues disappeared, and a surprising opportunity arose.  I also enjoyed the link Simon supplied to Trevor Marshall's essay on operating a very short freight... it got me thinking that I wanted a modern equivalent experience. Short trains, interesting locomotives...

So although I'm very much still basing it in my beloved South West, the theme has slightly shifted to being a modern rail served industrial park.  There aren't too many of these in that part of the world, but there is a fascinating one just east of Tucson  (called Port of Tucson), which has two GP30 and a GP28 in what look to be Arizona Eastern Railroad colours.

Anyway, I got to rethinking my railroad along these lines.  Now the roundy roundy makes perfect sense, as rail parks often incorporate a loop, and I can at some stage introduce some freelance AZER painted switchers.

In the meantime, SP are providing a pair of MP15ACs.  The slight rearrangement of the track here gives another industry spur on the left, and the line straight on will now head to the engine-house

.post-238-0-46403000-1428356423_thumb.jpg

This gives a nice spot to photograph locomotives standing on the shop lead.

post-238-0-82706500-1428356479_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-40358400-1428356501_thumb.jpg

What's interesting is how actually moving buildings around is suggesting how to arrange things, and how the increasing number of buildings is starting to develop a sense of place.

post-238-0-58464400-1428356603_thumb.jpg

This scene is particularly pleasing to the eye, and became pivotal to the idea of the rail park.

The ready mix plant has been everywhere looking for a home, and once the rail park idea took hold, what was formerly a mainline is now a spur and that gives a handy corner site for the ready mix plant and some other aggregate associated plant a home - finally!

post-238-0-54512000-1428356756_thumb.jpg

The two tracks beyond the hopper are now the in and outbound exchange tracks, from the rail park back to the former SP Sunset Route.

I must say, I am enjoying this current burst of activity greatly, and I much appreciate all of your comments and insights.  Keep them coming!

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 5

Another splendid day - mostly assembling the Walthers Processing Center, and adding the finishing touches to the Ready Mix plant.  Then a short operating session.  I took a few pictures during the day.

post-238-0-29786100-1428442488_thumb.jpg

This vista has taken on some additional interest now the Processing Center is complete.  I must say, the current release of Walthers Cornerstone kits are very good indeed.

post-238-0-51251200-1428442584_thumb.jpg

The whole north-east corner is really starting to come together.  I may add a Pikestuff engine house, or just have an open air concrete apron for the resident switcher.

post-238-0-60683800-1428442562_thumb.jpg

The Ready Mix plant now has all the pipes and hoist added, which adds a lot of interest to the building.  This is the north-west corner and is also looking pretty good now.  I may add the Glacier Industrial Sands plant here, and move this plant to the near side of the tracks.

Finally a couple of portraits of the current resident switchers.

post-238-0-33000800-1428442938_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-73297200-1428442958_thumb.jpg

Over the next few days I plan to operate to work out the kinks, and to look at not just the industry car capacity but also the type of cars required.  For example, the dirty old generic 50 single door box cars are probably fine for bringing in scrap paper and such for the recyclers, but I'm fairly sure the outgoing new paper products would travel in something else.  

Anyone know any good guides to car types and what traffic they would be used for?  Some types are obvious, but I'd like to match specific types to the specific industries - cushion cars, hi-cubes, maybe a couple of reefers...

• Like 5

The answer to my question arrived in the post this morning.  I took a punt on buying Lance Mindheim's How to Operate a Modern Era switching Layout.

It's a good read and has certainly cleared up some of the questions I had, and I'll certainly be making another small adjustment to the iron on the ground in light of what I've read so far.

Today it was warm enough to finish off some spraying I had to do, some more work on the small details of the buildings and a bit of an operating session.

I won't post too many pics, as they're a touch repetitive but a couple are worth sharing.

post-238-0-47591500-1428530172_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-55375800-1428530194_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Dear Doc G-F,

I could look at pictures of your scarlet and grey Espee switchers (& others) all day long, especially if you combine them with Alcos, lovely stuff!

Just not too keen on anything in amour yellow though as they gobbled up three of my former loves!

Anyway, glad you've found something to keep your mojo up and running, long may it continue.

Cheers,

John.

Another day working on the layout. This was the state of play at the end of yesterday.

post-238-0-37997800-1428700947_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-16267900-1428701012_thumb.jpg

and then this morning, after an early start...

post-238-0-01801800-1428701037_thumb.jpg

:D

After an evening of reading 'How to operate a modern era switching layout', cover to cover, I went for the 'full Mindheim.'  I stripped out as many switches as I could, reduced the number of spurs and at the same time lengthened them where possible,  I also moved the short run-round to the middle of the pike, adjacent to what seems to be becoming a bakery sort of place.

It meant practically rebuilding almost the entire layout, but I got everything back together and roughly wired up for a test run before knocking off for dinner.

Here's how things look for now.  There's much more space for buildings and roads, and much more room for trains to switch in,  Reading the Mindheim book answered some major questions I had, which were stopping me from being fully comfortable with a 'full-Mindheim' minimalist track approach.  Now I've gained a better understanding of protptypical switching operations, the minimal trackage makes sense - and indeed, becomes imperative.;. To my eyes at least, it all looks much more balanced now, and more convincing even without a full complement of structures in place.

post-238-0-51274200-1428701103_thumb.jpg

The old dock spur now forms a short run round adjacent to the 'bakery'.  The old tanks which were on their own spur, now are much more logically sited and make good use of an existing spur and allowing me to get rid of one.

post-238-0-94555000-1428701137_thumb.jpg

This area looks a lot less cluttered now, as well as being operationally much more useful.  

post-238-0-94624700-1428701165_thumb.jpg

Getting rid of the short spur that used to serve the tanks meant that I could lengthen the spur into the south west corner industry, and by eliminating one short spur and the associated switch I could also increase the radius past the industry from 30" to 42".  This line is now the 'main' where trains will be staged mostly out of sight behind another industry served from the nearest curved spur.

post-238-0-84432700-1428701194_thumb.jpg

Heading back round to the northern side, this is where the biggest changes have taken place.  I've eliminated all but three switches, and two long spurs.  This area looks much better now, much more 'railroady' and less 'model railroad'...

post-238-0-56571400-1428701235_thumb.jpg

There will be two industries here served by the same spur - it's almost seven feet long - in two similar styled buildings.

post-238-0-20651800-1428701326_thumb.jpg

...and finally for tonight, a similar viewpoint from the first photo - what a difference a day makes!  Not just a complete change in the iron in the ground, but what feels like the successful resolution of a number of bugs that were getting in the way of fully enjoying what I was trying to achieve.  I know Lance's views attract a fairly polarised response, but I for one am pretty pleased at least one of his books has got me past a particular road block and helped build something which looks better balanced, more convincing and should provide plenty of interesting and authentic operation potential.

It's been quite a journey this week, hope you've enjoyed it half as much as I have!

• Like 6

My own modeling started to change about a decade and a half ago when a friend and I modified a track arrangement on part of our club layout. As the scene we were creatng expanded with lengthy sidings and appropriate space for buildings it became more realistic in both looks and operations. Basically we took several small scenes with short track segments and melded them into one large scene.

I'm constantly doing the same with my own layout which runs around the perimeter of a room above a garage: longer sidings and larger structures without any truncation if I can get aay with it. I have the Lance Mndheim's book on operating small layouts which provided more help.

Railroad Model Craftsman ran an article in late 2000 about a modern shortline serving a small city (Batavia, NY); this rr stored its locomotive in a metal building on a customer's property.

Obviously, I like what you've done.

Mike

First prototypical operating session - part one

I did some rewiring this morning, then staged the layout properly to run a prototypical switching run.  The aim was to see how long it would take, and to make sure everything worked as intended both technically and conceptually.

So, let's grab the camera and jump in the car and catch the local job at work on this fine spring Saturday morning.

Our first glimpse is as the train emerges from behind some concrete silos, and we're pleased to see a pair of patched BNSF GP38s are today's power.  This might seem like a lot of power for the half-dozen or so cars that will be worked here, but later on in the day it'll pick up some traffic from other locations we don't have time to visit.

post-238-0-71144200-1428771669_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-65665900-1428771704_thumb.jpg

As the power pulls up and stops just short of the grade crossing,we can see there are six cars in tow.  

post-238-0-30173200-1428771770_thumb.jpg

The conductor dismounts, and walks ahead to line the switch into the siding, then flags the train across the grade crossing.

post-238-0-35210100-1428771863_thumb.jpg

the conductor waits for the last car to reach the clearance point, and then realigns the switch.  Then it's a long hike to the far end of the siding to uncouple the power, open the switch at the end of this double-ended siding, then at least he can ride the stepwell back to the grade crossing.  (I've seen jobs like this in Arizona where the two man crew are assisted by a third man in a company truck, driving the conductor to and fro.)

post-238-0-52053500-1428772102_thumb.jpg

The engineer takes the power back across the road, the conductor throws the switch and the power backs down to the consist. Then it pulls forward, leaving behind the SSW hydra-cushion car which is for an industry further down the line.

post-238-0-85539100-1428772209_thumb.jpg

The consist pulls forward clear of the crossing, and the conductor relines the switch, then climbs the last car and talks the engineer back into the industry.  There's another stop as one more switch is lined, then the tank cars can be dropped at their spot next to the tanks.

post-238-0-97504500-1428772381_thumb.jpg

Having uncoupled the tank cars, the conductor rides the stirrups as the power pulls the remaining cars clear of the switch to the next spur.

post-238-0-90177100-1428772458_thumb.jpg

Once again this move involves clearing the grade crossing which slows everything down.  Then the back up move is made to drop the box cars at their spots.  There's one slight wrinkle - the doors do not align with the cars if they remain coupled, so the consist has to be split and each car pulled to its spot, uncoupled and handbrake set.  This takes a whole lot longer than just shoving the cars in and dropping them.

post-238-0-26739400-1428772577_thumb.jpg

Once that move is complete, the power clears out of the industry, pulls past the crossing and then backs into the double ended siding where the SSW box car is waiting at the west end of the siding.

We'll leave then there, as we have to jump into the car to get to the next spot to observe the work f this Saturday morning local.  Part two to follow....

• Like 7

First prototypical operating session - part two

The next area to be switched consists of one long trailing spur that serves two industries, one long facing spur that serves two more industries including an LPG dealership, and short facing spur that handles single boxcars or center beams for the local builders supplies.  The local arrives, shoving the SSW box.  The conductor dismounts, and unlocks the switches to enable the SSW car to be placed out of the way.  It's going to be swapped for an empty car that is returning to the main yard in town.  Then there's a single 50 foot GWS box to pick up from the trailing spur.  Problem is, the GWS car is at the far end of the spur and there are two other cars in front of it that need to be moved, then placed back at their unloading spots.  So although there aren't many cars or spurs, there's a lot to keep the crew busy untangling the various elements.

post-238-0-95053700-1428786189_thumb.jpg

First, the SSW car is shoved into a handy free slot beyond the switch accessing the empty ATSF box.

post-238-0-92379100-1428786327_thumb.jpg

Then the power backs up, leaving the SSW car safely out of the way.  There's the GWS that's next to collect...

post-238-0-30936400-1428786470_thumb.jpg

Reversing direction again, the power passes the switch that gives access to the trailing spur.  The conductor doesn't have so much ground to cover as the switches are reasonably closely grouped - and there are only three of them - but the engineer is earning his pay, with frequent changes of direction and a great deal of throttle and brake work

post-238-0-35769200-1428786782_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-19117700-1428786808_thumb.jpg

The two cars in the way require a stop at each, release the handbrake, move up to the next, repeat the procedure, then finally couple up to the third car, which is the one to be pulled.  The other two will have to be put back on spot.  This takes some time, and is not simply a matter of barging into the spur without stopping and pulling all three cars in a hurry.  Safety first!

post-238-0-42448500-1428786965_thumb.jpg

Finally,all three are out of the spur, and being propelled so that the GWS box is out of harms way while the two double doors get set back, and then the crew can swap the SSW load for the ATSF empty... nothing happens in a hurry, even with so little track and cars to deal with.

post-238-0-07373900-1428787112_thumb.jpg

...another change of direction, the power is pulling the two cars to be re-spotted, leaving the GWS car tied down with the handbrake on a couple of hundred yards in the clear.  The conductor will be racking up handbrakes all day it seems.

post-238-0-88462400-1428787276_thumb.jpg

Since the GWS car is to be moved anyway, the crew have tied it on to the power while they swap the loaded and empty cars in the facing spur.  Thankfully, this is pretty straightforward, but still requires time to throw switches, release handbrakes, make the couplings, and on and on... it's no desk job, for sure.

post-238-0-63060400-1428787467_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-55162000-1428789233_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-07733000-1428787767_thumb.jpg

Finally,  the cars are spotted correctly and made secure, and the power sets off back to the short double ended siding where the train will be re-blocked for departure.   Note that for a short distance, the power is sandwiched between boxcars.  It's no great distance and no crossings are involved so no special precautions need to be taken.

post-238-0-59316600-1428788049_thumb.jpg

A quick run round leaving the GWS in the siding, and then putting the ATSF car in front.  More throwing switches, and each time the grade crossing has to be kept clear, and guarded against auto traffic.  One more industry to switch...

post-238-0-01863000-1428788094_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, it's another facing spur move but at least this time there are no other cars that need to be moved and then re-spotted, so this one is a relatively quick pull...

post-238-0-54694200-1428788173_thumb.jpg

,,, followed by running round the cars in the siding, shoving the NS car onto the rear of the consist, then coupling, connecting air hoses and a set and release,  Then the local can shove off for the next job, but we'll leave them at this point, heading back along the spur where we first saw them.

post-238-0-44876200-1428788349_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-06865500-1428788376_thumb.jpg

Overall, I would judge the exercise to be a success.  Time taken was around fifty real-time minutes.  I could rethink one or two moves to be more efficient, and I could slow down a little at points.

But satisfaction in terms of simulating a real job - pretty darn good i would say.  It's taken me some time to get to this point, but I hope you all enjoyed my meanderings towards a relaxed prototypical operating scheme.  What's abundantly clear is that fewer tracks, fewer cars, fewer everything spaced out gives a more satisfying experience.  The key is to take the time to do what the real job would entail = having been able to put this into practice after reading Lance's book has been revolutionary for me.

What's next?  More structures... better freight cars - don't need many, thankfully - DCC and sound is a must - a walk around throttle - and the pleasure of operating realistically, with a switch list and proper industries.  I don't know what goes on in mine at the moment!

post-238-0-79456300-1428790612_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

PS - how long did all of the switching you did in this post take. I'm going to guess at 15 - 20 minutes.

Andrew - in total for the two parts, 50 minutes!  And I rushed a couple of moves, so really I would expect an hour.  And I didn't switch all the industries....

I didn't get bored, the whole thing was completely absorbing, and with the addition of sound would be even better.

• Like 2

Thanks Trevor, I appreciate the comments.  After all, you are at least partly responsible for the positive direction things have taken lately!

In fact, a big thanks to all of you who take the time to add pithy comments, suggestions, wisecracks and so on, as I've definitely benefited from all your positive support over the past year this thread has been running.

• Like 4

Thanks Trevor, I appreciate the comments.  After all, you are at least partly responsible for the positive direction things have taken lately!

In fact, a big thanks to all of you who take the time to add pithy comments, suggestions, wisecracks and so on, as I've definitely benefited from all your positive support over the past year this thread has been running.

I'll second that. The roadshow series on Trainmasters TV has reawakened my modelling mojo. Thanks Trevor.

Doc, a trucker friend of mine says no way in hell could he back onto the loading doors of Lakeville Shipping. :-)

Doc, a trucker friend of mine says no way in hell could he back onto the loading doors of Lakeville Shipping. :-)

I didn't like to say the same thing at the time :O ... but following the progress here, I think they're re-locating premises anyway....  ;)

• Like 2

Not much to report here this week.  I've scratch-built a concrete warehouse, laid a curved turnout to complete the two spurs on the inner left hand side of the plan and run a short ops session this afternoon.

There won't be any progress next week either, as I'm on the 9.40 from T5 to LAX in the morning and working in LA all week.   I have a slightly odd schedule but there are a couple of days in the week to visit Colton and Cajon. I'm tempted to trek all the way up to Barstow, or maybe - as I am staying on the north western exit tot he LA basin - I should head up to Tehachapi, as I haven't been since 2009.

I'll see how the week pans out, thread and pictures will follow if I do get rail side. RMWebbers in the LA area this week are welcome to join me :D

• Like 1

Not much to report here this week.  I've scratch-built a concrete warehouse, laid a curved turnout to complete the two spurs on the inner left hand side of the plan and run a short ops session this afternoon.

There won't be any progress next week either, as I'm on the 9.40 from T5 to LAX in the morning and working in LA all week.   I have a slightly odd schedule but there are a couple of days in the week to visit Colton and Cajon. I'm tempted to trek all the way up to Barstow, or maybe - as I am staying on the north western exit tot he LA basin - I should head up to Tehachapi, as I haven't been since 2009.

I'll see how the week pans out, thread and pictures will follow if I do get rail side. RMWebbers in the LA area this week are welcome to join me :D

Hey it's only 3 + driving hours up to the Proto87 Stores - and glorious Grover and Pismo Beaches, where the Surfliners run free and the UP and Aunty-trak play.

Andy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been rather busy of late, but managed a couple of hours in the shed.

I did a bit of weathering on the GP38s.   Not completely happy yet, the 'faded paint' effect hasn't worked too well.  Needs a bit of a rethink. I also need to change the number boards!

post-238-0-92573000-1430691095_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-29992100-1430691122_thumb.jpg

and also knocked together some concrete warehouses from scraps.

post-238-0-54145500-1430691205_thumb.jpg

Can anyone suggest a decent concrete colour - slightly more buff than grey - in a rattlecan?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The management went shopping for a new, up to date switcher.  This is what they bought.  Local switch crews are reported to be furious.

post-238-0-75929300-1432545057_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-27814100-1432545086_thumb.jpg

There are rumours that this is the first of a number of modernised Tunnel Motors that will eventually form the core fleet of a rejuvenated Arizona Eastern Railway that has escaped the clutches of G&W and taken over the former SP routes around Phoenix, in addition to the existing AZER routes in the state.

• Like 2